Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: Karloff & Lugosi Horror Classics

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 of 46 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,248 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 01:09 AM

KARLOFF & LUGOSI HORROR CLASSICS
The Walking Dead! Frankenstein-1970!
You’ll Find Out! Zombies on Broadway!

OCTOBER 6 FROM WARNER HOME VIDEO

Burbank, Calif., June 15, 2009 – Horror fans will again be screaming this Halloween when Warner Home Video debuts the Karloff & Lugosi Horror Classics October 6 -- four frightfully fun horror classics all in one collection and on DVD for the first time. Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi, iconic horror actors best known for creating the screen’s original Frankenstein and Dracula characters, star here in other roles in The Walking Dead, Frankenstein-1970, You’ll Find Out and Zombies on Broadway. The 2-disc set will be available for $26.98 SRP.

The Walking Dead (1936)
The Walking Dead is a unique blend of cinematic horror and the classic Warner Bros. gangster stylings. This long-admired cult favorite stars Boris Karloff, who gives an outstanding performance as John Ellman, an ex-con framed for murder who’s sentenced to the electric chair. When Ellman is brought back to life through the miracles of science, his only task is to seek revenge against those responsible for his death. Michael Curtiz (Casablanca) directs this eerie tale.

Special Feature:
--Commentary by historian Greg Mank

Frankenstein-1970 (1958)
Nearly twenty years after his final appearance as the Frankenstein monster in Son of Frankenstein, Boris Karloff returned to the screen in a new film derived from the Mary Shelley story that first catapulted him to stardom. In this 1958 horror classic, Karloff appears in the role of Dr. Victor Frankenstein, a descendent of the original doctor, whose depleted fortune forces him to grant a film crew access to the family castle to shoot a horror flick. It’s not all bad, though, since he now has a supply of fresh body parts ready for harvesting.

Special Feature:
--Commentary by historians Charlotte Austin and Tom Weaver

You’ll Find Out (1940)
Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi and Peter Lorre poke fun at their horror-genre personas in this wacky 1940 RKO mix of music, murder and mirth. The plot finds the trio of horror legends leaving a trail of terror and laughs along the way, as they plan a murder in order to nab a young heiress’ inheritance in a spooky, spoofy haunted house tale. The film was one of several hits of the era featuring the music and merriment of the then popular Kay Kyser and his band. The film’s original song, “I’d Know You Anywhere” was Oscar® nominated.

Zombies on Broadway (1945)
The emphasis is equally spread between horror and hi-jinx in this wacky RKO production that has endeared itself to generations of die-hard Lugosi fans. Here, Bela Lugosi stars as mad scientist Dr. Paul Renault who ends up with more than he bargained for when he encounters
two inept Broadway press agents (Alan Carney and Wally Brown) looking for a real-life zombie to use for a publicity stunt in promoting a new nightclub.

KARLOFF & LUGOSI HORROR CLASSICS
Street Date: October 6, 2009
Collection Pricing: $26.98 SRP

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 46 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,840 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 15 2009 - 01:20 AM

Let me get this right, Warner is actually releasing some classic films onto dvd through the normal retailer route? No way, too many on this forum have stated they're through doing such releases.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 46 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Let me get this right, Warner is actually releasing some classic films onto dvd through the normal retailer route? No way, too many on this forum have stated they're through doing such releases.Posted Image
Crawdaddy

Well, this set is a must-buy for me and I hope there will be more retail releases in autumn and winter otherwise the moaning won't stop. Posted Image
Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#4 of 46 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 01:58 AM

Needless to say, I've been waiting for this release forever! Very pleased to get the official announcement, and I'm glad it's an "official" release. Very elated to see also that the commentaries previously prepared by Greg Mank and Tom Weaver will be included! Posted Image

One question -- I wonder if FRANKENSTEIN-1970 will be presented in its original Widescreen ratio? Even if it isn't it won't be a deal breaker for me in this case, but I was just wondering.

P.S> -- Warner, if you're listening, there's also one more RKO comedy with Bela Lugosi, Brown & Carney, and Lionel Atwill --- 1946's GENIUS AT WORK ... if you can squeeze it in someplace, that is! Otherwise, there's another potential title for your Warner Archives.

#5 of 46 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi

One question -- I wonder if FRANKENSTEIN-1970 will be presented in its original Widescreen ratio? Even if it isn't it won't be a deal breaker for me in this case, but I was just wondering.

According to this year's chat:

Quote:
All remastered and yes FRANKENSTEIN 1970 is 16x9!

Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#6 of 46 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 02:18 AM

Thanks for the confirmation of 16x9!

Too bad we didn't get Peter Lorre in THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS as well (Karloff/Lugosi/Lorre Collection), but maybe Warner's planning a separate Peter Lorre Set down the line.

#7 of 46 OFFLINE   ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 02:26 AM

This is the way I like my classic releases. Thanks, Warner.

#8 of 46 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 02:56 AM

Glad to see this annoucement from WB . I hope they will continue to put out regular restored dvds . I am supporting the Archive program and have been happy with my purchases so far. But i hope they continue both venues in the future. My wallet may suffer, but i will be happy. This is a must buy for me. I like all four films. Walking dead is a good film. I also have a weakness for any horror comedy from the 30s-40s . Plus any film with Karloff as a mad scientist is a film i like to watch.

#9 of 46 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 03:18 AM

There were no classic pre-1960s films for April or May. Warners is still releasing nothing for June, July, August. There's one classic film coming in September. And now this box set timed for Halloween. How does that compare with previous years?

#10 of 46 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 03:28 AM

Excellent news! I'll grab my box set as soon as it is released.
Tks Warner!

#11 of 46 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
No way, too many on this forum have stated they're through doing such releases.Posted ImageCrawdaddy

I have worked on enough contracts so I at least qualified my posts with the word "seems" Posted Image...........and though I am thrilled to see this box set and I will purchase it wouldn't you have thought that since A-List titles with Clark Gable, Lana Turner, Errol Flynn and Gene Kelly ended up in the archives , these films - especially these films - would have been prime archive material?

#12 of 46 OFFLINE   Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 04:24 AM

I'm very pleased to see this announcement and I hope there's more on the way. Four movies and a couple of commentaries for $27 is more like it.
Riding the High Country - My Movie Blog

#13 of 46 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M S
I have worked on enough contracts so I at least qualified my posts with the word "seems" Posted Image...........and though I am thrilled to see this box set and I will purchase it wouldn't you have thought that since A-List titles with Clark Gable, Lana Turner, Errol Flynn and Gene Kelly ended up in the archives , these films - especially these films - would have been prime archive material?

Apparently Warner considers Karloff and Lugosi to be bigger sellers than Clark Gable, Joan Crawford, Lana Turner, Robert Taylor, John Garfield, Cary Grant, Gary Copper, James Cagney, Spencer Tracy, Randolph Scott, or Rosalind Russell. I guess the people buying horror DVDs are a larger group than those that buy the pre-1960s classic Hollywood non-horror stuff.

#14 of 46 OFFLINE   Sergio A

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 05:04 AM

Good news indeed - it's worth getting for THE WALKING DEAD alone in my book, a weird conflation of plots and motifs from Karloff's BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and CHARLIE CHAN AT THE OPERA handled with bags of style by Michael Curtiz - can't wait!

#15 of 46 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M S
though I am thrilled to see this box set and I will purchase it wouldn't you have thought that since A-List titles with Clark Gable, Lana Turner, Errol Flynn and Gene Kelly ended up in the archives , these films - especially these films - would have been prime archive material?

Shhhhhh... don't give 'em any ideas! Posted Image

I also think maybe part of the reason (just guessing) is that these titles have been in the pipeline for a while already, and the commentary tracks were done some time ago. I'm thinking this was already a given.

#16 of 46 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 15 2009 - 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdee28
Apparently Warner considers Karloff and Lugosi to be bigger sellers than Clark Gable, Joan Crawford, Lana Turner, Robert Taylor, John Garfield, Cary Grant, Gary Copper, James Cagney, Spencer Tracy, Randolph Scott, or Rosalind Russell. I guess the people buying horror DVDs are a larger group than those that buy the pre-1960s classic Hollywood non-horror stuff.
Sometimes a genre (horror) is an easier sell than a name (your list), especially when you start getting to titles that are not very well known. Warner had no problem releasing many titles of those actors when the titles were more saturated in the public knowledge.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#17 of 46 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 06:49 AM

Well isn't this a breath of good news?

#18 of 46 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 08:09 AM

This is a must buy. Thanks, WB.

#19 of 46 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 09:41 AM

Here's the cover art from classicflix:
Posted Image
My Collection

#20 of 46 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 10:06 AM

people are always looking for fresh vintage horror in October.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow