-

Photo

Fritz Lang: Where's the rest?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 02:56 AM

Fritz Lang was one of the masters of Film Noir, yet there are several of his highly praised films still unavailable on DVD and a number of lesser films that are also absent. I would like to narrow down, who owns the rights to these films. This will focus on his Hollywood output. I realize that several of these are available in other regions, but the hassles of ordering those along with the extra costs are something I only take on rarely.

• You and Me (1938) - A crime drama starring George Raft and Sylvia Sydney. This was released on VHS by Universal, so I would assume that they are still the rights holder.
  • Western Union (1941) - A Robert Young/Randolph Scott western that was produced by Fox. This was released on DVD by Fox in Region 2 only, and on VHS.
  • Ministry of Fear (1944) - A highly acclaimed film noir starring Ray Milland. This was produced by Paramount and released on VHS by Universal. Where's the DVD?
  • Secret Beyond the Door (1948) - Another highly acclaimed film noir starring Joan Bennett. This was distributed by Universal, but I can't find any record of it on home video. Does Universal own the rights to this too?
  • American Guerilla in the Phillipines (195) - A Tyrone Power war film that was produced by 20th Century Fox. I found a copy on Amazon, but I question it's authenticity. Does Fox still own the rights to this too?
  • Rancho Notorious (1952) - An excellent western starring Marlene Dietrich. This was an RKO production, so I would assume that this is now in WB's hands. I've never heard any substantial rumors about this title though, and that really shocks me.  Available in WB Archive
  • Human Desire (1954) - I caught this film noir on TCM last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. How can you lose with Glenn Ford and Gloria Grahame. This was a Columbia production, so I would assume it's a Sony property. Maybe we'll see this in one of their Noir sets later this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Moonfleet (1955) - Swashbuckling adventure starring Stewart Granger. Available in WB Archive
  • While the City Sleeps (1956) - One of Lang's most respected Noirs and stars Dana Andrews and George Sanders. This was an RKO production, so likely under WB's control now. I can't understand what is holding this title up? I would have thought this would have been a candidate for one of their earliest Noir boxes.  Available in WB Archive
  • Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (1956) - Another noir with Dana Andrews along side Joan Fontaine. Yet another RKO production, and Lang's last film in Hollywood. Where's the DVD?  Available in WB Archive
I'm absolutely shocked that films of this caliber can still be missing from the format. Several of which saw VHS releases.

Does anybody have any info that I've missed?

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,185 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 03:49 AM

REASONABLE DOUBT has been remade with Michael Douglas, which might get the original out of the vaults.

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Frank M

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson
[*]Western Union (1941) - A Robert Young/Randolph Scott western that was produced by Fox. This was released on DVD by Fox in Region 2 only, and on VHS.
[*]Ministry of Fear (1944) - A highly acclaimed film noir starring Ray Milland. This was produced by Paramount and released on VHS by Universal. Where's the DVD?

Both films are available on Region 2 DVD in Germany:

Überfall der Ogalalla - Hollywood Highlights: Amazon.de: Randolph Scott, Robert Young, Dean Jagger, Viginia Gilmore, John Carradine, Slim Summerville, Chill Wills, Barton MacLane, Fritz Lang: DVD & Blu-ray

Ministerium der Angst: Ray Milland, Marjorie Reynolds, Carl Esmond, Victor Young, Fritz Lang: Amazon.de: DVD & Blu-ray

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank M

Both are also available in the UK as well as Rancho Notorious.

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Miguel M Santos

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 10:45 AM

Quote:
[*]Secret Beyond the Door (1948) - Another highly acclaimed film noir starring Joan Bennett. This was distributed by Universal, but I can't find any record of it on home video. Does Universal own the rights to this too?

Is available in France

http://www.amazon.fr....5451622&sr=1-1

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   Fabian Kusch

Fabian Kusch

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 11:31 PM

WESTERN UNION and MINISTRY OF FEAR are also out in Australia. Both feature audio commentaries by Australian film scholars.

HUMAN DESIRE is out in Spain. As opposed to the hard-to-get Japanese DVD, this features only a passable 4x3 tranfer, but it's better than nothing.

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted June 19 2009 - 11:41 PM

HUMAN DESIRE was broadcast on TCM recently from a very clean widescreen master.

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted June 20 2009 - 01:51 AM

SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR was announced as coming out on dvd at one point, but was pulled at the last moment by LionsGate. LionsGate is also "sitting on" (probably literally) MOONRISE, THE DARK MIRROR, PITFALL, Welles' MACBETH, THE SPECTRE OF THE ROSE, CAUGHT, and CASBAH.
Charles Hoyt

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,617 posts

Posted June 20 2009 - 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles H
SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR was announced as coming out on dvd at one point, but was pulled at the last moment by LionsGate. LionsGate is also "sitting on" (probably literally) MOONRISE, THE DARK MIRROR, PITFALL, Welles' MACBETH, THE SPECTRE OF THE ROSE, CAUGHT, and CASBAH.

Also TRY AND GET ME (aka THE SOUND OF FURY), BEWARE MY LOVELY, PRIVATE HELL 36, Robert Siodmak's (THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF) UNCLE HARRY, Don Siegel's RIOT IN CELL BLOCK 11, SHACK OUT ON 101, PLUNDER ROAD, JENNIFER, MAGIC TOWN, MR. PEABODY & THE MERMAID, HOPPITY GOES TO TOWN, etc.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 01:40 AM

Also TRY AND GET ME (aka THE SOUND OF FURY), BEWARE MY LOVELY, PRIVATE HELL 36, Robert Siodmak's (THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF) UNCLE HARRY, Don Siegel's RIOT IN CELL BLOCK 11, SHACK OUT ON 101, PLUNDER ROAD, JENNIFER, MAGIC TOWN, MR. PEABODY & THE MERMAID, HOPPITY GOES TO TOWN, etc.

It really makes you hope that when this contract expires, Paramount either keeps these titles are gives them to Criterion or somebody who will actually do something with them. Criterion could do amazing things with some of these titles.

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted February 04 2011 - 01:45 AM

Updated the first post!  There's still a lot to desire in Lang land!!

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,949 posts

Posted February 04 2011 - 08:05 AM

According to IMDB, While the City Sleeps was independently produced.  It was released on VHS by some outfit called United Home Video.  It may be that WHV does not have the rights to release it itself.

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted February 04 2011 - 08:20 AM

Last year, WAC said on Facebook that they're working on While the City Sleeps and Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. I guess, they'll get an Archive release in the distant future.

You and Me (Du und Ich) is out in Germany in a very nice edition from Koch Media.

American Guerilla in the Phillipines (Guerilleros En Filipinas) has been released in Spain from Fox/Impulso.

Beyond a Reasonable Doubt will also be released by Exposure Cinema in the UK in 2011.

Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#14 of 25 ONLINE   Dan McW

Dan McW

Second Unit

• 335 posts

Posted February 04 2011 - 07:45 PM

• Secret Beyond the Door (1948) - Another highly acclaimed film noir starring Joan Bennett. This was distributed by Universal, but I can't find any record of it on home video. Does Universal own the rights to this too?

FWIW, Republic released SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR on VHS.

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   leopardman

leopardman

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 26 2011 - 02:25 AM

Just thought I'd say that SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR is coming to DVD here in the UK in November. It is Region free aswell! Don't know about the print/extras though. Secret Beyond the Door DVD - Amazon

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,839 posts

Posted August 28 2011 - 09:50 PM

Last year, WAC said on Facebook that they're working on While the City Sleeps and Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. I guess, they'll get an Archive release in the distant future.

You and Me (Du und Ich) is out in Germany in a very nice edition from Koch Media.

American Guerilla in the Phillipines (Guerilleros En Filipinas) has been released in Spain from Fox/Impulso.

Beyond a Reasonable Doubt will also be released by Exposure Cinema in the UK in 2011.

The Exposure DVD of Beyond A Reasonable Doubt is from a low quality print with a lot of damage.

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,185 posts

Posted August 29 2011 - 01:25 AM

WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS and BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT were added to the Warner Archive a few months ago.

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,251 posts

Posted September 03 2011 - 04:55 AM

The Exposure DVD of Beyond A Reasonable Doubt is from a low quality print with a lot of damage.

I had placed an order with Amazon.co.uk for Beyond A Reasonable Doubt since I was very happy with Exposure's While The City Sleeps. I didn't want the faux wide screen of the Warners Archives version. But I got an e-mail from Amazon.Uk that Exposure's Beyond A Reasonable Doubt is no longer available. I wonder why it's been pulled because its only been on the market for a couple of months. I guess I'll have to seek out the Spanish DVD. http://www.thecinema...at.blogspot.com

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,103 posts

Posted September 03 2011 - 04:57 AM

This is just a theory (and could very well be wrong), but could Exposure have also been affected by the warehouse fire which affected Network?

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted September 03 2011 - 07:13 AM

I updated the first post to show the availability in the archive. Personally, I don't consider anything in the archive to be a proper release and even when on sale, I consider them to be over-priced. I will continue to wait and spend my money with studio that put out proper releases. My money that used to go to WB, now goes to Criterion and other labels.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow