-

Photo
- - - - -

This thread goes to 11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts

Posted June 16 2009 - 11:42 AM

What? No thread about the new Spinal Tap album yet? I'm shocked and dissappointed!

Dont have it yet, but I'll be grabbing it at Best Buy on the way home (usualy I dont do Worst Buy for my music, but 10 bucks on sale? I'm so there). And of course the stupid X-Box live is down today so I cant get this week's Rock Band download tracks of Tap.

Ah well, I can wait another 24 hours.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted June 16 2009 - 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony J Case
What? No thread about the new Spinal Tap album yet? I'm shocked...

...and stunned...

Posted Image
I don't like SPAM!

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 17 2009 - 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony J Case
And of course the stupid X-Box live is down today so I cant get this week's Rock Band download tracks of Tap.

Are the tracks only available this week or something?
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted June 17 2009 - 05:01 AM

Here's the skinny...The album features new versions of several of the original soundtrack album's songs - , some faithful, some re-imagined ("Sex Farm", "Flower People"), along with a handful of new items (notably recordings of "Back From The Dead", "Warmer Than Hell", and - wait for it - "Jazz Oddyssey").

C.J. Vanston returns on Keyboards, as he has been since "The Return Of Spinal Tap/Break Like The Wind", and Greg Bissonette, having shaved off his 80's punk mullet, is on drums. Vanston is also the album's production overlord.

The "Free DVD" included is a frivolous on-camera roundtable with the boys in character improvising discussing their songs. Some moments are hilarious - in discussing 'Heavy Duty', they compare rock to jazz, where in jazz, the idea is to "play it wrong, and people applaud your mistakes...Miles Davis, putting that thing in the end of his trumpet, so it doesn't sound like a trumpet - what's the point of that??"

I can understand the need to re-record the original songs, since the boys and Rob Reiner don't own them anymore, just like their characters. They're properties of the film company and it's conglomerate owners who just buy things. From a Canadian perspective, it's kind of like Gary Lee and Showdown re-recording "The Rodeo Song" for inclusion on a CD of his second album, or the Powder Blues having to record "Thirsty Ears" (originally issued by Capitol) so it could be included on a CD re-issuing their independent debut LP, later picked up for national distribution by RCA.

The diorama is nice, but it makes the package difficult to keep stored properly have to fold and unfold it. Get your self a full-size 2-cd case to put the CD, DVD and booklet in.

Casual fans may be disappointed, hardcore, a bit also, but it's got some interesting stuff on it worth listening to a few times, then pulling out the OST.
I don't like SPAM!

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted June 17 2009 - 06:15 AM

I wonder why they re-recorded anything, especially if some of them are faithful. According to Harry Shearer, there were several songs that didn't make the cut for the album that will only be available digitally (boo). Unless they figured it was necessary as a selling point.

I want to pick this up but I know I can't wait for it. They were great on Conan though, although I had to shudder at seeing the discs fall out so easily when they were unfolding the diorama. Posted Image

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted June 20 2009 - 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paynter
Greg Bissonette, having shaved off his 80's punk mullet, is on drums.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Greg's a great drummer, I would hate for anything bad to happen to him.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted June 21 2009 - 07:18 AM

Quote:
I can understand the need to re-record the original songs, since the boys and Rob Reiner don't own them anymore, just like their characters. They're properties of the film company and it's conglomerate owners who just buy things. From a Canadian perspective, it's kind of like Gary Lee and Showdown re-recording "The Rodeo Song" for inclusion on a CD of his second album, or the Powder Blues having to record "Thirsty Ears" (originally issued by Capitol) so it could be included on a CD re-issuing their independent debut LP, later picked up for national distribution by RCA.

Yeah and Amazon and iTunes have "Sex Farm" and "(Listen to the) Flower People" done in their original style so re-recording the original album is definitely what they were going for. These rights/royalties issues obviously don't affect "Break Like the Wind" as they didn't re-record any of those songs.

Unfortunately the original album is still much better. I bought it but if I had to advise anyone as to whether or not to buy the whole thing I'd say just download the new songs and the new versions of "Sex Farm" and "Flower People" because the new recordings simply pale in comparison to the originals.

Of 21 songs (19 on the CD and the 2 retailer-exclusive bonus tracks) only 9 are really worth it. Furthermore, one of those 9 songs (the title track) is the same version that was released for free in 2000 when Tapster.com launched as a tie-in to the MGM DVD. The site is down but you can still find that backfromthedead.mp3 online if you look for about two seconds and that was an officially-sanctioned release.

On the other hand, there is the DVD (which I haven't watched) and some places like Amazon.com were selling the physical CD/DVD release for $9.99 so it's still a pretty good value compared to spending $8 on the 8 MP3's that weren't released for free and digging up the free "Back from the Dead" file.

But yeah, even reasonably-priced the whole thing is pretty disappointing.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   sestamuch

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted June 21 2009 - 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyC
I wonder why they re-recorded anything, especially if some of them are faithful. According to Harry Shearer, there were several songs that didn't make the cut for the album that will only be available digitally (boo). Unless they figured it was necessary as a selling point.

I want to pick this up but I know I can't wait for it. They were great on Conan though, although I had to shudder at seeing the discs fall out so easily when they were unfolding the diorama. Posted Image

I liked them on Conan also, it's going to be interesting to see how's this going to unfold.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 09:34 AM

How does one go about actually reviewing a Spinal Tap record?

If it's really good musically (like Rush) then it wouldn't be Spinal Tap.

Let's hope some reviewer calls it a "s&#t sandwich" and then we'll know its worth picking up. Posted Image

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow