What's new

Setting up DVD player with HD Plasma TV and Cable via PVR (1 Viewer)

punman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dwayne
Setting up DVD player with HD Plasma TV and Cable
I have my TV hooked up to my Cable/PVR box via an HDMI cable.
I have my old DVD player with component cables running from player to the TV.
I have audio cables running from the DVD player and from the cable box to my 5.1 receiver (PVR cannot process audio via HDMI).
All is working fine but I am always using the TV remote or cable remote control to switch the display from DVD setting to TV setting and back which kind of a pain. Is there anyway of configuring this so I can just pop in a DVD and have the TV know to display it without me having to change the setting on the TV? Then when I turn off the DVD player, the TV picture comes back on? My harmon/kardon AVR 146 has inputs for component and inputs/outputs for HDMI.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Not really, using component and a mix of component/HDMI. Some of the newer DVD/Blu-ray players with HDMI-CEC & a newer TV can automatically switch the TV inputs when the DVD turns on. But in my experience those features are sometimes a bit flaky.

The best way is to get a good universal remote, like one of the Logitech Harmony models. They have buttons like "watch movie", and "watch TV". Programmed correctly, when you hit the "watch movie", it will power on the DVD, TV, receiver, and switch everything to the right input. Then if you hit "watch TV" it will switch everything to the right settings for the cable box (and optionally turn off the DVD, depending on how you program it). And when you hit "off", it remembers everything you used & turns them off.

Another way is just use component video for everything, which means you only have to switch sources on the receiver. But I still prefer universal remote, then you don't have to juggle 4 remotes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks