HD Video Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
Audio: English Dolby TrueHD 5.1; English, Spanish, French Mono Dolby Digital
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese; English SDH+
Time: 95 minutes
Disc Format: 1 SS/DL BD
Case Style: Keep case
Theatrical Release Date: 1982
Blu-ray Release Date: June 16, 2009

By the time director Steve Miner and Paramount decided to make a third Friday the 13th picture, the franchise had enjoyed enough success that there was the idea to break away from the similar plots of the first two pictures and try something different. The original plot, having to do with Jason and a mental asylum was quickly jettisoned to make way for what became the third movie, another rehash of the original story. Realizing the power of the third dimension, and perhaps feeling the need to use a gimmick to re-interest viewers, Friday the 13th Part 3 was filmed and shown in 3-D.

This one isn’t too different than the other two: revenge oriented maniac Jason Vorhees (this time played by Richard Brooker) is now chasing some vacationing kids and adults around a farm and the surrounding woods and barn. There’s really not too much exposition needed for the already anemic plot, so it basically degenerates into 95 minutes of a cat and mouse game between Jason and his victims. The main female, Chris (Dana Kimmel) survived a past attack from Jason and she is still haunted by it, yet she seems surprised when Jason actually shows up murderous as ever (maybe the clever disguise of a hockey mask threw her). The characters are just as dumb and shallow as ever, a point that is only driven home harder by the horrid performances by the actors. It’s almost as if the plot and the actors are trying to make fun of themselves. Comic relief comes in the form of Shelly (Larry Zerner), a nerdy horror make-up artist wannabe and a couple of hippie pot heads, the latter of which delivers some of the most fun in the movie (the popcorn scene is gold). The picture ends with a call back to the ending of the original film and one wonders what kind of impact this trilogy would have had if it was left alone after the third film

On that same visceral level I noted in the review for Friday the 13th Part 2, Friday the 13th Part 3 does give Jason some more screen time allowing him now to really put it to his victims showing us all the gory details in 3-D. Sure the 3-D is really nothing more than a gimmick, but in a movie like this it simply can’t hurt it. All kinds of tools, animals and other items come right out of the screen at you enhancing the you are feel of the picture and amping up the intensity of Jason’s assault. It’s camp at its finest, so don’t think too much about it and enjoy it while it lasts.

Note: both the 3-D and the 2-D version is on the disc.

Movie: **.5/*****

Video:
Note: I am watching this title using a Marantz VP 11-S1 DLP projector, which has a native resolution of 1080p. I am using a Sony Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player while a Denon 3808CI does the switching and pass through of the video signal. I am utilizing the HDMI capabilities of each piece of equipment.

The Blu-Ray disc is encoded in the MPEG-4 AVC codec at 1080p with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1. I watched the movie in 3-D and then went back and looked at portions of the 2-D version for evaluation of the image. Black levels are very good staying nice and deep with some detail. Grain is evident in these numerous scenes, reminding you that this is film and while I usually don’t mind it, it was a contributing factor to a degraded image. Dirt and other print damage is evident and there is a very mild amount of edge enhancement. Color fidelity is very good; flesh tones are accurate as well. Sharpness is way off here with many edges looking fuzzy and indistinct. I could also see some color flaring around background items making it look like my old CRT when the convergence would drift. Detail was fair also, but between the grain and weak edges it makes for a less than adequate looking image. I am wondering if these problems may be a result of how the thing was filmed for 3-D. Perhaps HTF’s members can shed some light on this for me.

The 3-D is pretty good here, showing excellent dimensionality at times, and other times it comes off flat and not terribly engaging. Some of the barn scenes when Jason is chasing the biker gang looks great and you’ll be ducking a couple times to avoid Jason’s thrusting pitchfork. The interiors tend to look better maybe due to the more controlled filming environments. Color fidelity is difficult to judge as the reds and blues used to create the 3-D effect overpower the rest of the image. Based on the problems I had with the 2-D version, this is the preferred viewing choice. And it’s much more fun in 3-D!

Video: **/*****

Audio:
The 5.1 Dolby TrueHD soundtrack was attained by the HDMI connection of the PS3 to the Denon 3808CI.

The Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track has a good soundstage even though the surrounds are not used too much. When they are used, the surrounds convey some very nice discreet effects but also serve to place us more firmly in the center of the action. The soundtrack remains firmly planted in the highs and mids and the LFE’s engaging slightly when the music comes up prior to a kill scene. The overall fidelity of the soundtrack is good and crisp. Panning effects are heard and used to good effect. ADR is noticed at times, but it is not obtrusive. The soundtrack is free of any debris or other distortions.

Audio: ***.5/*****

Bonus Material: all items are in HD unless otherwise noted.

Fresh Cuts: 3D Terror (12:52): Peter Bracke joins us again to discuss how the film came about and why 3D was implemented. He mentions an original idea for the story, but it seems the gimmick won out over what could have been an interesting plot. We also get to see some of the tech that went into shooting the 3D and the stunts and make-up and some information on the different endings.

Legacy of the Mask (9:33): Bracke discusses the evolution of Jason’s look, both his face and his various masks. There is an interesting discussion about the hockey mask too.

Slasher Films: Going for the Jugular (7:09): Various contributors discuss the appeal of slasher films.

Lost Tales from Camp Blood - Part III (4:49): a continuation of the segment on the first Friday the 13th discs.

Original Theatrical Trailer.

Bonus Material: **.5/*****

Conclusions:
The 3-D in this picture holds your attention far more than the slim plot and weak, annoying characters. Jason is a little more aggressive here and in the end that’s all that really matters in these pictures. The disc gives us a satisfactory viewing experience with some minor but interesting extras.
ISO "Lost" ARG prints from Kevin Tong, Olly Moss, Eric Tan and Methane Studios.  PM me if you want to sell!

All reviews done on a Marantz VP11S1 1080p DLP projector.

Displays professionally calibrated by Gregg Loewen of Lion AV.

#2 of 23 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 13 2009 - 02:29 PM

It's nice to see some exclusive extras on this release. Too bad that they didn't bring the commentary over from the boxset though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWahlquist
...revenge oriented maniac Jason Vorhees...
That phrase made me laugh. Thanks for the review!

#3 of 23 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• PipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted June 13 2009 - 04:14 PM

F13 3-D was shot in 3-Depix, a variation on the SpaceVision 3-D format. 3-Depix was developed for the 3-D film Comin' At Ya, and used a lens configuration that exposed both the left and right eye images onto the same strip of film in an over/under fashion, yielding a usable aspect ratio of 2.35:1. Think of it as a hybrid of the original two-colour Technicolor process and Techniscope. Given the physical limitations of such a process (the image would have to pass through at least a couple of prisms before hitting the film) and the amount by which the light would be diluted both in filming and projection, it's no wonder sharpness would be way off. As for issues with the 3-D itself, another forum member posted in the SD review thread indicating that the L/R alignment was off (red/blue fringing, which is where the 3-D effect is derived in this transfer, being displaced vertically instead of horizontally in some scenes). He even went into photoshop and corrected a few frames, which can be seen here:
http://www.hometheat....ml#post3508124

I doubt if Paramount went back and crafted a new master in the interim.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#4 of 23 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,994 posts

Posted June 13 2009 - 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
It's nice to see some exclusive extras on this release. Too bad that they didn't bring the commentary over from the boxset though.

I hate having to own different versions of things just to get "all of it". I now have to hold onto my old boxset version of PART 3 just to have the commentary track?? I maintain that a Blu-ray disc should be the ULTIMATE, the last word, and that includes having the most/all extras.

#5 of 23 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,077 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted June 14 2009 - 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
I hate having to own different versions of things just to get "all of it". I now have to hold onto my old boxset version of PART 3 just to have the commentary track?? I maintain that a Blu-ray disc should be the ULTIMATE, the last word, and that includes having the most/all extras.

There's too much money to make with a re-release. We've had three releases on SD so I'm sure we'll get at least two on Blu and the commentary will give fans a reason to buy the second release.

I was hoping someone would be running a deal on the sequels or the sequels/remake but that doesn't appear to be the case anywhere.

I'm MUCH more interested in the SEs of parts 4 and 5, which are being released as well but only on SD at this time. Those discs appear to be packed with good stuff.

#6 of 23 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted June 14 2009 - 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott
I'm MUCH more interested in the SEs of parts 4 and 5, which are being released as well but only on SD at this time. Those discs appear to be packed with good stuff.
I want those too but I'm waiting for the Blu-rays. I'd be shocked if they aren't out by the end of September or early October so I'll impatiently wait.

#7 of 23 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,994 posts

Posted June 14 2009 - 06:39 AM

Same here. No way will I be buying certain SDs anymore for titles where it's inevitable they'll make it to Blu-ray (like all the F13 sequels). This is now the day and age of High Definition.

#8 of 23 Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted June 14 2009 - 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
Same here. No way will I be buying certain SDs anymore for titles where it's inevitable they'll make it to Blu-ray (like all the F13 sequels). This is now the day and age of High Definition.

Amen.
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#9 of 23 GregK

GregK

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted June 14 2009 - 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H
F13 3-D was shot in 3-Depix, a variation on the SpaceVision 3-D format. 3-Depix was developed for the 3-D film Comin' At Ya, and used a lens configuration that exposed both the left and right eye images onto the same strip of film in an over/under fashion, yielding a usable aspect ratio of 2.35:1. Think of it as a hybrid of the original two-colour Technicolor process and Techniscope. Given the physical limitations of such a process (the image would have to pass through at least a couple of prisms before hitting the film) and the amount by which the light would be diluted both in filming and projection, it's no wonder sharpness would be way off. .

You pretty much nailed it. With the exception of "Spacehunter", all of the 1980's 3-D featues were shot in what's called single strip 3-D. Either one scope image is placed on top of another, or, two non-scope images placed side by side. For the latter, typically anamorphic compression was used. Along with the prism issues mentioned by Stephen, both images were placed in the space of what normally holds one 2-D image. And to save money, they were even shot this way. Unlike the 1950's 3-D feature titles which were all shot in uncompromised twin 35mm, the end quality of the 1980's 3D features, even when shown in 2D, has the quality roughly that of 16mm. That's also why the 2D versions of Jaws III Amityville III on DVD look subpar. But thankfully 35mm single strip 3-D is now a dead stick. Posted Image

Quote:
As for issues with the 3-D itself, another forum member posted in the SD review thread indicating that the L/R alignment was off (red/blue fringing, which is where the 3-D effect is derived in this transfer, being displaced vertically instead of horizontally in some scenes). He even went into photoshop and corrected a few frames, which can be seen here:

You're correct: Sadly, they did not.

#10 of 23 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,077 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted June 14 2009 - 11:20 AM

I sold my SD version of part 3 for $10 on Ebay so I'll probably take that and buy the SE of part 4. I can always resell it later and upgrade to the Blu. I'll probably hold off buy part 3 again unless I can get it for cheap because I really don't see myself watching it again anytime soon.

#11 of 23 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted June 17 2009 - 01:41 AM

I watched this (and Part 2) last night and I'm pretty happy with them. They aren't demo material but they're both on par with the original movie's Blu-ray.

I'm very familiar with this movie but I was surprised to see how overly art directed Part 3 is. It's like the production designer had one idea about something a character would like and he just made everything relate to that. For example, Harold has trains and train related objects everywhere (a 'Look Out For The Locomotive' sign in the backyard, a 'Great Train Robbery' poster in his store, his fish are named Lionel and H+O, there's a model train in the fish tank, there's train pictures and model trains all the over wall in his store) and there's an Asian influence in the decoration of Chris' house (there's lots of Buddhas all over and Japanese style decoration and art). Clearly, I'm watching too closely. Posted Image

#12 of 23 MattFini

MattFini

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted June 17 2009 - 05:51 AM

Never noticed that, Travis. Very cool. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I haven't watched part 3's Blu-ray yet, but I did sample it. It looks better than any previous dvd incarnation and the 3-D is a noticable step up from the SD version released a few months back.

I agree with Travis in that there's aren't reference material, but they both look very nice (and grainy). I'm very happy to have these and I can't wait for 4-6!
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#13 of 23 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Advanced Member

• 2,498 posts

Posted June 18 2009 - 06:15 AM

The "clever disguise of a hockey mask"?????

Much laughing going on over here. That was a great way to phrase it.

In the His Name Was Jason DVD, there was a great little section where they had a bunch of actors and fans giving helpful tips to anyone stupid enough to go to Camp Crystal Lake after all these movies telling you how bad of a time you're likely to have. All the great ideas were in there: "Don't go UP the stairs, don't go DOWN the stairs, don't try to start your car because it won't, etc." But my favorite is still Kane Hodder (who played Jason in a few of the later ones) saying "And DON'T EVER say (with a sigh) 'It's Over', because it's NOT".

#14 of 23 Tom M

Tom M

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted June 21 2009 - 03:16 AM

Quote:
As for issues with the 3-D itself, another forum member posted in the SD review thread indicating that the L/R alignment was off (red/blue fringing, which is where the 3-D effect is derived in this transfer, being displaced vertically instead of horizontally in some scenes). He even went into photoshop and corrected a few frames, which can be seen here:

No, but it seems clear to me that Paramount DID correct the aliginment errors. The Blu-Ray has almost none of the problems of the SD-DVD. There is still some ghosting here and there but even then it's to a much less degree than the SD-DVD. The PQ is very clear throughout and the 3-D really works.

In fact, I was very surprised at how much better the overall effect is. For me, it was a night and day difference. Well worth the upgrade. Just wish they had done the main titles in 3-D as well as they were a highlight of the field sequential version.
My crummy Deviant Art page. Read my epic poem The Pirate's Tale written in tribute to the Ozy & Millie comic strip.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

#15 of 23 ahollis

ahollis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 21 2009 - 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M
No, but it seems clear to me that Paramount DID correct the aliginment errors. The Blu-Ray has almost none of the problems of the SD-DVD. There is still some ghosting here and there but even then it's to a much less degree than the SD-DVD. The PQ is very clear throughout and the 3-D really works.

In fact, I was very surprised at how much better the overall effect is. For me, it was a night and day difference. Well worth the upgrade. Just wish they had done the main titles in 3-D as well as they were a highlight of the field sequential version.

I will agree with this. The 3D effect is much better on the Blu-ray release than the SD release.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#16 of 23 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted June 21 2009 - 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahollis
I will agree with this. The 3D effect is much better on the Blu-ray release than the SD release.
I didn't think the change was that drastic but it's been a couple months since I took a look at the DVD. I will say though that the DVD would give me a headache in about 20 or 30 minutes and I didn't get a headache at all while watching the Blu-ray.

#17 of 23 ahollis

ahollis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 22 2009 - 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I didn't think the change was that drastic but it's been a couple months since I took a look at the DVD. I will say though that the DVD would give me a headache in about 20 or 30 minutes and I didn't get a headache at all while watching the Blu-ray.

Boy, just not getting a headache is an major improvement and also gives independent proof that Paramount went back a worked on the transfer.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#18 of 23 GregK

GregK

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M

Let's be clear on this: Paramount did NOT correct the alignment errors. It's the same transfer. If one checks the previously posted DVD screenshots to the Blu-ray version, you'll find the same alignment issues. With that said, does the anaglyph 3-D effect work better on the blu-ray version? Yes. All things equal, anaglyph 3-D will ALWAYS work better on blu-ray, because there's more bandwidth and a wider color gamut than what's possible on DVD. Hence, the L/R cancellation is slightly improved.

#19 of 23 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted June 26 2009 - 07:39 AM

Finished this one last night (got it from Netflix, happened to have some 3D glasses just because DC Comics has done a couple of 3D comics in the last year. The 3D on the Blu is far superior to the DVD version, I would assume primarily due to the increased resolution. For the most part (some scenes are definitely an exception) it works surprisingly well.

#20 of 23 tbaio

tbaio

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted January 06 2011 - 05:04 AM

I know this is an old thread & I doubt anyone will read this, but I'm glad a few people here mentioned how good the 3-D is for this disc is.  I found it amazing!  Yes, the red & blue glasses are a pain, but this disc yields the best 3-D on home video thus far in my opinion.  I have a 3-D player & TV & am very happy with several of the releases.  However, even the best of them currently (such as Resident Evil Afterlife, Step-Up 3-D & Monsters vs Aliens) are not as good as this.  Most 3-D effects these days are digitally added while the ones during the time of Friday the 13th Part 3-D were actually real objects being thrown at the camera.  It makes a world of difference.  I think movie companies can learn a lot by the viewing of this & other older 3-D movies.

Back to DVD, Blu-ray & Digital Reviews

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow