Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Oscars' Best Pictures Nominees To Go From 5 To 10...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 of 43 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 06:14 AM

It's been a while since I've started any threads, but I saw this on the IMDB front page and knew immediately that it had to be posted:

BREAKING: Oscar’s Best Picture Nominees Will Expand to Ten – RopeofSilicon.com Movie News, Trailers, Reviews and More

So, what thoughts do you guys have on the subject? I'm torn. On the one hand, it would add some more excitement to the proceedings. On the other hand, it would multiply the disappointment by 9 (If my math is correct), because there's still going to be only one winner for Best Picture.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I wonder if this means that there will be 10 director slots as well.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#2 of 43 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,537 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 06:29 AM

Interesting. I guess I don't really have strong feelings about it one way or another, but it's certainly going to make the show longer, unless they cut something else.

I just wish they'd expand Visual Effects and Sound Editing at to five nominees instead of just three.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#3 of 43 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck
I just wish they'd expand Visual Effects and Sound Editing at to five nominees instead of just three.

I think that for those, and many other categories, the number of nominees is based on the number of submitted films, so they can go up if it is warranted.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#4 of 43 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 24 2009 - 06:38 AM

I think this damn near guarantees Up! will get a nod, there will be no excuse this year. And that's a good thing.

I think it also means a lot of less-then-deserving films will be in contention.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#5 of 43 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,885 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 06:55 AM

So a film with 11% of the total vote in its category could possibly win an Oscar (if the rest of the nominees get 10% or slightly less)?
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#6 of 43 OFFLINE   Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 07:04 AM

10 is a little overkill I think. Expanding it by maybe one or two slots would've been more than fine.

I think there are probably some ratings politics at work here, they want to be able to nominate some of the more popular films (like say last year's "The Dark Knight") to get people to tune in, but odds are they're not winning anyway, they're just making it look more inclusive.

#7 of 43 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,021 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 07:08 AM

the real question.. can you name 10 movies that should be on the list at this time? I can only think of two: star trek and up. I doubt that watchmen would have a chance.

Jacob

#8 of 43 OFFLINE   Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 24 2009 - 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-D
10 is a little overkill I think. Expanding it by maybe one or two slots would've been more than fine.

I think this is a great idea. That's the way it was done for the first 15 years of the Oscars, through 1943, the year "Casablanca" won Best Picture.

Though I do agree there may be some politics here. A Best Picture nomination means additional income for a film. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the studios leaned on the Academy to get this done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat
the real question.. can you name 10 movies that should be on the list at this time? I can only think of two: star trek and up. I doubt that watchmen would have a chance.

Jacob
Well, no, because most of the "Oscar" films are released at the end of the year. And I personally wouldn't put "Star Trek" on the list.

#9 of 43 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 24 2009 - 07:41 AM

Interesting. Limiting the Best Picture category to five nominees started with the 1944 films (1945 Oscars). Before then, it was 10 for a decade, and even up to 12 at one point (years are for nominated films, not ceremony):

1927-28 – 6 (2 awards - 3 nominees for Production, 3 nominees for Unique and Artistic Production)
1928-29 – 5
1929-30 – 5
1930-31 – 5
1931-32 – 8
1932-33 – 10
1934 – 12
1935 – 12
1936 – 10
1937 – 10
1938 – 10
1939 – 10
1940 – 10
1941 – 10
1942 - 10
1943 - 10

Sure it's a marketing ploy (the Oscars themselves are a marketing ploy), but it will get other deserving films, such as small films (In Bruges), animated films (WALL*E), and deserving Blockbuster genre films (The Dark Knight) nominations.

Of course, 2009 might be the worst year to do it. So far, things are looking pretty week, other than Up. Could this open the door for something like Star Trek?

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 43 OFFLINE   Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 07:45 AM

Star Trek honestly does not deserve a nod even with 10 spots.

Yes the characters are likable and yes it's fresh (then again 5 day old tuna casserole is probably fresh compared to the relative stale Trek of recent years) ... but honestly that plot/story isn't much better than Star Trek Nemesis. Lame time travel plot device, lame villain, convenient coincidences, sometimes incoherent plotting. Even a lot of the positive reviews acknowledge the story isn't the greatest (small detail I guess).

You're really lowering the bar if the criteria becomes "well ... it was a decent summer flick so lets nominate it".

If Avatar is actually a strong film, I think it could benefit from this new "expanded field". I still think even with an expanded field, you should still have to have a strong story (not just "well it was decent for its genre or relative to expectations") to get an Oscar nomination.

If there aren't 10 Hollywood pictures worthy of a nomination then for gawd's sake, give some foreign films a shot.

#11 of 43 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 24 2009 - 07:56 AM

Quote:
Star Trek honestly does not deserve a nod even with 10 spots.
Deserves got nothing to do with it; it's a popularity contest made to help sell the industry.

Quote:
If they're going to go to 10, does it mean foreign films can now be nominated for best picture?
They have always been eligible if they met the category criteria (theatrically distributed in Los Angeles within the year). Such films as Z, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Il Postino have been best picture nominees.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#12 of 43 OFFLINE   Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Deserves got nothing to do with it; it's a popularity contest made to help sell the industry.

They have always been eligible if they met the category criteria (theatrically distributed in Los Angeles within the year). Such films as Z, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Il Postino have been best picture nominees.

Well hopefully it doesn't dissolve into just anything that's a hit getting nominated.

Oscar nominations should still be reserved for films that have strong story, strong character, and some semblance of a theme. I would say even with a 10 movie field, still only the landmark "summer blockbusters" should even be considered (ie: The Matrix or Terminator 2 ... perhaps ... Star Trek or Iron Man? No).

Yes, foreign films have been nominated in the past. Maybe this means we'll see more of that. Also perhaps comedy can get more nominations now too.

#13 of 43 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 08:24 AM

I'm all for it. Granted, I personally find the nominations more worthwhile than the winner - a list of the year's best films is useful and interesting; singling one out often feels arbitrary. I also think that having ten nominees for Best Picture but not the other awards will have positive side effects - a broader range of movies will be nominated (including more animated, foreign, and independent films - and, who knows, maybe even comedies!), for starts. I also think that will make it harder for a single movie to dominate the nominations and awards.

The Oscars are, after all, a promotional tool. It helps the industry and movies as a medium if they can be used to highlight a lot of good films, rather than just a few.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#14 of 43 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,310 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 24 2009 - 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattCR
I think this damn near guarantees Up! will get a nod, there will be no excuse this year. And that's a good thing.
I hope I'm wrong but I bet Up still doesn't get a nomination.

#15 of 43 OFFLINE   Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I hope I'm wrong but I bet Up still doesn't get a nomination.

Oh, boy, the backlash to that would be rich.

Never say never with the Academy undermining certain genres/styles of filmmaking, but I think that would be too much even for them.

#16 of 43 OFFLINE   Jace_A

Jace_A

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 09:44 AM

Expect a Best Kiss Award in 2012. This is all about getting 15 year olds to watch the ceremony. I wouldn't rule out a nomination for "Year One".

#17 of 43 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,310 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 24 2009 - 10:13 AM

Quote:
Oh, boy, the backlash to that would be rich.

Never say never with the Academy undermining certain genres/styles of filmmaking, but I think that would be too much even for them.
I hope so. I'm sure the Best Animated category was created with the best of intentions but I think it's just allowed the Academy to not pay any serious attention to animated movies.

#18 of 43 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 11:00 AM

It's a little long, but here's a link to Sid Ganis' press conference vis a visa this new development:

YouTube - 82nd Academy Awards® to Feature 10 Best Picture Nominees

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

If Billy Crystal hosts next year, "It's A Wonderful Night For Oscar" will probably take 10 minutes to complete.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#19 of 43 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 11:28 AM

This idea is just ridiculous IMHO. I can see expanding it to six or seven nominees, but ten is over the top and completely unnecessary as far as I'm concerned.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#20 of 43 ONLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,346 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 12:31 PM

Seem excessive to me as well.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow