What's new

Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen (1 Viewer)

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
A recent Michael Bay interview indicated that you will be working on the DVD/Blu-ray release. Any info you can share about it? Will it incorporate a PiP feature like the first Transformers? Will there be a separate disc for all the bonus features? Little tidbits would be great! :D

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Can't really say anything at this early stage, I'm afraid. But even though it's been one of the most challenging and ambitious projects I've ever worked on, I'm also having a blast.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks, Charlie. Color me superficial, but I'd love to see a little segment on the impact of Shia's injury on production, how that was worked around . . . and how he avoided being charged with DUI.

Zack, I think it's safe to say that Michael wouldn't use the word "skew" to refer to aspect ratio. When that bit from the article was quoted in pertinent part at blu-ray.com, the editors chose to spell out what Michael was pronouncing phonetically: "SKU." Google it if you need more info. I think he's referring to a separate "IMAX" BD release--as in, it will have its own UPC and be a version like the current TDK BD in that the IMAX sequences will be presented at 1.78. To some folks' elation, I take it there will be another release that will be 2.35 for the entire running time of the film, even the sequences shot with IMAX cameras that "open up" to occupy the entire ~1.4 aspect of the IMAX screen (IF you see it in true blood 15/70 IMAX not the IMO inferior digital IMAX with much smaller screens).

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

It didn't occur to me he could be saying SKU, and that does make sense, but it's still a large assumption to make. Given the context of the sentence I still don't believe this is any indication of separate Imax/non-Imax releases.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
What do you think Michael is referring to when he says "special IMAX [SKU]"? Simply a BD release with variable AR like TDK? How would that be "special"? It's been done before (on the home vid release of a pic Michael likely feels competitive about 'outdoing') and wasn't branded or marketed in any way as "special" or "IMAX."

Although it may be an intuitive leap (based in no small part upon Michael's past home vid accomplishments: Criterion's first blockbuster DVDs; a freakin' 4-disc Vista Series Pearl Harbor), I don't think it's a "large assumption."

Obviously we'll see with time. Keep us apprised, Chas!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Is there any news on when we might see Transfromers 2 released on Bluray? I am going to assume that this title will most likely include a Dolby True HD track.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Sorry the formatting didn't turn out right... No PiP which is kinda sad but overall the bonus features disc looks very comprehensive. Can't wait to see it. Oh, and DTS-HD MA sound too! :)

DETAILS (both Blu-ray and DVD) The disc breakdown is as follows: Disc One: • Commentary by Michael Bay, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman Disc Two: • The Human Factor: Exacting Revenge of the Fallen — This multi-chapter documentary chronicles the entire creation of the film and includes interviews with the cast and crew: - Seeds of Vengeance: Development and Design - After the overwhelming success of 2007's Transformers, how do the filmmakers top themselves for the sequel? - Domestic Destruction – Production: United States - Michael Bay believes in going big: Big action and big explosions. Cast and crew are pushed to the limit as they traverse the U.S. from New Mexico to Pennsylvania - Joint Operations – Production: Military - No other filmmaker in the world enjoys the kind of military access and cooperation Michael Bay has. Here we see just how efficient our armed forces are and the awe and respect shown by the cast - Wonders of the World – Production: Middle East - You can't really reproduce Egypt anywhere but Egypt so off we go to Giza and Luxor - Start Making Sense: Editing - In order to turn over the massive amount of film as quickly as possible to VFX, four editors work tirelessly in a unique tag-team approach to shape the film - Under the Gun: Visual Effects – Revenge of the Fallen features the most complicated VFX in film history. So complicated in fact that the filmmakers were unsure they would make the deadline. The DEVASTATOR VFX alone required 83% of ILM's total render farm capacity - Running the Gauntlet: Post-Production and Release: - Working seven days a week, Michael Bay and company usher the film through sound design, Digital Intermediate color-timing and a globe-trotting whirlwind of premieres • A Day with Bay: Tokyo — An intimate and fun all-access journey with Michael Bay as he travels to Tokyo, Japan tor the world premiere of the biggest film of the year • 25 Years of TRANSFORMERS — Access an all-new featurette celebrating a monumental milestone for one of Hasbro's most successful and popular franchises • NEST: Transformer Data-Hub — Explore conceptual artwork created by the production for 12 of the most popular AUTOBOTS and DECEPTICONS from the film • Deconstructing Visual Bayhem with Commentary by Pre-Vis Supervisor Steve Yamamoto — A series of multi-angle pre-visualization sequences allowing viewers to learn how some of the film's most spectacular scenes were created with an introduction by Michael Bay. • Extended Scenes • Music Video: "New Divide" by Linkin Park Blu-ray Exclusive: • The ALLSPARK Experiment — Viewers get their chance to unleash the power of the recently recovered ALLSPARK shard on Earth vehicles. Begin by selecting and customizing a vehicle with a selection of parts and accessories. Then apply the ALLSPARK to this creation and watch what happens. Applying the ALLSPARK to certain custom combinations enables four new robot characters with special powers. If viewers discover all four, they unlock a fifth vehicle, which reveals a top secret message about the future of the TRANSFORMERS movie franchise • NEST: Transformer Data-Hub — A database of some of the TRANSFORMERS characters that appear in the new film, offering users access to each robot's confidential file including: - Innovative 3-D spin galleries of each robot - A timeline for each TRANSFORMERS character charting its origins, back story and design evolution from toys to animated series to comics and finally feature films • Giant Effing Movie – A very personal look at the making of the movie • The Matrix of Marketing — An archive of the film's promotional media including trailers, posters and television spots.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
I'm not a big fan of PiP, to be honest. And on the rare occasions I do it, I prefer to seamlessly branch the video pods so that we can resize the feature film accordingly (as I did way back in 2002 for the MI6 Datastream on "Die Another Day.")

Plus, Bay wants as little competing with the feature for disc space as possible, resulting in a higher bitrate for the film itself. Can't say I disagree.

But I will say that I'm incredibly pleased with the way this one turned out.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Yes, that is hard to disagree with. The package does look great. Congrats.

buffyscrubs

Auditioning
Real Name
buffy
I have been a star trek dvd since it first premiered back in the sixties. I taped all the episodes when Sci Fi ran them uncut. Thanks to DVD, and now Blu-Ray, however, you can own a great quality version of your favorite shows. This blu-ray set is fantastic. I am a purist...I don't like the idea that they messed with the classic shows and redid all the special effects. However, I am watching star trek dvd that way out of curiosity. But the best part of this set is, the originals are still on here, in the same high quality blu-ray can offer. The interface is easy, the picture quality is supurb. I used to watch this in reruns in such bad quality prints, this is refreshing to see them like this. The audio is better than can be expected...truly a great effort in dealing with a classic. Highly recommended for the traditional star trek dvd. Even if you don't like the revamped effects, the old ones are still here. Here is looking forward to season two, which I already have on pre-order.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Charles -
I just read that someone from Germany was able to view the Revenge of the Fallen Blu-ray and stated the entire movie is in 2.35:1 AR. Wasn't there a comment from Bay a while back that they were going to use variable AR for IMAX worthy scenes ala The Dark Knight? Was there a decision along the way to not do variable ARs and how serious was Bay about doing this?

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
And now I see that according to someone over at blu-ray.com Wal-Mart will sell an exclusive "IMAX Big Screen Edtion" for only $20????? They even attached a copy of the ad but can Charles confirm that Wal-Mart is indeed selling something different from other retailers?

Jim_E

Stunt Coordinator
Just got the Transformers 2 disc today. I've realised I read far too much HTF as I only bought it as I'd heard here that Charlie was responsible for the documentary! Haven't watched it all yet but had to drop in to congratulate him on capturing the moment when Bay gives the instruction to add Devastator's wrecking balls

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks