Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What's a fair price for used exercise equipment?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,648 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 19 2009 - 05:07 AM

A friend is moving and is selling her elliptical machine. (Horizon Fitness CSE3HR) It's four years old and was about $1000 new. I think it's had moderate use and is good condition. My wife and I are thinking of buying it and are trying to determine a fair price to offer.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on buying used exercise equipment. Posted Image

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 07:53 AM

Ebay-- What ever they are getting on their is fair market value. Option two: Call a place that buys used equipment and pretend it is yours and see how much they will give you for it.
The Legend is better than reality!

#3 of 12 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,012 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 19 2009 - 08:32 AM

As is true with any purchase...a fair price for an item is whatever it's worth to the buyer (and, I suppose, the seller Posted Image ).

FWIW, my wife and I bought a used elliptical machine a couple of years ago through the classified ads. We got a GREAT deal on THIS MACHINE. We plopped it right into the corner of our living room (near the TV) and used it ALL the time! Posted Image

It is an older machine--which I'm not even sure is made anymore. As you can see from the flyer, it retailed for about $500. We paid $80! The battery compartment was a bit corroded but that cleaned up fine and the unit has been a great investment for us. We have since joined a gym but still use it on those occasions when our schedules don't allow us time for the gym.

Too late to make this a short story...but whatever price seems fair to you and the current owner will be what gets it done. But as long as you are committed to not turning it into a "clothes hanger," you will find you've made a good purchase! Posted Image

Good luck!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,648 posts

Posted June 20 2009 - 01:11 AM

Making this harder is this specific item is not on ebay and only one on craigslist in a different state so there's insufficient data to quickly determine marketprice. Posted Image

The seller is a friend so I don't want to offer too low; but I don't want to blatantly overpay.

This is to be a supplement to the gym membership (and hopefully not just a new perch for the cats).

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor

• 627 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted June 20 2009 - 01:44 AM

As someone who has just finished moving I can tell you that I sold some things for way below what they were worth just so I wouldn't have to move them. Just ask her what she is willing to take, if you haven't already, and she might make you a good deal.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 03:56 AM

I would use craigslist for pricematching as well as ebay, since its a heavier item. How badly do you want it? If offering $200 at the outset is lowball, wait until a few weeks before shes moving and see if its still available. At that point, you'll be doing her a favor by taking it and you'll get a good deal, and your friendship will survive intact.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,648 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 04:44 AM

I searched ebay for other equipment from the same manufacturer and got a sense of how much value was lost. Based on that I offered $150 which is somewhere between fair and generous. She was fine with that.

#8 of 12 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,012 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 22 2009 - 06:07 AM

...and everybody's happy! Posted Image

Enjoy your new elliptical, Dave!

Don't hide it in an unused, empty room! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,648 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 02:00 PM

We recently cleaned the (unfinished) basement for the new cats. We'll put it there and hopefully that will work well.

#10 of 12 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,012 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 22 2009 - 02:19 PM

Uh oh...out of sight, out of mind! Posted Image

Well, since you said this machine is to supplement your gym membership, you might be allright. You didn't ask for the input...but I'll (go ahead anyway and) just say that my wife and I found great success with putting it where we had no excuse for not using it (the living room--near the TV & HT). I know many people would recoil at that idea...but we really wanted to make the exercise a priority. For us, the elliptical became so well used, we went the other way and decided to add the gym membership to supplement our home workouts! Posted Image

Of course, some cats LIKE elliptical machines...

Posted Image

Even bunnies...

Posted Image

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 02:36 PM

You've got cats and bunnies? How does that work? I love my ellipitical, a Vision Fitness 6100 that cost $1,400 new. It is near gym quality and is smoother than most, even Nordic Trac. Lesser machines tend to hurt my knees but man did you get a deal!
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,648 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 03:19 PM

This is in the category of things that, for $150, is worth trying; but we won't be crying over it if it's a bad buy. This is definitely not gym quality and is not a perfect fit for me. But if I use it once a week, it will be money well spent.

And maybe the cats will find some use from it too Posted Image The little kitten is getting a bit pudgy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users