What's new

How do I hook up my subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Grip
Real Name
Jonathan
I bought a Yamaha RX-V620 5.1 home audio receiver. Later on, I then bought a Toshiba speaker system which came with 2 mains, a center, to rears, and a subwoofer. I have successfully hooked up the speakers, and they sound great. However, the only output jack for a subwoofer available on the receiver is some sort of single jack like maybe a coaxial speaker cable or something. However, my subwoofer doesn't not connect this way. It connects to a amplifier/receiver through the red and black (negative and positive) cables. How am I supposed to hook my subwoofer up if there's only a single coaxial jack for the wub on the amp by my sub hooks up with the neg/pos cables?

Grip
Real Name
Jonathan
I bought a Yamaha RX-V620 5.1 home audio receiver. Later on, I then bought a Toshiba speaker system which came with 2 mains, a center, to rears, and a subwoofer. I have successfully hooked up the speakers, and they sound great. However, the only output jack for a subwoofer available on the receiver is some sort of single jack like maybe a coaxial speaker cable or something. However, my subwoofer doesn't not connect this way. It connects to a amplifier/receiver through the red and black (negative and positive) cables. How am I supposed to hook my subwoofer up if there's only a single coaxial jack for the wub on the amp by my sub hooks up with the neg/pos cables?

Grip
Real Name
Jonathan
So, I bought a Yamaha RX-V620 5.1 amplifier. I then bought a Toshiba speaker system with 2 mains, a center, two rears, and a subwoofer. I hooked the speakers up, and they sound great. However, I the subwoofer itself has two cables that come out of the back that are supposed to go into the amp. A red and a black (a positive and a negative). My amp doesn't accept that kind of sub hookup. The sub output on the amp is a single jack... Like maybe a single coaxial jack? I don't know. But I can't hook up my subwoofer. Or at least, I don't know how. Can someone PLEASE help me?

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
does the sub have any outputs or only the the speaker level inputs?

Grip
Real Name
Jonathan
It only has the speaker level inputs/outputs. No other outputs. Do I have to use a powered sub? Or can I somehow convert? Of course, if I can somehow convert the speaker level cables into a single RCA, then that would suggest that 100 Watts of electricity along with the sound signals are traveling through the RCA port. Is that possible?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
The receiver if connecting to the sub out is designed to use a powered sub. The sub out cannot power a sub, you'd have to hook up a separate amp.

What you can do in some cases is wire the sub to the front channel speaker outs, draw power from the front channels. At least a moderate volumes.

Post the model # of the Toshiba system/sub, and a link to the manual if you can find it online. Does it have any dials/settings, power, or just speaker terminals?

Grip
Real Name
Jonathan
The sub only has the speaker terminals. For now, I did what you suggested and hooked it up to a main.

In the mean time, I'll try to find a powered sub.

The model number for the Toshiba system is: sd-c67htsu

I bought the speakers, as Toshiba recalled all of the receivers that came with this model home theater system.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...c67ht_om_e.pdf

^
l
l
l

Manual

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks