Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Lionsgate Press Release: Mad Monster Party: Special Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,620 posts

Posted June 18 2009 - 09:41 AM

Lionsgate is proud to announce the upcoming DVD release arriving on September 8th - Mad Monster Party: Special Edition.

Mad Monster Party: Special Edition
Mad Monster Party, the beloved animated Halloween classic, comes to Special Edition DVD this September from Lionsgate. Featuring the voices of horror film legend Boris Karloff (Frankenstein) as Baron Boris von Frankenstein and Golden Globe® nominee Phyllis Diller (TV's "The Pruitts of Southampton," Best TV Star-Female, 1966) as the Monster's Mate, Mad Monster Party: Special Edition is a hilariously spooky classic! This treasured stop-motion movie comes from the studios of Rankin-Bass - the team who created "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," "Frosty the Snowman" and other beloved holiday specials and has been called an inspiration for Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. The Mad Monster Party: Special Edition includes a brand-new retrospective featurette and two fun sing-a-longs, and is encased in frighteningly fun neon O-card DVD packaging - making it the perfect treat for Halloween this year!

Baron Von Frankenstein has decided to retire as the head of the Worldwide Organization of Monsters. But first, he must inform the other monsters about his plans. How to deliver the news? How else - through a Mad Monster Party! Von Frankenstein's guests include a who's who of Halloween favorites, including The Werewolf, Dracula, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Mummy, The Invisible Man and more. But who among them is fit to be the new head of the monsters? Find out in this frighteningly fun holiday classic from Rankin Bass ("Rudolph the
Red-Nosed Reindeer") that will leave kids of all ages howling with delight!
Pricing: DVD $14.98

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted June 18 2009 - 10:25 PM

Well, the price is right but I'm prefectly satisfied with my present Anchor Bay DVD, which is already pretty nice.

If Lionsgate is reading this... any chance of getting the rights to release WILLARD (1971) and BEN (1972)?

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,859 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 19 2009 - 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
Well, the price is right but I'm prefectly satisfied with my present Anchor Bay DVD, which is already pretty nice.

If Lionsgate is reading this... any chance of getting the rights to release WILLARD (1971) and BEN (1972)?

I second that. Please give us something that has not been previously released. I to am happy with the Anchor Bay release and have not spent any mony on Lionsgate releases since a couple of westerns back in the spring.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   JeffMc

JeffMc

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted June 19 2009 - 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi

Thirded. What a useless release. The Anchor Bay version (they actually already released it twice!) is still readily available (you can buy it new at Amazon for $10) and was quite a nice package already. Oh well - this one will probably get in to Best Buy and make Lions Gate money for Halloween so all the power to 'em.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Rob Brown

Rob Brown

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted June 23 2009 - 10:56 AM

I for one am glad that Lionsgate is rereleasing MAD MONSTER PARTY, as the Anchor Bay edition omitted a scream that falls at the very tail-end of the film. It's a minor omission, to be sure, but it's always irked me that it wasn't there. It irked me so much that I've held on to my VHS copy just because it's complete.

So, Lionsgate, if you happen to be reading this, PLEASE make sure that you have a copy of the complete film this time. If I find out that it's been corrected, you've got another sale. If not, then my Anchor Bay copy will suffice.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted June 23 2009 - 01:13 PM

I doubt that Lionsgate will correct this missing scream. With little exception, as part of their deal, StudioCanal does all the extras and mastering and pretty much hands them the finished DVD to release. So it is likely they are just taking the same master they provided Anchor Bay, minus the previous supplements since AB owns those, creating a couple new things of their own, and turning it in.
If StudioCanal had a U.S. office to address these issues to, it would really help things.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted June 23 2009 - 02:00 PM

I love Mad Monster Party. I am glad to see such a cult kiddie classic is still wildly remembered. I hope this long over due release gets some more features, but if not, then at least we get a nice documentary about the making of this classic film.

At the end of the movie, there is no scream, it is Yetch who is saying Yes!

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,616 posts

Posted June 23 2009 - 02:41 PM

Strange, it always sounded like Franchesca was saying that to me.

The missing "yes" does show up on the trailer, which makes me wonder if the crappy source of every tv print and VHS had it spliced in somehow on the tail end? And it's not like the movie was remixed into stereo, so why would one tiny soundtrack component be missing?

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,908 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 01:59 AM

It's Francesca saying 'Yeah" at the end- taken from the love song she sang to Felix in the jungle ("Never Was A Love Like Mine").
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,738 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 03:05 AM

Hmmm, this was always on my B-list "to-get", but I never quite got around to it. I might have to see if the new one offers anything better.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted June 24 2009 - 02:42 PM

Are the pervious features from the Anchor Bay release, going to be carried over as which are the trailer, and photo galleries?

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   sestamuch

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrock17
I love Mad Monster Party. I am glad to see such a cult kiddie classic is still wildly remembered. I hope this long over due release gets some more features, but if not, then at least we get a nice documentary about the making of this classic film.

At the end of the movie, there is no scream, it is Yetch who is saying Yes!

Ah, often wondered about the end bit.

Forum Nav Content I Follow