Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lord of the Rings Trilogy Blu Ray set for release November 3rd

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
83 replies to this topic

#1 of 84 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 05:14 AM

Blu-ray.com - Lord of the Rings BD Trilogy for November

Quote:
New Line Home Home Entertainment, in conjunction with Warner Home Video, has finally revealed the release date and first details for the Blu-ray edition of 'The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy'. This title will come out on November 3. It will contain the original theatrical versions, and also digital copies for all three films.

Other bonus features are still pending confirmation so stay tuned.

At last we now have a release date

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#2 of 84 Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 08:09 AM

So I guess we still have to wait for the EE's.

#3 of 84 Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 08:13 AM

Cool, I love the Lord of the Trilogy Trilogy. Posted Image

#4 of 84 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,521 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk
So I guess we still have to wait for the EE's.

The general thinking is that they'll hit with the theatrical/DVD/Blu-ray release of The Hobbit.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#5 of 84 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 22 2009 - 08:38 AM

It is only June and we already have the thread title of the year. Posted Image

Joe

#6 of 84 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 09:41 AM

Yeah I thought so as well

#7 of 84 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 11:30 AM

Would be nice if they also provide some more definitive statement about when the EE version (or better yet, an improved EE version) would come out too by the time this set arrives.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#8 of 84 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,521 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 12:19 PM

That's a good point considering they did give notice when the theatrical DVDs were released. But given that New Line Home Home Entertainment is now under new stewardship I'm not going to hold out too much hope.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#9 of 84 nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted June 22 2009 - 12:54 PM

A week and a half before my birthday. This will make a nice birthday present, my preciousssss.

#10 of 84 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,006 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 02:10 PM

I heard rumors that peter jackson will be at comic con.. so maybe a lucky fan will be able to ask him.

Jacob

#11 of 84 Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted June 22 2009 - 03:29 PM

Judging from the description at WBshop.com, it sounds like this will be a 7 disc set. 1 for each movie. Digital copies of each movie. And then a bonus disc featuring the relevant material from the three original 2-disc theatrical releases. No word on the technical specs yet.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#12 of 84 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,554 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arild
Cool, I love the Lord of the Trilogy Trilogy. Posted Image
Posted Image Yet, I took the liberty of changing it.
Helps with later searches....

Cees

#13 of 84 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,653 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted June 22 2009 - 11:31 PM

It'll take a lot for me to part with more $$$ for this material. I already bought it twice. I'll need BD EE. Then that'll be IT.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#14 of 84 Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,702 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted June 23 2009 - 12:53 AM

No way I'm springing for the theatrical versions. My SD copies will do fine until the EEs come out.

#15 of 84 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,823 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 23 2009 - 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton McClure
No way I'm springing for the theatrical versions. My SD copies will do fine until the EEs come out.

It'll require some self-restraint and discipline. But that'll be my plan of attack, too.

I understand about "future searches" and all...but I LIKED the original title, too! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#16 of 84 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 23 2009 - 01:40 AM

http://www.thedigita...com/#mytwocents

Quote:
First up, a cool bit of Blu-ray release news: Warner Home Video has apparently leaked the street date for The Lord of the Rings Trilogy on their Warner Shop site.

If these dates hold true, look for the Rings box on 11/3 (SRP $99.98) featuring the theatrical editions of all three films. Extras will reportedly include some of the LOTR.net featurettes, as well as trailers and TV spots.

Each film will also offer 2-3 documentaries, including Welcome to Middle Earth, Quest for the Ring and A Passage to Middle Earth on Fellowship, Starz' In the Set and Return to Middle Earth on Two Towers and The Quest Fulfilled: A Director's Vision, A Filmmaker's Journey and the National Geographic special on King.

You can pre-order the set from Amazon (for just $69.98)

#17 of 84 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,353 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 23 2009 - 02:56 AM

At a $70 street price, it will be easier for me to pass on this release and wait for the Extended Editions. The price needs to drop quite a lot to consider a purchase. I will plan on renting these instead.

#18 of 84 Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted June 23 2009 - 03:45 AM

i wish this digital copy thing would die. i dont want upcharges on sets for something like that.

#19 of 84 PattyFraser

PattyFraser

Second Unit

• 314 posts

Posted June 23 2009 - 03:52 AM

I am in a quandary here. I had every intention of passing on the purchase of this set but renting it and waiting for the EE, as many are doing. But I really want the special features this set is advertising if they are also in high def. i particularly liked the "Quest for the Ring", and, huge fan though I may be I believe I actually have not seen a couple of these. I might want to have them, too.
I guess my big question would be, what is the possibility of the "mega set" that Jackson has talked about for the EE in blu to actually include EVERYTHING concerning these movies, including these features again? I know they didn't do that with the SD--you had to buy both to get all the special features. But it wasn't called the "mega-set". I've no need for digital copies, and I would hate to buy the theatrical ( as someone on Amazon said "abridged") versions of this movie just for the features. That's just too much cash on limited incomes. Wonder if the Costa Bates documentaries will be on the mega set too. (rhetorical question--unless someone's actually read something....?)

No. I can't do it. Money is tight, but MUST have the complete scenes of hobbits in Hobbiton and the gift-giving scene and some glimpses of the Houses of Healing. The tale is just incomplete without that.

#20 of 84 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,488 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 23 2009 - 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane D
i wish this digital copy thing would die. i dont want upcharges on sets for something like that.
Obviously I don't know for sure but at $100 MSRP for these three movies, it doesn't seem like they're charging more for the digital copies. If they were available separately and had no digital copy, I can't imagine that they'd only be charging $30 MSRP for each one when it's probably the crown jewel of the New Line catalog and a guaranteed seller.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow