Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

My new Pioneer Elite SC-05 review

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted June 13 2009 - 10:20 PM

I received mine Tuesday. I was able to easily peel off the front labels. As you know it is LARGE! I had planned & did cut the back out of my shelf to gain an extra 2" depth. It does get warm but so did my VSX D912. The SC 05 has a fan on the left side.
I replaced a Pioneer VSX D912 with no HDMI. I was very impressed with the MCACC setup, very much more detailed than my old AVR. I did need to change the Front speakers to small so I could have the Sub on for stereo too. I set the Xover at 80 -- Was forced to use 100Hz with my old AVR. 80 is much better since my Fronts can go to 70 according to the specs. I am quite impressed with the sound quality. I wasn't sure I would be able to tell the difference. THere is much more dynamic range & that surprised me. I didn't realize that was a possibility. From very quiet dialog or background sounds to thunderous explosions. I am also hearing stuff I don't THINK I heard before in the same movies. Ambient noises. One thing is I need to turn the volume higher than I expected. On my old AVR which went to 0 as loudest setting, I watched TV at -25 & movies at -15. For CDs in a CD player -30 or -35. With the SC-05 I need to go to -10 for TV & movies (DVD or BD) & -15 for CDs. I haver gone as loud as -7.5 for TV or movies. (It also goes by ½ dB increments.) It does go to +12 but, -7.5 is as loud as I have needed. My test was Incredible Hulk BD which had caused my old AVR to overload/shut down. No problems with this beast!
I don’t know if this is due to class D or ICE or the +12 scale but, I absolutely do not believe you can take two AVRS & set both to the same dB & claim they are equally loud as a sales person at Ultimate Electronics told me when I compared two AVRs. I’m going to play around with the stereo options more later. After the 1st day of use I reprogrammed my Harmony 890 remote so it works very easily now. I didn’t like scrolling through so many input choices to find the correct one for BD, TV, etc.

I love having the display tell me exactly what the audio is so changing TV stations I know which are stereo & which are Dolby 5.1. Also, I have noticed some DVDs & BDs have the default Audio less than the “best” I can see immediately what is selected w/o having to go into the BD menu if say, I want DTS vs, DD.

I do not like the fact that unlike my old Pioneer AVR, it will not remember speaker settings (A+B) for a specific input. I called Tech support & they said it does not. On my old AVR I had CD input always use A+B speakers & everything else just “A” speakers. Later I will see if I can make the Harmony remote force this since I got the speaker settings code from Pioneer. (I can program virtually any button press either as I turn on or turn off a device. Including volume)

Also you can have 5.1 & SPeaker B or 7.1 & no speaker B which stunned me. My much cheaper VSX D912 had 7.1 + speaker B terminals. I have no plans for 7.1 but for $1800.00 MSRP this is surprising. Have no use for zones but it has zone 2 & zone 3 as well. I guess you cannot wire speakers for Zone 2 or 3?? I thought different zones were so the same AVR can power completely different set ups in different rooms so they can play different things; movie in main room, TV in bed room & music in other BR? I didn’t even read that section of the manual.

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Thorerik

Thorerik

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted June 17 2009 - 09:32 AM

I have an SC-05 too. I used the Zone 2 & 3 output to feed a UHF TV modulators. Along with the wireless remote extenders I can watch a movie in the shop.

I wasn't too happy about the upconversion from component (DVD) to HDMI. Lots of jaggies. I haven't figured out how to get the component output through to the TV. I was hoping to have just one HDMI line to the TV to make it simple for others in the house to operate.

Definitely has lots of power and very clean. Remote is goofy. I like the older Pioneer remotes that had groups of buttons for each component. Lots of buttons but easy to operate not having to remember to flip switches.

Erik

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,832 posts

Posted June 17 2009 - 10:26 AM

Out of the box, I was able to have the SD/480 sources fed with composite video feeds upconverted through HDMI, so I do only have 1 HDMI connection from my SC-05 to the TV. I was also able to pass the component video from my cable HDTV box through the SC-05 and send it through the HDMI cable feeding the TV.

I made sure all the different inputs (with the different input types) were used only once so the receiver would have sources with the same "name" but not connected with 2 different inputs (composite video, component video or HDMI), since that might confuse the receiver if you haven't fiddled with the re-assigning of inputs (which I haven't done yet).
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted June 17 2009 - 02:20 PM

Quote:
My much cheaper VSX D912 had 7.1 + speaker B terminals.
I've never owned a receiver with a digital power amp, so the following is second-hand info.

