What's new

Drive Cloning (1 Viewer)

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
I have an iMAC that I just finished reloading. I have all my apps installed and it is just the way I like it. I also have a MacBook Pro that I would like to reload for various reasons. Is there a way that I could clone my iMAC drive and load that onto my MacBook Pro? I really don't want to go through the trouble of loading all my apps again onto the MacBook Pro.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
I just used super duper to make a image of my minis boot up drive as a 'clean' starting point in case i mess something up. You should be able just use that to make a disk image of your imac, save that to a external, then boot up off your dvd on the lap top and go into disk utility and do a restore from disk image.

I've never tried this so im not sure how easily it will work. I do have a old g4 that im having issues with since i went to 10.5 and i think i still have a image of 10.4 so im gonna try this myself maybe tonight. (the main issue is i lose my dvd drive half the time and there is a dvd stuck in there right now).

oh i assume your imac is a intel one also, intel to intel should work. never try ppc to intel cause that will just make a bad install.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is a very interesting question as it mostly falls within the
lines of what I need to do.

I am about to purchase a new MBP.

I want to transfer everything off of my older MBP onto the new
one so that all the programs work right off the bat without having
any reinstalls.

The problem is, I think if I simply use SUPERDUPER or a CLONING
software to copy from one to the other, I may be overwriting critical
system files that identify the one MBP from the other?

Should I be concerned about this?

Shane D

Supporting Actor
it is possible that the new books have some things installed that the older one doesnt for specific hardware. Have you ever tried the migration assistant? im not sure what all you can tell it to copy.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
super duper is basically carbon cloner for leopard i believe. i think the carbon guy quit updating just before leopard came out

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
First of all, thank you for the responses.

I think SUPERDUPER is a cloner software as it copies your entire
drive structure to an external and then back onto your Mac exactly
as it was.

The problem, as I see, it, is that there are certain drivers and such
on a new 17" MBP that differentiate itself from say an older 15" MBP.

The 17" has finger gestures on the trackpad. Also probably drivers
that are inherent of the system itself.

If I were to simply CLONE my 15" drive to the 17" I have a feeling
that I would do more harm than good.

Regarding Migration Assistant....

This idea was actually brought up many times before to me. Not
sure how this works, but does anyone know if I can successfully
migrate EVERY program over to the new computer as well as my
email messages, etc.? How effective a transfer tool is it?

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i just launched the migration assistant program here at work and in its list of info it copies says:

user accounts
applications
network and computer settings
files
volumes

i can't go past the first screen here cause im locked out, but i think that may be all you need to do once you get the new one and im sure it will work over a network

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Shane,

Thank you for this.

Question: Is Migration Assistant one of the first thing that pops up
when you turn on a computer for the first time or do I need to go
digging into Utilities to find it?

I suppose the best thing to do is to backup the older 15" to an
external drive and point the 17" Migration Assistant to it?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Shane D

Supporting Actor
when i started up my new mini friday night the assistant popped right up and asked me if i wanted to do that. I chose no cause i wanted a clean start away from my 8 year old g4. At that point if your old lap top is on the network at the same time (i'd hardwire both to just be safe) you should be able to direct the assistant to it.

If it doesnt start up, you can also dig into applications, utilities and then launch the assitant from there.

It can't hurt to just try it and run it. if it messes up the worst thing you have to do is put in your restore disk to the new machine and reinstall everything. I ended up doing that 3 times saturday on my mini

Shane D

Supporting Actor
friend of mine who does this for a living emailed me this:

'You can clone the old and apply to the new as long as the image from
the old one has at least the same OS level as what the new machine
shipped with.'

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Shane,

This is EXCELLENT information!

Okay, so all I need to do first thing after unboxing is apply a software
update and then use SUPERDUPER to copy the entire contents of my
15" over to the new 17".

Glad to hear there will be no ill effects with this process.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
A few things:

As far as I know Carbon Copy Cloner is still being updated and fully works for Leopard. I just did a clone/backup two weeks ago when 10.5.7 came out. Bombich hasn't quit. He recently updated his programs earlier this year, well into the Leopard era, and his site is still active.

I prefer CCC to SuperDuper for one (admittedly potentially silly) reason. When I do clones with both CCC and SD, I find the CCC one to be much closer to the original drive size that SD. I know there are files that don't need to be copied, and perhaps SD is smarter than CCC in identifying more of the files that don't need to be copied, but I start feeling uncomfortable when I create bootable clones from 180GB of data, and CCC's clone is 179.7 GB and SD's clone is 177GB. I can understand 300MB or so being eliminated as unnecessary for CCC's clone, but to lose 3GBs with the SD clone? Yikes! Of course SD has many happy fans, so take my hesitancy with a grain of salt.

Like Ron, I am contemplating a new MBP purchase. I think I'm going to wait one more rev. for the Nehalem chipset to make it into the MBPs. I was also wondering if I could CCC my existing MBP drive over to the new MBP, but the "genius" I asked said to use migration assistant which should work.

Bottom line is I think I'll use a new MBP as a way to test the following:

I'll try to use Migration Assistant to see if it ports over all the programs and files correctly (I have many non-Apple apps like Pro Tools, Office 2008, Adobe CS3 Design Premium, etc.).

If it doesn't install all programs correctly I'll wipe the HD and try CCC.

Even though this is months away (Apple averages 7 months between MBP refreshes) I will post here what I find.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Carlo,

I have sat and thought about waiting for the next revision as well.
However, now seems a good time to buy.

First of all, I know very little about the Nahelem chipset (Annandale?).
Is this really going to be a revolution forward for PCs?

Secondly, with that revision you can bet that the MBP prices are
going to jump. I think the reason why MBP prices have come down
now is because the current chip technology has been around. On
the other hand, new chipsets mean higher prices.

I figure now is the best time to get an excellent MBP at the right
price. I don't think there will be any Blu-ray capability added in
the near future.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ron, the Nehalem chipset is considered the "tock" in Intel's tick-tock strategy. The tick means it's an evolutionary step, the tock being revolutionary. The Nehalem CPUs and chipset are said to be significantly faster and consume less power. Now whether that translates into real-world performance, it really depends on what people do. For me, using CS3 and Pro Tools (and eventually Logic Pro), it probably will.

I do agree with just about everything you've written, including the unfortunate reality of a price increase and probable lack of BD.

My personal viewpoint is this: I have a limited amount of income to spend on these things, especially with CA going in the tank and me working for the state. So if I'm going to buy a $2K machine, I want it to run significantly faster/better than my existing 2.33GHz C2D MBP (which I've souped up with 4GB of RAM and a 320GB 7200RPM HD). By all accounts the current MBPs are faster, but not to the point where I would feel my $2K justified.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I will speculate that this is an indication of SD! doing a slightly better job. When SuperDuper! clones a drive, it implicitly defrags it. All files split across multiple blocks (sectors? whatever the hard drive chunk is) are recombined into single "chunks". This, I think, could reduce the total space used.

What I know is that SuperDuper! helped me out by doing that: by cloning, erasing, and restoring my internal drive with SD!, I was able to increase my BootCamp partition size. Unmoveable files were now defragged, no longer scattered up to the partition "edge" and blocking a partition increase.

Not that you should switch; but that size reduction might be a side of effect of dragging, not from discarding data (why would a "clone" tool not copy all files?)

Don & Ron,
Let us know how a clone from one hardware kit to another goes! I wouldn't think that would be a good idea, but I don't know enough about it to be listened to
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

Frankly I am a bit too scared to use SD (or even CC) to just copy
files over from one piece of hardware to another.

My time is very limited. I only have one day to get everything
loaded. If I "F" it up the first time by just cloning the one drive to
another it is going to cause me an additional day of just having to
install everything manually.

So, I am just thinking, why not just install it manually.

If someone, somewhere would guarantee that the cloning using
SUPERDUPER would work without doubt, that would be the method
that I would use. However, there is just understandably too much
speculation as to whether it might or will work.

Appreciate all the advice you guys have provided thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks