Amazon has up for order a new collection of Rita Hayworth films from Sony
It is to include
Gilda
Cover Girl
and first time releases of
Tonight and every Night
Miss sadie Thompson
Salome
List price is 59.95 with no release date.

Can anyone confirm?

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Yes, this is the same line-u that I informed in another post.

Movies unlimited is listing it for a November release (the same day scheduled for the Film Noir Collections).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

In the Sony Film Noir Thread, Mike Schlesinger said that the two Volumes of Columbia Film Noir and the Rita Hawworth Collection would be released at the same time. I will have to quite buying WA and save for these three collections along with the Four others announced by Sony and I could I forget another couple of Stooges volumes.

Corey

Screenwriter
About time. I've been waiting for this for a while now. Hope they do a Joan Crawford set, too.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

And 3-D! No, probably wait till they come out with a decent 3-D Blu-ray system.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Does anybody know if the DVDs of Gilda and Cover Girl are new or not?

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
[COLOR= #0000ff]Both have been remastered.

Mike S.
[/COLOR]

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Is a second volume in discussion for future release, depending perhaps on sales from this first set, and are there any plans for a new packaging of The Lady From Shanghai?

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator
As I understand it, the November release of the Rita Hayworth Collection has been withdrawn and rescheduled for early 2010. Please correct me if I am wrong. My question, though, is whether the previously announced titles will still be included or whether they will be substitutions? In particular I am interested whether "Cover Girl" is still included and whether "You Were Never Lovelier" will be included in a box set?

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
According to DVDAF, the set has now a February 23rd release date.

And what about "The Lady from Shanghai"? It's on sale at Amazon with several other older Columbia Classics, like Capra's "Platinum Blonde" or "Lost Horizon". Can I buy those titles or should I wait. What would Mike S. suggest? ;)

Charles H

Screenwriter
My guess is that the box is a done deal (i.e., already manufactured ) . The date change is just a marketing device to extricate it from the glut of fourth quarter 2009 Sony releases.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Charles H

My guess is that the box is a done deal (i.e., already manufactured ) . The date change is just a marketing device to extricate it from the glut of fourth quarter 2009 Sony releases.
I think you are right. But still, I would've thought making it available in time for the holidays would be a good idea.

A new transfer of Gilda should be released on Blu-ray, it is a very stunning looking film.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
I have no problem with the February release date, because there are several catalog titles at the end of the year and it's good to have something to look forward in 2010. I was only trying to get some information, whether Sony has some plans for a re-release of "The Lady from Shanghai" in a 2nd Hayworth-set or as part of another Noir set. I don't like to double-dip. Same with the Capra titles, because when they announced their cooperation with the Film Foundation, Capra was mentioned among several other projects, like the Castle set or the Noirs.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Originally Posted by Marcel H.

According to DVDAF, the set has now a February 23rd release date.

And what about "The Lady from Shanghai"? It's on sale at Amazon with several other older Columbia Classics, like Capra's "Platinum Blonde" or "Lost Horizon". Can I buy those titles or should I wait. What would Mike S. suggest? ;)
[COLOR= #0000ff]I have no concrete knowledge, but I think it's likely that SHANGHAI and HORIZON will be remastered somewhere down the line, if you don't mind waiting. PLATINUM probably wouldn't, however, so I'd get that one now.

Mike S.
[/COLOR]

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Originally Posted by cadavra

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]I have no concrete knowledge, but I think it's likely that SHANGHAI and HORIZON will be remastered somewhere down the line, if you don't mind waiting. PLATINUM probably wouldn't, however, so I'd get that one now.

Mike S.
[/COLOR]
I don't mind waiting. :) Thanks for your answer. Keep up the good work.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We are so fortunate that the people at Sony read this forum
and take the time to read your answers.

This comes directly from Grover Crisp over at Sony....

The date on the Hayworth set was moved back to give us more time on the added value materials. That is also one reason the second Noir set was moved back, too. But the end of the year releases were getting crowded, also, so we wanted to allow each release to have its own focus by spreading them out a bit. The titles for Hayworth have not changed, and all are restored and remastered. Miss Sadie Thompson is presented 1.85, not full frame 16x9 (though not in 3-D in this box set). As to whether there will be a second volume, that probably will depend on how well the first one does, so we hope people get the first one. Lady from Shanghai is not currently planned for re-release, but will be the subject of a new restoration in the next year, so maybe at some point it will come out again (especially if people request it). These kinds of questions come up all the time and we are working to create a mechanism on the new Columbia classics-dedicated website (a work-in-progress site) so that fans can easily ask questions and get timely responses. Look for that in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks