Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Will the subwoofer "Suck" the bass out of the main speakers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 1122334

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted June 14 2009 - 02:23 PM

Well, as I posted in another thread about whether or not it's safe to plug a sub into the main speaker terminal, I have well... Plugged a non-powered sub into a main speaker terminal because my amp only uses powered subs. I get pretty good bass, and I thought I could, maybe, keep this sub plugged in there and still use a powered sub. However, I was wondering, if I plugged in a powered sub, will it suck all of the bass out of the other sub and mains?

#2 of 4 SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted June 14 2009 - 10:07 PM

It depends on how you setup your receiver. You basically have two choices:

1 - Set mains to "small" and set a crossover level. Any sound below that frequency level will be sent to the sub.

2 - Set mains to "large." This will send some of the low frequency information to both the mains and the sub. The primary issue with this approach is that you can run into significant issues with the low frequency waves canceling each other out.

#3 of 4 1122334

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted June 14 2009 - 11:18 PM

How do you set mains to "small" or "large" and how do you set the crossover level.

Yamaha RX-V620

#4 of 4 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1122334
How do you set mains to "small" or "large" and how do you set the crossover level.

Yamaha RX-V620

This is a basic function that every owner should learn how to do. But since not all of us are familiar with that particular model, in order to answer your question, most of us would have to look up the receiver's manual online, then search for the section on setting up speakers as large or small, then retype that information here for you to follow, which is a lot of work. I suggest that reading the manual yourself will be an easier exercise for all involved, and would also open you up to all sorts of other features of your unit.