What's new

Alien Workprint Cut for Blu Ray release (1 Viewer)

AlexTheMan

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
A good feature that would make cash-straded consumers buy the Blu-Ray edition of Alien would be to present a third cut of the film--the workprint cut.
Mike Matessino, co-producer for the 2007 CD release of the Alien soundtrack, writes on the album’s liner notes that this cut runs 127 minutes—over 10 minutes longer then the theatrical version—and features edits and pacing that is different then the theatrical version. For example, Matessino, on the liner notes, describes Parker and Lambert’s death scene from the shot list prepared by music editor Bob Hathaway-----alternating shots between the approaching alien and Ripley, searching for the cat, suggest that Ripley would be the next to be killed, but later it would turn out to be Lambert, quite similar to what Jonathan Demme would do later in the final quarter of Silence of the Lambs.

This workprint cut would be the version that Jerry Goldsmith used to work on the music. Goldsmith plotted his music right down to each frame film. A shot list consisting of the each action in the film with timings of each action --a cue sheet--would be prepared for the composer so that his punctuations of instrumental accents, and non-musical sound effects could hit at specific points in the footage to give off the emotional effect. After the music was recorded for this workprint cut, director Scott re-edited it. Naturally, the music would not fit Scott’s re-cut film, so the music had to be modified for this new version. Most of the music was thrown out from the film either to have some scenes not scored or replaced with music from an older Goldsmith called “Freud.”

By finding this workprint, Goldsmith’s complete music would fit properly to the film and we-- being either fans of the film, Goldsmith, and film students—can see effect that Goldsmith intended to bring to the movie.

This workout cut should be included in the Blu-Ray release of Alien for the same reason that the Blade Runner workprint should be included.

I would sacrifice portions of my mortgage payments to buy the Blu-Ray release just for the Workprint cut, alone :D .

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While this would be great to have, I don't know that Fox would be as accommodating as Warner Bros in making this happen.

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten
Originally Posted by AlexTheMan /forum/thread/289316/alien-workprint-cut-for-blu-ray-release#post_3574255

donaldjeo

Auditioning
Real Name
Donald
Thanks for sharing information. its really nice and mean full. I want to write more but these days I am doing preparation of different online certifications and I found network+ practice exam guide is the best helping source which is providing 100% authentic material. I also spend my extra time in surfing internet, listening music and playing games. After my exams I would like to join your group.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks