What's new

BATMAN: 20 Years ago today (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

"The Movie Of The Decade"

While there's probably nothing significant left to say about this film and the franchise that followed, I thought it was worth mentioning that today is the film's 20th anniversary of the original theatrical release.

Anyone considering watching it tonight? I've saved watching the anniversary Blu-ray until today's date.

Happy 20th, Batman
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Since Nolan came aboard, I have a hard time watching this film...even though I still respect it.

Funny enough, I don't have a problem with Returns or Forever...especially Returns.

Still, I remember the lead up to the film like it was yesterday. Still a pretty big event in the history of genre filmmaking.

Happy 20th...even if you've been replaced by two superior (I believe) films.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Happy 20th!

Here's how I rank them:

1. Batman
2. Batman Returns
3. The Dark Knight
4. Batman Begins
5. Batman (60's movie)
6. Batman Forever
7. Batman and Robin

Even though I have some believability issues with TDK, after more viewings, I'm starting to warm up to it a bit (I still think it's somewhat overrated).

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Agreed. Always will be too.

While Nolans Batman films are good, they're just a bit too boring and long, he tries to hard for an epic style film, but falls far short.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Wow, I can't believe it was twenty years ago today! I was a wee lad who waited with his older brother in line for over two hours on opening night in Winnipeg. We had moved to Winnipeg from Edmonton that February and I absolutely hated living in the such a dreary city. I loved the Burton film and saw it three times that summer (along with buying up ample Batman comics), making our brief stay in Winnipeg more bearable.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I had problems with the nolan batman films. I was able to beleive in tim burton's world about batman more so then nolan.. nolan films were too real.
regardless if you like the nolan films better or not.. batman 89 still has the better music score.
Jacob

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Jacob, couldn't agree with you more, the Burton films had more of a comic book feel to them. When I sit down and read my Batman comics er, I mean graphic novels, I like to play the Elfman scores and I can totally get into the stories. I've tried this with the BB and TDK scores and they just don't do it for me.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
This is not a film that has aged well. Nicholson's prominence over Keaton bothered me upon the film's release and has become even more annoying over time.

Much prefer Nolan's vision.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

I still listen to Danny Elfmans two Batman soundtracks, favourite and most played track would probably be "Descent into Mystery". This was back in the days when movies actually had memorable music scores and they weren't just droning away and thumping around in the background, like they do now.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i remember hearing batdance on the radio non stop that summer too. It was THE movie to see for a 13 year old

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I started this thread both here and DVD Talk, and this is how they've played out so far:

HTF - endless quality/enjoyment comparisons between Nolan's and Burton's films.

DVDTalk - nostalgic, fond memories of the era.

That's an interesting turnout.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It's almost impossible to tell someone about the hoopla surrounding this movie when it came out. You had to be there. I saw it the Thursday before it opened with a very receptive crowd.

I liked it -at the time, I liked it even more. I grew tired of Burton's sense of humor (especially in later films, like Returns), and I think it diluted the Batman character a bit. But it is still a very solid film, with great performances, including Nicholson (although his Joker is over the top much of the time). Of the 1989-1997 films, the first is the best by far. Returns got a little silly (despite being darker) and accelerated the "place the celebrity in the villain" game. (A review of Returns noted, correctly, that using celebrities in these roles is a detriment to the films, because it takes you out of the movie - you're not watching the film and thinking "that's the Penguin," you're thinking "Hey, that's Danny DeVito! He looks cool!")

Comparisons to Begins and Dark Knight aren't terribly fair. Most people will prefer one style over the other. I like Nolan's vision better than Burton's (and while we are on the subject, I despise Schumacher's vision and his films). I do dislike the heavy gadgetry, even in the Nolan films, and I especially dislike the complex costume Batman wears. The costume should be simple, like the '89 version, or the 60s TV show.

All that said, I still get a kick out of the 1966 Batman with Adam West. Sorry, but no Batman was ever cooler. (And if you haven't seen the film on Blu-Ray, wow. A great transfer.)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Loved the hype for the film, but was extremely disappointed in the final product. I couldn't admit it to myself at the time because my love of the character and the months of hype created a lot of investment in it- but I knew by the final act during that first midnight showing, that something was missing. I was confused as it had all the elements for the proper mix on paper, and tearing the film apart bit by bit (the music, the look, Nicholsons presence, the production design) every aspect was stellar. So then how could I feel the final product be so...lethargic and inert?

I still do like the look of the film (not so much the derivative production design as the lighting and composition of shots), and the music is still sensational, and I'm surprised how much better the Bat costume looks than anything Nolan has come up with so far. But as far as a movie with characters I enjoy being with and a story that keeps me invested...

Another reason I came to dislike the film is that it unfortunately became so influential that every comic property was inflicted with the same stylistic flourishes for years after- the most blatant probably being the Flash TV show. That could have been a great property, but they had to impose a style that was so dead wrong for the material that it suffocated under it. It really took 13 years to get past Burtons stylistic influence- when Raimi wisely used a predominantly 'sunny' palate for Spider-man.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Still the greatest movie marketing campaign ever I maintain.

You couldn't walk down the street without seeing the Bat-logo because of all the t-shirts.

I watched the movie a few days ago again, actually, if you let go of the "Burton vs. Nolan" thing, it's still quite enjoyable taken on its own merits. The Tim Burton commentary on the DVD/Blu-Ray is worth a listen too.

I actually really like the third act, Batman in a cathedral versus the Joker is so ... Burton.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Excellent post Sam.

I still like the movie. Keaton is great in both outings. But I think 2 things date it. 1) The action is sluggish compared to today's films - the Bat-suit & the Batmobile both look like they must weigh 10 tons each.

But mostly, it's 2) Burton's style & sense of humor that has dated it. Burton's looks & styles are seen in several other of his movies. He's repeated it so many times, it diluted the uniqueness of Batman.

I found Woody Allen's films started to do this. Even the credits, music, etc to Allen's films haven't changed and while you can call it "the director's style" it starts to make their films look like each other.

Having said all that, I still like the film and may have to watch it tonight for kicks.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
The only thing comparable to 1989 Batman in terms of marketing/pre-hype was Star Wars Episode I ten years later and even that I don't think is quite comparable.

Star Wars had a very vocal die-hard core fanbase, whereas '89 Batman really seeped into the actual popular culture and even popular fashion of the time.

Pete-D

Screenwriter

I'm pretty sure that is on the DVD, it's in one of the making-of docs rather than a stand-alone viewable option. Still interesting.

YouTube - diet coke commercial from batman 1989

Here's a Batman Coca-Cola commercial from 89, but I think this was for the VHS release in the fall.

I remember being a kid and all the action figures for the movie were sold out everywhere (there were only three or four as I recall ... Batman, the Joker, Bob, and I think they repackaged an old Robin but I don't think that counts).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks