Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How do I hook up my subwoofer?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   1122334

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted June 13 2009 - 02:30 PM

I bought a Yamaha RX-V620 5.1 home audio receiver. Later on, I then bought a Toshiba speaker system which came with 2 mains, a center, to rears, and a subwoofer. I have successfully hooked up the speakers, and they sound great. However, the only output jack for a subwoofer available on the receiver is some sort of single jack like maybe a coaxial speaker cable or something. However, my subwoofer doesn't not connect this way. It connects to a amplifier/receiver through the red and black (negative and positive) cables. How am I supposed to hook my subwoofer up if there's only a single coaxial jack for the wub on the amp by my sub hooks up with the neg/pos cables?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   1122334

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted June 13 2009 - 02:38 PM

I bought a Yamaha RX-V620 5.1 home audio receiver. Later on, I then bought a Toshiba speaker system which came with 2 mains, a center, to rears, and a subwoofer. I have successfully hooked up the speakers, and they sound great. However, the only output jack for a subwoofer available on the receiver is some sort of single jack like maybe a coaxial speaker cable or something. However, my subwoofer doesn't not connect this way. It connects to a amplifier/receiver through the red and black (negative and positive) cables. How am I supposed to hook my subwoofer up if there's only a single coaxial jack for the wub on the amp by my sub hooks up with the neg/pos cables?

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   1122334

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted June 13 2009 - 02:43 PM

So, I bought a Yamaha RX-V620 5.1 amplifier. I then bought a Toshiba speaker system with 2 mains, a center, two rears, and a subwoofer. I hooked the speakers up, and they sound great. However, I the subwoofer itself has two cables that come out of the back that are supposed to go into the amp. A red and a black (a positive and a negative). My amp doesn't accept that kind of sub hookup. The sub output on the amp is a single jack... Like maybe a single coaxial jack? I don't know. But I can't hook up my subwoofer. Or at least, I don't know how. Can someone PLEASE help me?

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   MaxL

MaxL

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted June 13 2009 - 05:36 PM

does the sub have any outputs or only the the speaker level inputs?
HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   1122334

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted June 13 2009 - 06:48 PM

It only has the speaker level inputs/outputs. No other outputs. Do I have to use a powered sub? Or can I somehow convert? Of course, if I can somehow convert the speaker level cables into a single RCA, then that would suggest that 100 Watts of electricity along with the sound signals are traveling through the RCA port. Is that possible?

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

• 1,573 posts

Posted June 14 2009 - 02:59 AM

The receiver if connecting to the sub out is designed to use a powered sub. The sub out cannot power a sub, you'd have to hook up a separate amp.

What you can do in some cases is wire the sub to the front channel speaker outs, draw power from the front channels. At least a moderate volumes.

Post the model # of the Toshiba system/sub, and a link to the manual if you can find it online. Does it have any dials/settings, power, or just speaker terminals?

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   1122334

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted June 14 2009 - 06:31 AM

The sub only has the speaker terminals. For now, I did what you suggested and hooked it up to a main.

In the mean time, I'll try to find a powered sub.

The model number for the Toshiba system is: sd-c67htsu

I bought the speakers, as Toshiba recalled all of the receivers that came with this model home theater system.

http://www.tacp.tosh....c67ht_om_e.pdf

^
l
l
l

Manual