What's new

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Title: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Tagline: Revenge is coming.

Genre: Science Fiction, Action, Adventure

Director: Michael Bay

Cast: Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox, Josh Duhamel, Tyrese Gibson, John Turturro, Ramón Rodríguez, Kevin Dunn, Julie White, Isabel Lucas, John Benjamin Hickey, Matthew Marsden, Andrew Howard, Michael Papajohn, Glenn Morshower, John Eric Bentley, Erin Naas, Spencer Garrett, Rainn Wilson, Katie Lowes, Jonathon Trent, Walker Howard, America Olivo, Aaron Hill, Jareb Dauplaise, John Sanderford, Christopher Curry, Cas Anvar, Michael Benyaer, Deep Roy, Ruben Martinez, Ralph Meyering Jr., Aaron Norvell, Eric Pierpoint, Annie Korzen, Sean T. Krishnan, David Bowe, Kamal Jones, Aaron Lustig, Jim Holmes, Kristen Welker, Cornell Womack, David Luengas, Derek Alvarado, Alex Fernandez, Casey Nelson, Jason Roehm, John Nielsen, Rick Cramer, Arnold Chun, Marvin Jordan, Marc Evan Jackson, Josh Kelly, Jayson Floyd, Geoff Reeves, Aaron Garrido, Joel Lambert, David Paul Olsen, Brian Shehan, Peter Cullen, Mark Ryan, Reno Wilson, Jess Harnell, Robert Foxworth, André Sogliuzzo, Grey DeLisle, Hugo Weaving, Tony Todd, Charlie Adler, Frank Welker, Tom Kenny, Calvin Wimmer, John Di Crosta, Michael York, Kevin Michael Richardson, Robin Atkin Downes, Jenn An, Alexandra Begg, Caitlin Dulany, Andrew Hwang, Matt Iseman, Shayna Ryan, Karina Michel

Release: 2009-06-19

Runtime: 149

Plot: Sam Witwicky leaves the Autobots behind for a normal life. But when his mind is filled with cryptic symbols, the Decepticons target him and he is dragged back into the Transformers' war.

this is the second sequel for bay. his first sequel for bad boys 2. which I did not like at all. was it better then that?

Jacob

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Sounds a lot like Bad Boys 2, which I love dearly, despite how bad it actually really is.

Michael Bay is the ONLY filmmaker I can let slide when it comes to his indulgences and his particular style of filmmaking.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
We all have our guilty pleasures. Bay is not really one of mine, though I appreciate his visual flair. It is hard to get by his disdain for a coherent script or comprehensible motivation. The reviews for this aren't surprising, which is too bad. It seems to have amped up the first film, the good, the bad, and the retarded.

The man has found his niche though. Hope the fans enjoy the film. I hope my son does as well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Jim_E

Stunt Coordinator
I have enjoyed the majority of Bay's films, with the exception of The Island. Revenge of the Fallen does have a few things in common with Bad Boys 2 - its overly long, everything is amped up from the original, there are thinner characters, more over the top 'humour', inadvertent drug taking, cameras spinning around actors and animal sex gags (rats in Bad Boys 2, Dogs and Decepticons - separately! - here).

I think the difference for me is that Bad Boys 2 seemed to benefit from being so over the top, whereas Revenge of the Fallen seemed to me to be out of step from the characters in the first film. I quite liked what Shia Labouf brought to Transformers, but felt he didn't have much character to work with this time out.

Also, if you're going to subtitle your film 'Revenge of the Fallen' you really should establish 'the Fallen' and give him some motivation. He's barely in the film and you never really get his relationship with Megatron, aside from a few mentions of master and apprentice which just brings up memories of Star Wars. Maybe I just don't have much memory of the old TV show.

It sounds like I hated the film, but I didn't. It does have its moments. I just feel that it's not too much to ask that my summer blockbuster have believable characters and consistent internal logic. This isn't as bad as Wolverine or Terminator Salvation, but I expected more.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Question for anyone who has already seen it: Is Beetlejuice in the movie? He was spotted on the set about a year ago but I don't see his name listed on IMDb.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Why would Michael Keaton be reprising his role for a Transformers movie?

All joking aside, I am starting to actually look forward to this. I hated the first movie, but I saw Shai Lebeouf on Conan and they were talking about the biggest real-life explosion involving the actual actors in movie history. Now I am intrigued.

Spero D

Second Unit
Just saw it and was Dissapointed. Not crap but an average sequel. After loving the 1st one I was so looking forward to this.

Micheal Bay sometimes less is more. Just to much thrown in on this one. Didn't care about the human characters at all. John Tutturo (sp?) was one of the only bright spots. And with the action it was hard to keep track of who was who with the shaky cam and close ups, especially since most of the robots weren't properly introduced. The 1st one also had a better story to. Oh well, it is what it is.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Sounds like I'm going to love this film.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
It will be interesting to see how well this does at the box office. Roger Ebert gives it one star and local reviewers here give it their lowest rating. I bet it will be number one at the box office for it's first weekend.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Oh man this thing sounds like a turd. Part of me wants to see this trainwreck while another part of me has enough common sense to know to stay away. I think I'll listen to my common sense side.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I just got back from an early showing. I had a free ticket so figured why not. I should have stayed out. I went in already thinking this would be bad, but at least I'd admire the special effects.

Did someone forget, and maybe I haven't seen this but how can almost no one address the absolute crazy racism in this film(?) You've got a robot with a thick jar-jar type accent going on who they have shuffle around, be a bafoon, and with dialog that absolutely pushes PG-13 to the limit. If someone had told me I'd have a racist stereotype shuffling around as a robot saying "bitch" "p---y" "mf" at a continous pace, I would have not wasted time. I saw parents with kids walk out, and who the heck could blame them? Maybe it's the "uptight midwest" but I thought this was going to be a film that reviewed bad because it was all effects and no story. I could deal with that and say "bad film, but effects were good"

But what the heck is with messing up a film aimed at kids with dialog that makes absolutely no sense at all coming from a robot. (I mean, a robot calling someone p---- is ludicris. Do I need to walk out of a theater debating robot genitalia?)

This isn't just a bad film with good effects, this is a truly horrible film. There is almost no reason for anyone to suffer through this god awful mess.

I'm not normally all politically-correct, but the fact that I had no warning that there would be this kind of crazy stereotype presented through a set of foul-mouthed robots is mindboggling. I am absolutely puzzled that this did not get more of a backlash from the black community, because it's at least 10x worse then JarJar ever was.. at least JarJar wasn't adding to the stereotype with over the top language, libido and the like in a film aimed for the family.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Well, Bay has always targeted the mindset of a 14 year old boy in his films, so that sort of thing should come as no surprise.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
This quote from a reviewer made me chuckle -- and this is actually from one of the few positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes:

Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen - WDCW

"Good when its good, but shockingly, horrifyingly bad when its bad"

I don't think I've ever read "shockingly, horrifyingly bad" used in a "positive" review before, lol.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I'm sure people will leap to Bay's defense, calling people who were bothered by it "uptight" or "taking things too seriously".

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I saw the first one on cable and still felt ripped off. Though I will never see this film, it is gratifying to see the overwhelmingly negative reviews. Unfortunately, it'll be a financial success. There'll never be a chance for this franchise to be done over and done right.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks