-

Photo
- - - - -

Do you have a favorite writing instrument?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,405 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 15 2009 - 06:57 AM

Just kinda curious about other's preference for when they put pen to paper.

A few years ago I fell in love with Tul gel pens--exclusive to OfficeMax. They come in different flavors...but I prefer the black medium retractable pen. They also come in stick, ball-point, blue, etc. They have since added a line of highlighters.

These pens look good, write well and I can't tell you how many I've given away to people who borrow them and admire them. I usually buy them a dozen at a time to be sure I've always got some on hand. They even seem to last for a reasonable amount of time. And, for gel pens, they have a pretty low "smear" tendency while writing in crisp, bold, smooth lines.

Here's an on-line review I found from someone of like mind.

What do you guys use?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,739 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 08:43 AM

Mike,

After many years I have slowly controlled the urge to purchase new pens for the sake of newness when I already have so many varieties just rolling around in a desk drawer. Having said that I have looked at the Tul Gel pens from time to time when in Office Max and I think they look nice. Your post may make be backslide and purchase a few even though I need them like another hole in my head.

- Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,405 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 15 2009 - 09:04 AM

Give 'em a try, Walter. I kinda like having the same pen at my disposal...with the bonus that these feel and write terrific.

You can try out a four-pack for something like $6.xx That's another good thing. While they're not "cheap," they're not overly expensive either. I could get an endless supply of cheap ballpoints from my work...but that doesn't work for me.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   KurtEP

KurtEP

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 10:05 AM

I started using the standard Blue Papermate pens years ago when I was in accounting. I used to use more expensive pens, but they always came up missing while I was visiting clients. No one steals Papermates, and they write acceptably well for me, so I have no reason to change. I really couldn't care less about the prestige factor at this point in time...
Lay down your law books now, they're no damned good -- The Eagles

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 11:01 AM

Zebra Telescopic

It has a textured metal barrel that collapses to make the pen nice and small. I find that this $2 pen looks, feels, and writes better than most expensive pens I've used.
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 11:02 AM

I like the Pilot G-2 finepoint. It is nothing special, but I like the way they write.

#7 of 28 ONLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 750 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 11:04 AM

I've been liking the "Uni Ball Signo" lately -- maybe I was influenced by the claim the pen helps prevent check fraud.

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,146 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 15 2009 - 01:19 PM

Uni-ball - Vision Elite

only pen i use and buy myself.

.8mm
facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 01:54 PM

My favorite is the Pentel RSVP fine point. The fine point is a must. I absolutely can't stand writing with anything (pencil or pen) that doesn't have a sharp, fine point.

Pentel R.S.V.P. Ballpoint Pens, Fine Point, Black, Dozen | Staples®

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,000 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 15 2009 - 02:19 PM

For years, I've carried a cheap Bic Bu2 Grip retractable pen at all times.

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 04:25 PM

When I write, I don't care about the type of pen, but when I start a story I need to use the same pen all the way through or until the pen runs out of ink. Just a little quirk of mine. My wife has heard: "Where the F***k is my PEN?!" more than a few times. Posted Image
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 04:44 PM

My preference:

The Uni-ball® Signo Gel 207 Retractable Roller Ball Pen (Blue). I love these things:

Posted Image

http://www.officedep....Signo-Gel-207/

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted June 16 2009 - 01:17 AM

Any pen I get for free is my favorite. I usually take them from hotels I stay at and from the booths at places like car shows and home improvement shows.

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted June 16 2009 - 02:07 AM

I never leave home without my QuickPad Pro. It's a dedicated word processor, no booting delays, much lighter than a laptop, and 4 AA batteries last over 70 hours.
Posted Image
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,405 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 16 2009 - 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Von Pein
My preference:

The Uni-ball® Signo Gel 207 Retractable Roller Ball Pen (Blue). I love these things:

Dave: Your pen has some very similar characteristics to the pen I referenced in my OP. The exterior design is similar but different. I wonder if there might be any relationship between the two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B Ferris
I've been liking the "Uni Ball Signo" lately -- maybe I was influenced by the claim the pen helps prevent check fraud.

Or maybe they are just extremely popular with the "Dave" crowd... Posted Image

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,771 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted June 16 2009 - 12:26 PM

My favorite writing instrument is the MS Natural keyboard. I can't really type well on a "straight" keyboard anymore.

Posted Image

I'm left-handed and find it's difficult to write with most skinny stick pens. I need something beefy to grab hold of, and a small section with a bell shaped flair really helps. BIC even puts an oversized rubber grip on some of them. Last time I bought pens by the box was the BIC Roller but that was many years ago.

Posted Image
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 16 2009 - 03:04 PM

I'm lefthanded too. (If that means anything.) Posted Image

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,771 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted June 16 2009 - 03:40 PM

I may be left-handed but at least I'm right-eye-dominant. This permits me to be a crack shot with a 1938 Carcano. Posted Image
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,405 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 16 2009 - 04:47 PM

Hmmm. I'm right-handed, but left-eye dominant. (What a crazy mixed-up world!) Posted Image

And about the only time that's ever come into play for me was when I've gone hunting with rifles.

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted June 16 2009 - 05:19 PM

Quote:
Do you have a favorite writing instrument?

No, but ask me how I play the piano!

The answer is: badly

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

Forum Nav Content I Follow