Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tower Speaker on a $1000-$1200 budget

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   systemdesignz

systemdesignz

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted June 23 2009 - 06:38 PM

I'm looking for a set of tower speakers with built in 8" or 10" powered subwoofers and with solid midrange/midbass. I have a $1000-$1200 budget and I will be powering them with this receiver a Denon AVR 790. http://m.nextag.com/..../m/prices-html

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 2,078 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted June 24 2009 - 01:26 AM

Josh,

Just curious... Why must they have powered sub in the tower?

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   systemdesignz

systemdesignz

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted June 25 2009 - 03:52 AM

Actually they wouldn't necesarily have to have a powered sub in each tower. If I could do a set of towers and external powered sub for around $1500 I'd be happy. I have been looking at the Polk LSi15 and LSi25 on ebay. Also I have been speaking with someone from another forum about building me a set with seas magnesium midranges, Dayton subwoofers and Dayton amplifiers.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 2,078 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted June 25 2009 - 06:18 AM

It is easier to place a subwoofer for good bass. Towers with powered subs are not flexible - the best place for good imaging is not always the best place for good bass. A separate sub is usually a good idea.

Have a look at SVS subwoofers. Perhaps the PC12-NSD or above plus some really nice bookshelves would work for you. You could add the Polks you like or get something like these: Bookshelf Speakers - M22 v2 - Axiom Audio.

Or, better yet... Go listen to speakers at a local shop and see what you like. For $1500 you can get towers that go low enough for music (40-50 hz) without the powered woofers. The Axiom M60's & M80's and the SVS MTS-01's are good examples.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Livestrong

Livestrong

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted June 25 2009 - 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemdesignz
I'm looking for a set of tower speakers with built in 8" or 10" powered subwoofers and with solid midrange/midbass. I have a $1000-$1200 budget and I will be powering them with this receiver a Denon AVR 790. Denon AVR790 7.1-CHANNEL MULTI-ZONE Home Theater Receiver With 1080P Hdmi Connectivity: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag
I have an SVS sub (PB12 Plus) as well as SCS-01's for my fronts, center, and surrounds; this setup sounds great. If you have any questions regarding their products, I would email them or call and ask for Mason.