Based on what others have said here and elsewhere, compared to traditonal class A/B amplifier designs, many digital amps don't like very low impedance loads, and when two pairs of speakers are connected in parallel (which is what better receivers do rather than in series) when A+B is chosen if all those speakers were rated at 6 ohms, then the amp would "see" a 3 ohm load for each channel. Ouch!

Quote:
Have no use for zones but it has zone 2 & zone 3 as well. I guess you cannot wire speakers for Zone 2 or 3??
I bet it has phono jacks for additional amplifiers, amps that will then power speakers in those other zones. Pioneer sells the Elite A-35 integrated amp for $200 - respected in many stereo music circles BTW and not just because it includes a phono input - that looks like it can be used for that purpose: "Amp Mode provides seemless integration into existing A/V system" and a power amp that is specifically made for such a purpose: "2 Channel Power Amplifier for Multi-Room / EX Amplification".

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,294 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 07:50 AM

Ok I know this thread is a few years old but I just picked up a used Pioneer Elite SC05 for $765! I hope this was not a huge mistake as far as money goes? Did I get a good deal? Cosmetically it is clean and it is replacing a old Yamaha RX-V995. Just would like some input if you think I got a good deal or not????
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,719 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 12 2012 - 10:34 AM

Sorry Dave. I wouldn't call it a mistake but you probably could have done better. I bought a good as new (with box, packing material and all acc) SC-27 off Audiogon for $600 shipped about two months ago. I'm using it with a BDP-05 BR player and a DV58av universal dvd player. Very nice combination. I recently bought an Emotiva USP-1 stereo processor and am now waiting for a re-stock of the UMC-1 7.1 processor (late March?) for $499 (which will be discontinued for a new model shortly there-after me thinks) and will probably be selling the SC-27, if the UMC-1 is anywhere near as good as the USP-1 is. Wish I knew were about to pull the trigger. I'd have sold you the 27 for only $750! ;) Anyway, you bought t it. Now just enjoy it and forget about the cost. Anything I can help you with just ask. I also have an Elite 23-vsx in another room and an 03 laying around somewhere. Pioneers are a tweakers delight. Tons of things to play with. Not as musical as a Marantz or a Denon but crystal clear sound. Enjoy.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,294 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 04:47 PM

I have missed out on a few deals because I ether didn't have the cash or waited to long. Oh well I guess I will try to learn to hold off and do some research next time. I thought I was getting a really good deal but it still sounds good. Thanks for the feedback, I guess I should have waited instead of pulling the trigger so fast and I should have known better to get it from a pawn shop! But water under the bridge and I am enjoying tweaking the settings on it and setting it up with my gear. I defiantly need to upgrade my 1st gen blu-ray player to something that loads faster and also can bitstream to the Pioneer Elite SC05. The current blu-ray doesn't decode DTS-HD Master Audio and doesn't bit stream Dolby True HD ether. Also I need a sub woofer for movies! I know it is to late but just wondering what the SC27 has over the SC05? Can I play MP3's off a flash drive off the front panel of the 05? If you have any suggestions for a good but not overly pricy bluray that will bit stream everything to the SC-05 please let me know. Also if you have any suggestions for a good performing sub that is reasonable with strong low bass. My Yamaha RX-V995 will hopefully end up being hooked up to my gaming pc and I will need to pick up some speakers and a small sub. I might just do a 2.1 system for the pc after I get the blu-ray and subwoofer for the Pioneer SC05. I also need to re-wire the rear speakers to 7.1 since I was using dual speakers for my former 5.1 set up. [ATTACHMENT=244]IMG_1803.JPG (3,140k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,719 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 13 2012 - 01:27 PM

I have missed out on a few deals because I ether didn't have the cash or waited to long. Oh well I guess I will try to learn to hold off and do some research next time. I thought I was getting a really good deal but it still sounds good. Thanks for the feedback, I guess I should have waited instead of pulling the trigger so fast and I should have known better to get it from a pawn shop! But water under the bridge and I am enjoying tweaking the settings on it and setting it up with my gear. I defiantly need to upgrade my 1st gen blu-ray player to something that loads faster and also can bitstream to the Pioneer Elite SC05. The current blu-ray doesn't decode DTS-HD Master Audio and doesn't bit stream Dolby True HD ether. Also I need a sub woofer for movies! I know it is to late but just wondering what the SC27 has over the SC05? Can I play MP3's off a flash drive off the front panel of the 05? If you have any suggestions for a good but not overly pricy bluray that will bit stream everything to the SC-05 please let me know. Also if you have any suggestions for a good performing sub that is reasonable with strong low bass. My Yamaha RX-V995 will hopefully end up being hooked up to my gaming pc and I will need to pick up some speakers and a small sub. I might just do a 2.1 system for the pc after I get the blu-ray and subwoofer for the Pioneer SC05. I also need to re-wire the rear speakers to 7.1 since I was using dual speakers for my former 5.1 set up. [ATTACHMENT=244]IMG_1803.JPG (3,140k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

A BluRay player that doesn't decode or bitstream the new codecs? Are you sure? :) What's the make and model number? There reallt isn't very much difference between the 05 and the 27. The 27 is a step up (and not a very big step) and a year newer, that's about it. The amp section in the 07 is supposed to be just a little bit better then the 05 but I doubt you would notice it. Otherwise it's things like THX certification, video upgrade to the Zone 2, sampling rate converter, a little bit better remote and a couple of more digital inputs. Here's a link to the 27 brochure. The items in bold are upgrades to the 25. http://www.pioneerel...Files/SC-27.pdf Here's the brochures for the 05 http://www.pioneerel...Files/SC-05.pdf and 07 http://www.pioneerel...Files/SC-07.pdf Subwoofers: About $115 shippd http://www.pioneerel...Files/SC-07.pdf Under $200 http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=303-432 Under $300 http://www.lavasubs...._subwoofer.html with HTF discount
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,294 posts

Posted March 17 2012 - 07:35 PM

My current 1st gen Sony BDP-S300 does not bit stream. And until there was a firmware update the player didn't originally decode Dolby True HD ether. http://store.sony.co...#specifications Am looking at upgrading it to a Denon DBP-1611UD Universal Bluray Player And not sure on what subwoofer to get, am still researching! Am currently looking for a Tannoy dealer in the LA area!

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,294 posts

Posted July 03 2012 - 04:33 PM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ My Pioneer Elite SC05 7.1 Receiver http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ So far everything is great with my SC05. The only thing I am not crazy about is playing MP3's through it! I could hook up a Ethernet cable to stream music from my pc but I am debating if I am going to do this or not?

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,294 posts

Posted July 07 2012 - 04:52 PM

I picked up the Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 12" Powered Subwoofer for $249 new

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,294 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 12:17 PM

Has anyone had issues playing music off a usb flash drive on the SC-05? I have played music on 3-4 different occasions and now after I deleted music from the drive and placed different music on it. I can not get the music to play doing the same thing I have done before. I do not even see USB selection that I can swear I saw before, this is slightly frustrating! Is it possible I deleted a necessary file on the usb drive even though only music was highlighted and deleted?

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,294 posts

Posted August 20 2012 - 03:12 PM

Problem solved about 4 days after I posted. Funny how simple it was, basically formating the flash drive did the trick. :rolleyes:

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,294 posts

Posted August 20 2012 - 03:17 PM

So far I am very happy with my Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver and am looking forward to upgrading my center channel and rear channel speakers in the near future. Both music and movies sound great and it is just a shame that high resolution music never took off and that the average consumer has trapped us into freakin MP'3s for now!

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,719 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted August 21 2012 - 09:14 AM

Glad to hear you're happy with the 05 Dave. I went to the california Audio Show in S.S.F. a few weeks ago and stumbled accross Burwell and Sons speakers. They had one of the best sounding speakers I heard while I was there. Paterned after the old AR horn speakers like the ones you have they were pretty remarkable. The Horns were hand-made from Walnut. http://www.burwellsp....com/#!products Maybe they can be of some help with your center channel. Probably mucho $$$ though. Last Saturday I sold my set of Revel Concerto's and the guy who bought them used music off his phone to audition them. I never heard such nice speakers sound so bad. If he had let me play some of my DVD-Audio discs I probably could have charged more for the speakers because they would have sounded so much better. Oh well.

Forum Nav Content I Follow