Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CLD-99 won't play after shipping

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Roger.video

Roger.video

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 08:45 AM

Hello and thanks in advance for any help. I just shipped a well-packed mint condition low-hours Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD player that was working perfectly but upon receipt it is failing to play LDs or CDs. Symptoms are: Powers up, accepts discs, TV shows search index but this fails and error codes P5, P6, and L1 variously appear. Trying to switch sides A->B produces P6, B->A produces P5, but it sounds like the side-change mechanism is working. In my research I found codes for a CLD-D925 and I'm assuming Pioneer maintained similar codes across models. Using those codes, L1 is Loading error - open, P5 is Spindle Error - setup (rotation start), and P6 is spindle error - TOC read. Anyone have any thoughts on common problems that arise in a CLD-99 when shipping? And what an adventurous owner can do themselves, versus having a tech look at it? Thanks again.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,937 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted June 22 2009 - 11:10 AM

You might want to sent an E-Mail to Kurtis Bahr (his E-Mail should be listed if you do a search). There can be problems with pickup parking if the unit was not properly powered off prior to shipping. They also can be delicate if not shipped properly as they are required to spin heavy discs at high speed. I had one damaged in shipping (that Kurtis fixed - he only lives about 40 minutes from me) and probably unless I was really confident about a seller, I would not buy one that involved shipping w/o original boxing. I don't use either of my units much these days (I have a CLD-79 in the main system and a 704 in the basement and perhaps every couple of years will play a couple of discs) but based on Kurtis' recommendation I did buy some extra parts (e.g. spindle motor) and the units I have are substantially similar to one another so I should be able to keep them running for a bit.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,937 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted June 22 2009 - 11:13 AM

His E-Mail should be in this thread:

http://www.hometheat....c-players.html

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Roger.video

Roger.video

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 01:31 PM

Thanks very much Phil. I've written Kurtis.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   LDfan

LDfan

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted July 02 2009 - 02:48 AM

Kurtis is "the man" as far as laserdisc player knowledge goes. I feel quite lucky to have him in the area (as does Phil).

He built me a Pioneer 704 player a few years ago from several different broken players, tested it out and the darn thing still runs like a champ today.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted July 02 2009 - 05:47 AM

If memory serves, weren't some LD players (if not all) sold new with some sort of security bolt that had to be removed (to keep internals secure)?  I would think if you were to shipt it, you would need to put it back.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,356 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted July 02 2009 - 06:14 AM

hmm....
i dont remember if this model has the transport screw or not.
Kurt will fix it up though....and ask him about the transport screw.
These players are very tempermental...and do not ship well.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,157 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 04 2009 - 06:15 AM

I'm 99% sure the CLD99 didn't have the transport screw.  I think Pioneer models quit using the screw in the early 90's and instead opted for a built in lockdown mode when the unit was turned off properly.   I do agree with Gregg that LD players are a royal PITA to ship.    OF the 4 I've bought online over the years (OTHER than the one i bought directly from Kurtis and the units I've shipped back and forth to him to repair) I think 3 arrived nonfunctioning