Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Seventh Seal -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#41 of 48 OFFLINE   24fpssean

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 08:05 AM

I have asked them, I've asked Jon Mulvaney himself. No response whatsoever. I asked them before I even started this thread.

“The cinema is an invention with no future…”     – Louis Lumière

#42 of 48 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 12 2011 - 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by 24fpssean 

I have asked them, I've asked Jon Mulvaney himself. No response whatsoever. I asked them before I even started this thread.

Well, I just asked on Facebook, so we'll see what happens.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#43 of 48 OFFLINE   24fpssean

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 08:09 AM

For some reason, clearly, prints are available with the truncated title. All I was asking for was an explanation, from either Criterion or someone else who might know. Criterion - Jon Mulvaney ignored me though we have had many email exchanges about other titles. Was this a creative decision by Bergman at some point? And why would the title not be re-centered if so?

#44 of 48 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,689 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 02:51 PM

Um.... no, you didn't just "ask a question."  If you'll recall, you called Criterion's QC person (whomever he/she might be) an idiot.  That's hardly civil, and in all honesty, I'd probably ignore you too at that point.

#45 of 48 OFFLINE   24fpssean

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted April 13 2011 - 04:05 AM

Thank, Craig. Since you clearly know everything about my communication with Criterion, perhaps you could be my liaison with Jon Mulvaney. I would never call anyone an idiot unless I had reason to. I had reason with Criterion because I had inquired about the truncated title and received no answer. Since you apparently cast no stones yourself and are as pure and virginal as the driven snow, I suppose you have no experience or reason to call anyone an idiot. Your halo is almost visible to the naked eye, even in your HTF avatar.  I will not apologize for my opinion. There, another stone for you to throw.

#46 of 48 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 13 2011 - 07:55 AM

Criterion on FB: "Checking into this one..."

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#47 of 48 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,689 posts

Posted April 13 2011 - 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by 24fpssean 

Thank, Craig. Since you clearly know everything about my communication with Criterion, perhaps you could be my liaison with Jon Mulvaney. I would never call anyone an idiot unless I had reason to. I had reason with Criterion because I had inquired about the truncated title and received no answer. Since you apparently cast no stones yourself and are as pure and virginal as the driven snow, I suppose you have no experience or reason to call anyone an idiot. Your halo is almost visible to the naked eye, even in your HTF avatar.  I will not apologize for my opinion. There, another stone for you to throw.

No, Sean, I have no insight as to the content of your email to John Mulvaney.  I do know that you called Criterion's QC person an idiot, right here in this thread, with virtually no indication that there was a QC problem or an actual mistake made.  It was unjustified then, and it's ridiculous that you continue to defend that kind of blind rudeness.  Grow up.  Nobody's impressed.

#48 of 48 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,211 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 13 2011 - 02:47 PM

And I think this discussion has run its course.

Everyone here consider yourself warned.  If you don't have something constructive to offer on Criterion's Blu-ray release of The Seventh Seal, please don't bother to post in this thread any more.

I have allowed a great deal of latitude with this thread as it has progressed to this point.

I will allow a last word to Brandon on the "det" controversy to report back on what, if anything, Criterion reports on Facebook.

But enough with the attacks on Criterion and on each other.  They are unpleasant, untoward and unproductive.

If anyone here feels a need to take things further, PM me.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon