Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Which version of WATCHMEN to import?


  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 cafink

cafink

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 19 1999

Posted June 24 2009 - 03:12 AM

I greatly enjoyed Watchmen and was disappointed to learn that the upcoming Blu-ray release would include only the "director's cut" of the film, with over twenty minutes of additional material. I'm sure the director's cut will be good, but I'm the kind of person who likes to have all the different versions of a movie, and I was looking forward to owning the same version of WATCHMEN that I saw in the theater.

I notice, however, that the theatrical version is being released on Blu-ray in some foreign countries, and I'm probably going to import one of those releases. However, I'm not sure which to get.

I had originally considered the UK release. But I have two concerns. First: are Paramount's UK Blu-ray releases typically region-locked? I know there are region-free Blu-ray players readily available, but I don't have one and it would simply be easier if the disc was compatible with region-A players. Second: Does the disc have any PAL extras? I know that the movie itself is in HD and should play on any HDTV, but don't UK releases sometimes include standard-definition extras in PAL? This wouldn't be a deal-breaker since I'd still have the extras from the US version, but I'd just like to know.

The other release I am considering is the Japanese one. Japan is in the same Blu-ray region as the US, and it uses NTSC, so the above issues wouldn't be a concern. However, it costs about $20 more and I'm afraid it won't be as English-friendly.

Does anyone know anything about the import-friendliness of these or other internation WATCHMEN releases? I'm especially curious to know about the region encoding on the UK release.

Thanks.
 

 


#2 of 14 Lance Rumbolt

Lance Rumbolt

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 18 2000

Posted June 24 2009 - 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafink
I greatly enjoyed Watchmen and was disappointed to learn that the upcoming Blu-ray release would include only the "director's cut" of the film, with over twenty minutes of additional material. I'm sure the director's cut will be good, but I'm the kind of person who likes to have all the different versions of a movie, and I was looking forward to owning the same version of WATCHMEN that I saw in the theater.

I notice, however, that the theatrical version is being released on Blu-ray in some foreign countries, and I'm probably going to import one of those releases. However, I'm not sure which to get.

I had originally considered the UK release. But I have two concerns. First: are Paramount's UK Blu-ray releases typically region-locked? I know there are region-free Blu-ray players readily available, but I don't have one and it would simply be easier if the disc was compatible with region-A players. Second: Does the disc have any PAL extras? I know that the movie itself is in HD and should play on any HDTV, but don't UK releases sometimes include standard-definition extras in PAL? This wouldn't be a deal-breaker since I'd still have the extras from the US version, but I'd just like to know.

The other release I am considering is the Japanese one. Japan is in the same Blu-ray region as the US, and it uses NTSC, so the above issues wouldn't be a concern. However, it costs about $20 more and I'm afraid it won't be as English-friendly.

Does anyone know anything about the import-friendliness of these or other internation WATCHMEN releases? I'm especially curious to know about the region encoding on the UK release.

Thanks.

Paramount UK releases are region free. I'm not sure about the extras though.

#3 of 14 Eric F

Eric F

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 05 1999

Posted June 24 2009 - 01:27 PM

You might consider waiting for the "Ultimate Edition" being released around the holiday season.

#4 of 14 TonyD

TonyD

    Who do we think I am?

  • 15,848 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 01 1999
  • Real Name:Tony D.
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 24 2009 - 02:18 PM

If it actually has a release.

facebook.com/whotony


#5 of 14 Eric F

Eric F

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 05 1999

Posted June 24 2009 - 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
If it actually has a release.
The director is fairly confident it will and already has the extra footage in the can for it. If it doesn't I can always pick up this version at a later date. I get a sense the Ultimate Cut will release at some later date, we just don't know when.

#6 of 14 Eric F

Eric F

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 05 1999

Posted July 10 2009 - 08:27 AM

Posted Image
http://www.thebluray...tails-revealed/

There you go, proof positive of its release, so there's probably no reason at all to import anything.



#7 of 14 PaulDA

PaulDA

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 09 2004
  • Real Name:Paul
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted July 12 2009 - 06:50 AM

I don't think this has the original theatrical release cut either, though.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#8 of 14 TravisR

TravisR

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 20,760 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 15 2004
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 12 2009 - 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDA View Post

I don't think this has the original theatrical release cut either, though.
 
I think you're correct but it may be on there. Out of the five discs, three of them will be 1. the director's cut with the Black Freighter footage, 2. Under The Hood and 3. The Motion Comics. If the link above is correct and they don't recycle the extras from the earlier release then that leaves two discs of new content. Of course, at least one of those will be a behind the scenes/documentary disc. So the last disc may contain the theatrical cut but I admit, it seems unlikely.

#9 of 14 PaulDA

PaulDA

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 09 2004
  • Real Name:Paul
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted July 13 2009 - 01:27 AM

I would think if it were available, it would be announced, as it was with the 5 disc Blade Runner set.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#10 of 14 Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 15 1999

Posted November 13 2009 - 02:40 AM

I greatly enjoyed the Director's Cut and I'm considering to own it. Is this new version good? I'm afraid to blind buy it and it turn out an inferior movie. Just because it has more footage it doesn't mean it's better. Does this set include the Director's Cut also?

Edit: Talking about the Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut.

#11 of 14 cafink

cafink

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 19 1999

Posted November 13 2009 - 03:16 AM

The new "Ultimate Cut" Blu-ray release includes only that cut of the film, which incorporates the Black Freighter material.  The previously-released "Director's Cut" is not included, and neither is the original theatrical version (except as a "digital copy").

In case anyone is interested, I did finally purchase the UK Blu-ray release of the theatrical version.

 

 


#12 of 14 Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 15 1999

Posted November 13 2009 - 06:02 AM

So, is it good? Compared to the previous 2 cuts?


#13 of 14 cafink

cafink

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 19 1999

Posted November 13 2009 - 06:55 AM

I don't know; I haven't actually watched it.  I just know what's included on account of research I did trying to find a domestic release of the theatrical version before finally importing it from overseas.

 

 


#14 of 14 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 5,792 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 18 2001
  • Real Name:ManW

Posted November 13 2009 - 07:08 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Davatchi View Post

So, is it good? Compared to the previous 2 cuts?
 
I may rent it to see for myself next month (when my Blockbuster Online service reactivates) -- I'd suggest the same to you, if you really liked either previous cuts.

However, here's some favorable comments from one fan of the Watchman graphic novel:

http://www.hometheat...30#post_3627651

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Forum Nav Content I Follow