What's new

PHE Press Release: Braveheart * Gladiator * Forrest Gump (Sapphire Series Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
images_parasapphire.jpg

PARAMOUNT HOME ENTERTAINMENT INTRODUCES THE PRESTIGIOUS NEW “SAPPHIRE SERIES” PRESENTING ACADEMY AWARD® WINNERS IN SPECTACULAR HIGH DEFINITION FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER
BRAVEHEART
GLADIATOR
FORREST GUMP
Highly-Anticipated Blu-ray Debuts of Gladiator and Braveheart Kick Off Series on September 1, Followed by Forrest Gump on November 3

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) announced today that it will release some of the greatest films ever made for the first time in high definition as part of its exclusive new “Sapphire Series”. The Sapphire Series will capitalize on the pristine picture and sound of the Blu-ray format to present each cinematic gem in the highest quality for the first time in two-disc, high definition sets*. The series will kick off on September 1 with two of the most requested Blu-ray releases, Braveheart and Gladiator—both winners of five Academy Awards® including Best Picture—followed later in the year by six-time Academy Award® winner Forrest Gump. Each release will include extensive, never-before-seen special features for the ultimate presentation.

“It’s absolutely fitting that we’re presenting the best films in the Paramount library on the finest home entertainment format available,” said Rob Moore, Vice Chairman, Paramount Pictures. “Because of Blu-ray’s phenomenal capabilities, the Sapphire Series will deliver the best pictures in the best picture.”

“I’m delighted that Forrest Gump is going to be a part of Paramount’s Sapphire Series so that fans can enjoy it at home with pristine picture and sound along with a wealth of special features to give the film context,” said director Robert Zemeckis. “It’s wonderful that Paramount is taking the time to produce exceptional Blu-ray presentations of these classic films.”

The Sapphire Series release of Zemeckis’ worldwide phenomenon Forrest Gump will arrive on November 3. Celebrating its 15th anniversary in 2009, Forrest Gump will feature new material including a brand new roundtable discussion. More details will follow later in the year.

Braveheart Blu-ray Details

Winner of five Academy Awards® including Best Picture, the exhilarating epic Braveheart is one of the most anticipated films on Blu-ray according to Amazon.com and continues to be beloved by fans and critics alike. The film will be presented in 1080p High Definition with English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English, English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles. Among the more than two hours of new special features to be included on Braveheart are:

• Interactive Timelines—Three distinct timelines featuring a combination of video, images, text and audio that can be accessed linearly or randomly.
o Production: A comprehensive chronology of the motion picture from conception through theatrical release, from a behind-the-scenes point of view.
o Historical: Chronological modules feature Scotland’s greatest patriot, along with historical places, figures and events surrounding his life and struggle.
o Fiction: A comprehensive timeline identifying the chronological events of the film.

• Braveheart: A Look Back— Features new interviews with members of the cast and crew reminiscing about their experiences making the film and its enduring impact on cinema.

• Smithfield: Medieval Killing Fields—Relates the remarkable history of Smithfield, which for centuries was regularly filled with the roars of crowds, regal fanfares and rowdy games. Smithfield is also known as the site of
William Wallace’s execution, along with other terrifying spectacles when heretics, rebels and criminals were put to death.

• Battlefields of the Scottish Rebellion— Two major Scottish battlefields, Falkirk and Bannockburn, will be presented as 3D models that can be explored for further investigation into the military strategies and timetables employed in each. Topography, weapons, troop movements, and leadership data can also be accessed. An alternate playing mode will allow the story of each battle to unfold in an “automated” fashion, much like the interactive dioramas displayed at historical site museums around the world.

Gladiator Blu-ray Details

Director Ridley Scott’s triumphant Gladiator is an unparalleled combination of vivid action and extraordinary storytelling that earned five Oscars® including Best Picture and is also on Amazon.com’s top 10 list of most anticipated Blu-ray titles. The Blu-ray presentation will include both the original theatrical version of the film as well as the extended version in 1080p High Definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French 5.1 Dolby Digital and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, as well as English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Korean subtitles. The two-disc set also will feature over four hours of bonus material including, but not limited to, the following:

• Audio Commentary—Two separate commentaries accompany the original theatrical version and extended version of the film.

• The Scrolls of Knowledge—The original trivia track has been newly enhanced with focus points allowing viewers to access a series of new behind-the-scenes featurettes exploring key scenes and how they relate to the historical accuracy depicted in the film. The extended version of the film also includes a deleted scene marker.

• Visions From Elysium: Topic Marker—Viewers can tag moments of interest throughout either version of the film, allowing them to create “shopping lists” of topics to learn more about. Thanks to the Blu-ray player’s memory, the topics will automatically be loaded when Disc 2 is inserted, giving viewers immediate access to featurettes and galleries of interest.

• Strength And Honor: Creating The World of Gladiator—The definitive documentary on the origin, production and impact of the Oscar®-winning classic. The documentary includes an all-new Enhanced Viewing Mode allowing viewers access to additional interviews and behind-the-scenes material.

• The Making of Gladiator—HBO First Look special.

• Gladiator Games: The Roman Bloodsport—Learning Channel special.

• Hans Zimmer: Scoring Gladiator—An exploration of the rousing soundtrack.

• My Gladiator Journal—Personal diary of the young actor who played Lucius.

• Image & Design—Featurettes and galleries covering the production design, storyboards, costumes and more.

• Abandoned Sequences & Deleted Scenes

• VFX Explorations: Germania & Rome—Shot deconstruction with the visual effects artists.

Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. PPC is a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. PHE is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment products on behalf of various parties including: Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Paramount Famous Productions, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.
--

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
While I wouldn't call these three "the greatest pictures ever made" I'm glad to see this is happening, although one wishes it were happening with films that were more interesting. For me, I just don't care for these three films very much - and when do they speak to their incredible catalog which, BTW, does contain some of the best pictures ever made.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
While I am excited for these films, I am curious to know what the MSRP on these 'Sapphire Series' discs will be.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
All very good films that I would love to pick up. A little nervous that there is no MSRP attached. Too high a price will definitely limit my purchases. Worth highlighting for those just skimming the press release is that Forrest Gump will arrive on November 3 while the other two films street on Sept. 1st.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In fairness to them, they did say some of "the greatest films ever made" so we can argue that point with all three being Best Picture AA winners as these press releases are meant for the general public's consumption and not film buffs, who have higher standards than just Oscars.

Crawdaddy

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If you ask me, I think there is little coming out on Blu-ray
catalog-wise this year that can top all three of those movies.

Of course, that's my personal opinion, but when you get right down
to it, these are the real heavyweights of the Paramount/DreamWorks
film library. I couldn't be more pleased about all these films being
released and I will gladly fork over money to replace my sDVD versions.

Thank you Paramount.

If the information on AMAZON is correct, the MSRP is $39.99 (very expensive)
with a preorder price of $35.99 (still very expensive).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just wished that Paramount also released another of their great Best Picture winners "The Greatest Show on Earth" onto Blu-ray.;) Well, maybe not so great, but at least entertaining.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I agree and I don't even really like Gladiator or Braveheart. All three of these are some of the bigger movies of the last 15 years so all the people who want more catalog titles should have something to look forward to.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
There are few others that can top these as far as PQ/SQ, that is certain. While I'm not a big fan of any of these movies (I enjoy them, don't get me wrong, and think they are well-made) but I am glad to see more big-name catalog titles being released.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm just picturing the hue and cry from grain-haters if Gladiator is presented faithfully. Conversely, if Paramount DNRs the hell out of it, I'll be passing.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Looking forward to Braveheart & Gladiator, but a bit disappointed that the artwork seems to have taken a step backwards by splashing big swashes of blue on the cover. The format war is over, and I wish we could stop making everything so damn blue!

Got (Seventh Seal Criterion Collection) for Fathers Day yesterday and the packaging is a joy - blu-sized keepcase, room for a booklet and no blue everywhere. Criterion hit a home run with this one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
He's not talking about PQ/SQ, but impact on the general public in regard to people buying into Blu-ray based on big titles.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, the MSRP is not as bad as I thought it could be and the preorder price will come down some in the next couple of months. These might be discounted a lot during the holiday months to get more people to adopt BR.

Crawdaddy

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
For me, catalog titles don't mean pictures made in the last fifteen years. At all. For me, these three may be heavyweights for the Paramount/Dreamworks films, but they are not heavyweights for Paramount's catalog - they didn't even exist fifteen years ago. No, I'd say the heavyweights are things like Breakfast at Tiffany's, Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby, The Ten Commandments, True Grit, Sunset Blvd., Roman Holiday, and a bunch of others I could name, all of which, for me, are more heavyweight than the likes of Braveheart, Gladiator, and Forrest Gump. I understand others' mileage may vary.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
I didn't know there was a definition for "catalog title."
What is it? Like a two year old film is a catalog title just because it's not current? That's a little random for me. Paramount has one of the great libraries, and like most studios these days they seem not to have learned the lesson about what made DVD take off with the masses, i.e. catalog titles - deep catalog titles that people snapped up left and right when they moved from VHS. They got everyone by doing that - collectors, fans, everyone. Blu-Ray needs to do two things to capture that kind of buyer - drop the prices and release deeper catalog titles. All my opinion, of course.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They're the heavyweights for the under 40 crowd that the studios are trying to get to buy into BR. I'm afraid those other great titles you mentioned have to hang onto the coattails of those other three titles for any future BR releases. I don't like it, but that's the reality of the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks