What's new

Home Theater ? (1 Viewer)

phantom76

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Hello,
I am trying to make a decision on which route to take. I am trying to decide between HTIB or buying everything separate. I was looking at HTIB ONKYO HT-S7100. What speakers should I get if I buy everything separate? Price range is between $700-1300. Any suggestions?

phantom76

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Thanks David. Any other suggestions? I'm looking for 7.1 surround but 5.1 will be fine. Speakers that are small that pack some power.
thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Small speakers never pack power. Actually, only powered speakers pack power at all, but that's another issue. That SVS set is a real deal. They aren't tiny, but tiny speakers sound like they look, tiny. They are small enough.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
David's suggestion is good for the high end of your price range. They are also toward the larger size of bookshelves, good from a sound perspective (can crossover lower, avoid localization of sub), but maybe less so for aesthetic/WAF purposes

Lower down, I'd look at sub/sats also from (in no particular order):
HSU Research
Elemental Designs
Thespeakercompany
Energy (wwstereo.com audioadvisor.com)

Speakers tend to be personal preference, and it's hard to compare these days since most of the good value brands are internet direct, but all of these have some decent reviews from some people on the internet.

For receiver, Onkyo 607 if you want 7.1 eventually. 507 is 5.1 only. Can spend more per speaker with 5.1 obviously.

phantom76

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Sorry for the late response. Thanks for the suggestions. The only problem is some of the products put me well above my price range. What do you think about the HTIB ONKYO HT-S7100? I know it's a little cheaper than the ones you suggested.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Onkyo has some decent HTIB's...I started out with one. But after about six months I started reading and discovered there was much better for just a little more. If you are even semi-serious about good sound I would suggest biting the bullet and investing in something a little better to start with.

The SVS 5.1 package that was suggested above sounds like a great start (and comes with a real subwoofer) - you can always save and add two more surrounds later.

phantom76

Grip
Real Name
Mike
So does the Onkyo 607 have a two zone? I would like to have some additional speakers in the lanai area. I looked up the specs on Newegg and I did not see anything.

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonas

Newegg may have some info lacking on some stuff, so just check onkyo website for the information like gene suggested.

phantom76

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Ok I am most likely going with the Onkyo 607 and the SVS speakers. I have a mid-large room so will these speakers have enough power that will give me excellent sound?

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I won't bore you with extra technical specs because i don't think your HT addiction has come along far enough yet to obsess but with the power that your receiver is going to put out you will have a good sounding system until you are ready to upgrade.

phantom76

Grip
Real Name
Mike
So no one here suggests the Onkyo HTIB or any HTIB. Reason why I am asking is because my friend said he heard the Onkyo HTIB that I ask about earlier in this discussion. He said it sounds pretty good. Also I was trying to go wireless for the rear surround. Is there anything out there besides Rocketfish? Or is Rocketfish the best thing out? I have one right now on my old system. Or do I need to stay wired all the way around?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you HAVE to go HTiB, then the Onkyo's are probably the best. Still, the speakers will be the weak point.

If you friend likes the sound of the HTiB, wait until he hears your SVS setup.

Wireless is normally a huge compromise. Convenience over sound.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
the aversion to HTiB's is mostly about odds, then taste and finally practical reality.

the odds are against the HTiB's in two ways:
1 - a company who focuses on one type of product is much more likely to produce a better product and/ or a better value for that type of product. so an svs, aperion, psb or martin logan is just more likely to produce a superior speaker to a an onkyo, sony or panasonic. that said, if you look at speakers from those big electronics companies over the last 20-30 years there are some great speakers and great values. but there's a whole lot more that would be handily beat by a comparably priced speaker from a speaker company or is just junk.
2 - odds are that the people who post on here could think of 3 systems they'd rather listen to than an HTiB of the same price.

as for taste, you could be one of those people who does not hear the difference or does but actually likes or prefers the sound of the HTiB. is spite of all our opinions, there are plenty of people who love their HTiB's and bose systems. this is why it is imperative that you listen to as many things as you can before you buy. let your ears be your guide. you will know what sounds good to you when you hear it.
as for practical reality:
1 - again follow your ears.
2 - speakers have more to do with the sound you hear than any other part of the system so they are where you ought to allocate the majority of your budget assuming getting the best quality sound you can afford is a priority (and you have established that you can hear the difference.)

enjoy

phantom76

Grip
Real Name
Mike
So will the Onkyo 607 with SVS 7.1 speakers or Onkyo HTIB be sufficient for my living room size (14' 2"x 24' 3" height between 11'-14' )?

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
define "sufficient".

either would be a big upgrade over the speakers that come in a tv. the svs and 607 combo will blow away the HTiB in terms of both volume with clarity and low end extension and power.

that room has a lot of volume for either sub to fill for strong bass. if i were you, i'd go for the svs package with 5.1 and the PB12 over the 7.1 with the PB10. they're basically the same price and if you are interested in loud especially at the low end, the extra sub will add a lot more to your system than the rear surrounds. the rear surrounds are only really relevant for titles that have come out in the last couple of years and even then, many titles don't actually have any specific rear surround content (it is generated by the receiver). you can always add the rear surrounds later and there are many speakers that would do the job adequately for $100/pr or less. of course if you really want the 7.1, you're getting the extra pair of sbs1's for $150 when they're normally over $200/pr.

keep in mind some simple justifying math. you figure this system will give you pleasure for at least five years, it will last much longer but you may have justified upgrading by then. so, five years = 1825 days. so if you go over budget divide the amount over budget by 1825. for example, you decide to spend $300 over your budget. 300/1825=0.16438356 or 16 cents a day! that's nothing! this is how i justified my $600 sub when i was budgeting $300. let me tell you, i'm glad i spent it and i truly believe it was worth every penny. the hardest part is not buying another as it is now available for under $500...

it is a sickness...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks