Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Panasonic BD-60 and Onkyo TX-SR876

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   dancingwater

dancingwater

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 07:51 AM

Hi All,

I would like to know if the selecting bitstream on the BD-60 setup menu to let the Onkyo do the codecs be the best audio showing on the BR? I assume the 876 should be able to process ALL codecs just fine?

Thanks.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,073 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted June 22 2009 - 09:32 AM

The only problem you may run into (and I say "may" because you may not even regard it as a problem) is that different studios have different ways of dealing with PiP commentaries. Bitstream bitstreams only the primary audio track, so menu sounds will not come through the bitstream (secondary audio). Some studios use this secondary track for their PiP commentaries (Sony for example), so if you want to want to take advantage of those features, you have to switch from bitstream to letting the player do the decoding. Again, in the eye of the beholder. Other than that, you'll be just fine.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert