Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sony Rita Hayworth Box

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
105 replies to this topic

#1 of 106 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted June 17 2009 - 05:50 AM

Amazon has up for order a new collection of Rita Hayworth films from Sony
It is to include
Gilda
Cover Girl
and first time releases of
Tonight and every Night
Miss sadie Thompson
Salome
List price is 59.95 with no release date.

Can anyone confirm?

#2 of 106 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted June 17 2009 - 05:55 AM

Yes, this is the same line-u that I informed in another post.

Movies unlimited is listing it for a November release (the same day scheduled for the Film Noir Collections).

#3 of 106 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,802 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 17 2009 - 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelPires
Yes, this is the same line-u that I informed in another post.

Movies unlimited is listing it for a November release (the same day scheduled for the Film Noir Collections).

In the Sony Film Noir Thread, Mike Schlesinger said that the two Volumes of Columbia Film Noir and the Rita Hawworth Collection would be released at the same time. I will have to quite buying WA and save for these three collections along with the Four others announced by Sony and I could I forget another couple of Stooges volumes.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4 of 106 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted June 17 2009 - 11:17 AM

Hope SADIE is 16x9.
-J. Theakston

#5 of 106 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted June 17 2009 - 09:35 PM

About time. I've been waiting for this for a while now. Hope they do a Joan Crawford set, too.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#6 of 106 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,356 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted June 18 2009 - 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Theakston
Hope SADIE is 16x9.

And 3-D! No, probably wait till they come out with a decent 3-D Blu-ray system.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#7 of 106 OFFLINE   KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted June 25 2009 - 03:26 AM

Does anybody know if the DVDs of Gilda and Cover Girl are new or not?
Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#8 of 106 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted July 05 2009 - 06:03 AM

Both have been remastered.

Mike S.

#9 of 106 OFFLINE   RandyfromCanada

RandyfromCanada

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted July 05 2009 - 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadavra View Post

Both have been remastered.

Mike S.

Excellent news!

Thank you for giving us the heads-up, Mike...

#10 of 106 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted August 21 2009 - 06:40 AM

Any new bonus material on GILDA or COVER GIRL?
Can't get me enough Rita!

#11 of 106 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 23 2009 - 01:05 AM

Is a second volume in discussion for future release, depending perhaps on sales from this first set, and are there any plans for a new packaging of The Lady From Shanghai?

#12 of 106 OFFLINE   haroldS

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted September 14 2009 - 03:19 AM

As I understand it, the November release of the Rita Hayworth Collection has been withdrawn and rescheduled for early 2010. Please correct me if I am wrong. My question, though, is whether the previously announced titles will still be included or whether they will be substitutions? In particular I am interested whether "Cover Girl" is still included and whether "You Were Never Lovelier" will be included in a box set?

#13 of 106 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted September 20 2009 - 01:17 PM

1) Yes.  2) Don't know.

Mike S.

#14 of 106 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted September 22 2009 - 01:35 AM

According to DVDAF, the set has now a February 23rd release date.

And what about "The Lady from Shanghai"? It's on sale at Amazon with several other older Columbia Classics, like Capra's "Platinum Blonde" or "Lost Horizon". Can I buy those titles or should I wait. What would Mike S. suggest? ;)

Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#15 of 106 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted September 22 2009 - 02:32 AM

My guess is that the box is a done deal (i.e., already manufactured ) .  The date change is just a marketing device to extricate it from the glut of fourth quarter 2009 Sony releases.

Charles Hoyt

#16 of 106 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted September 22 2009 - 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles H 

My guess is that the box is a done deal (i.e., already manufactured ) .  The date change is just a marketing device to extricate it from the glut of fourth quarter 2009 Sony releases.

I think you are right. But still, I would've thought making it available in time for the holidays would be a good idea.

A new transfer of Gilda should be released on Blu-ray, it is a very stunning looking film.

#17 of 106 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted September 22 2009 - 02:49 AM

I have no problem with the February release date, because there are several catalog titles at the end of the year and it's good to have something to look forward in 2010. I was only trying to get some information, whether Sony has some plans for a re-release of "The Lady from Shanghai" in a 2nd Hayworth-set or as part of another Noir set. I don't like to double-dip. Same with the Capra titles, because when they announced their cooperation with the Film Foundation, Capra was mentioned among several other projects, like the Castle set or the Noirs.
Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#18 of 106 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted September 22 2009 - 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel H. View Post

According to DVDAF, the set has now a February 23rd release date.

And what about "The Lady from Shanghai"? It's on sale at Amazon with several other older Columbia Classics, like Capra's "Platinum Blonde" or "Lost Horizon". Can I buy those titles or should I wait. What would Mike S. suggest? ;)

I have no concrete knowledge, but I think it's likely that SHANGHAI and HORIZON will be remastered somewhere down the line, if you don't mind waiting. PLATINUM probably wouldn't, however, so I'd get that one now.

Mike S.

#19 of 106 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted September 22 2009 - 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadavra 

I have no concrete knowledge, but I think it's likely that SHANGHAI and HORIZON will be remastered somewhere down the line, if you don't mind waiting. PLATINUM probably wouldn't, however, so I'd get that one now.

Mike S.
I don't mind waiting. :) Thanks for your answer. Keep up the good work.

My Collection

#20 of 106 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,281 posts

Posted September 22 2009 - 07:37 AM

We are so fortunate that the people at Sony read this forum
and take the time to read your answers.

This comes directly from Grover Crisp over at Sony....

Quote:
The date on the Hayworth set was moved back to give us more time on the added value materials.  That is also one reason the second Noir set was moved back, too.  But the end of the year releases were getting crowded, also, so we wanted to allow each release to have its own focus by spreading them out a bit.  The titles for Hayworth have not changed, and all are restored and remastered.  Miss Sadie Thompson is presented 1.85, not full frame 16x9 (though not in 3-D in this box set).  As to whether there will be a second volume, that probably will depend on how well the first one does, so we hope people get the first one.  Lady from Shanghai is not currently planned for re-release, but will be the subject of a new restoration in the next year, so maybe at some point it will come out again (especially if people request it).   These kinds of questions come up all the time and we are working to create a mechanism on the new Columbia classics-dedicated website (a work-in-progress site) so that fans can easily ask questions and get timely responses.  Look for that in the near future.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

Forum Nav Content I Follow