Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Seventh Seal -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#21 of 48 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted September 23 2010 - 10:19 PM

And let's not forget that Them! is most unlike M.

I mean, come on fellas, what The...

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#22 of 48 OFFLINE   johnSM

johnSM

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted September 23 2010 - 10:44 PM

Damn this looks like an amazing bluray - I only wish Criterion would release this (and other blu titles) into the UK, or consider encoding region-free discs...

#23 of 48 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted September 24 2010 - 04:16 AM

The depths that HTFer's will stoop to in order to bitch about something never ceases to amaze me.

#24 of 48 OFFLINE   24fpssean

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted March 18 2011 - 05:46 AM

My point has been made.

“The cinema is an invention with no future…”     – Louis Lumière

#25 of 48 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,265 posts

Posted March 18 2011 - 08:37 AM

Wow - you reopened a thread that'd been dormant for six months so you could... what exactly? Posted Image

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#26 of 48 OFFLINE   24fpssean

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted March 18 2011 - 08:52 AM

So I could re-open an old wound for people who've never touched film, never worked on a feature film, never seen theatrically the classic films they critic on blu ray, or who generally live through the internet.

Or perhaps it was just because I'd forgotten about this thread for six months because I was working.

#27 of 48 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,345 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 18 2011 - 09:02 AM

It must be hard to have to associate with all us lowly internet peasants who haven't worked on a movie.

#28 of 48 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 18 2011 - 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 24fpssean 

So I could re-open an old wound for people who've never touched film, never worked on a feature film, never seen theatrically the classic films they critic on blu ray, or who generally live through the internet.

I'm pretty sure you're the only one with any scar tissue showing here.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#29 of 48 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,265 posts

Posted March 18 2011 - 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

I'm pretty sure you're the only one with any scar tissue showing here.

Yup.  One dude's who's bitter about a missing "det" - everyone else seems pretty content...Posted Image

Colin Jacobson

#30 of 48 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,448 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted March 19 2011 - 04:28 AM

It would be a different story of course if "The" was missing from say the on screen title of, The Magnificent Seven, that would detract from my enjoyment of the film, in fact I'll be pretty pissed off and demand my money back. But since it happened to a foreign film, who cares? Posted Image

Thanks for the review RAH, The Seventh Seal is one of my favourite Swedish films, not that I've seen many. I'm not a big fan of the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. But I did enjoy Let the Right One in..

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#31 of 48 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted March 19 2011 - 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Christou 

It would be a different story of course if "The" was missing from say the on screen title of, The Magnificent Seven, that would detract from my enjoyment of the film, in fact I'll be pretty pissed off and demand my money back. But since it happened to a foreign film, who cares? Posted Image

It's not the fact that it's a foreign film. Rather, it's the fact that it's clearly on the print (without the "Det") that was provided by Svensk Filmindustri to Criterion. So there are clearly versions out there where the title is "Seventh Seal" rather than "The Seventh Seal". Film titles weren't always as set in stone 50+ years ago like they are today, and could vary print to print more than one being authorized.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#32 of 48 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted March 19 2011 - 08:22 AM

Look what happened when they dropped the "The" off The Last Year At Marienbad. Now there are people who swear the whole movie doesn't make sense to them.

#33 of 48 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 19 2011 - 08:59 AM

Or perhaps it was just because I'd forgotten about this thread for six months because I was working.

That seems unlikely, since during four of those six months, you were actively posting here in other threads. (Knowing what a stickler for precision you are, I thought I would check. Posted Image )

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#34 of 48 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,265 posts

Posted March 20 2011 - 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Reuben 

That seems unlikely, since during four of those six months, you were actively posting here in other threads. (Knowing what a stickler for precision you are, I thought I would check. Posted Image )

Zing! Posted Image

If someone pulls out the "I let the thread go because I was busy with real life and not stuck on the Internet like you mouth-breathing nerds" card, they shouldn't leave evidence of their own mouth-breathing nerd-dom!

Colin Jacobson

#35 of 48 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,689 posts

Posted March 20 2011 - 03:34 PM

BOOM!  Roasted.

#36 of 48 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,610 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by JohnMor 

Look what happened when they dropped the "The" off The Last Year At Marienbad. Now there are people who swear the whole movie doesn't make sense to them.

Now I understand the confusion.  I must have seen one of those prints.  Precisely the same situation probably applies with the print of Antonioni's Avventura that was screened for us numerous times in film classes, as we could never understand what occurred, as someone simply vanished mid-film.  Imagine if one could find the original version of The Picnic at Hanging Rock, before the loss.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#37 of 48 OFFLINE   24fpssean

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 06:53 AM

Wow this has turned into a big CJ. What did I miss? People get so flustered when Criterion's infallibility is called into question and then praise the company to high heaven when they release a BD that actually looks the way a BD should look. An impersonal website triumph for you all! Congrats!

#38 of 48 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 07:08 AM

Wow this has turned into a big CJ. What did I miss? People get so flustered when Criterion's infallibility is called into question and then praise the company to high heaven when they release a BD that actually looks the way a BD should look. An impersonal website triumph for you all! Congrats!

Again, it's not a matter of being flustered or hypocritical or whatever else you may like to shape it as, but a matter of understanding that minor differences in film prints do occur, and then choosing whether or not it's big enough to become concerned about. Everyone will have their own barometer for where they stand on the scope of the difference, but I think it's safe to say this particular instance registers with most people as extremely minor and nearly irrelevant. You are, of course, free to disagree, but you're simply gonna be in the minority.

Have you tried asking Criterion why the word is missing on their Facebook page? I suspect they'll confirm my supposition that it's how the print they sourced their transfer from appears, but maybe they'll surprise us all.

#39 of 48 OFFLINE   24fpssean

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 07:38 AM

From DVDBeaver:

"Probably from the same Svensk Filmindustri source all three editions show only the "Seventh Seal" portion of the title as if someone blacked out the "The" (or "Det"). There is even a space there."

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Not that it matters. The outcome is the same. They all die in the end. Except for the Actor and his wife and kid.

#40 of 48 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 08:02 AM

DVD Beaver is only guessing. Again, have you asked Criterion?

Hell, I'll ask them.