What's new

Very odd question.. (1 Viewer)

hippz420

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I've asked this here before and got nothing but bad criticism about how I have hooked up my stereo system, so all I'm looking for is an answer. If you do not have an answer to this question, please do not post here.

I have an RCA RT2770 5.1 Receiver, with 12 speakers hooked into the 6 channels. (That's where the criticism came from.) As much as you might think, the sound is NOT distorted in ANY way, and it actually sounds better than any other system I've had before. But, to get more bass, I hooked two 3-way speakers with 12" woofers into the LFE channel (Audio Tech Poly Pro Series 250W Model). Now don't get me wrong, they have AMAZING bass coming out of them, but the mid and high range speakers in each box don't give out any sound at all.

My question, very odd question, is if it is possible to rewire the speakers inside the box to have the 12" woofer on one port in the back, and the mid and high ranges on a second port. I know nothing about the wiring of the speakers inside the boxes themselves, so I'm not about to try and do this without knowing what to do. Sure, it'd be better to buy more speakers, but why not just do a little bit of hard labour (which I find fun when it's dealing with electronics) and spend about $2 for the port?

If you have any idea as to how to do this, it'd be greatly appreciated to know how.

Thanks,
Chris

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My guess is when you wrote "port" you meant speaker terminal. This is a port.

Basically, what you want to do is take amp that is not capable of bi-amping and a speaker that is not capable of bi-amping and bi-amp them. Remove the woofer and look at the crossover. If all of the components are mounted on the same circuit board then you will have some difficulty. Leave it connected to your mid/tweet and just buy the parts to re-create it as a completely different circuit. Wire the woofer to the new low pass crossover and then wire it to the new speaker terminal. Wire each speaker terminal to a speaker output of your receiver.

If you are wanting to use the 12's are subs, then you don't even need to add any extra crossover parts. Just pull the wires from the crossover board and connect them to the new terminal. Connect them to the powered LFE output of your receiver.

I have explained how to do this but I do not recommend that you do it.

Chris, you better stop reading now!!!
No, it wouldn't be better to buy more speakers. It would be better to connect your speakers properly and calibrate your system so that it sounds balanced. If you don't have enough bass, then get a real sub and not some speaker that happens to have 12" woofers. Remember that woofers and subs are not the same thing.

-Robert

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Please don't confuse criticism with knowledge and facts. The way you have your system setup is wrong (technically) and will not make it better (it could actually ruin your receiver). If you ask for advice and get it, don't dismiss it as criticism. If the advice you receive is wrong, show us why it is wrong (correct us with facts). I like to learn something new every day.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

That's because you have the speakers connected to the Low Frequency Effects output on your receiver which only outputs - wait for it - low frequencies. This is like complaining that faucet on your new sink only puts out cold water after you connect only the cold water line.

Hope this doesn't come across as criticism, I'm just trying to point out a fact.

Regards,

Joe

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
The fact that something is possible does not make it a good idea:

you could replace the tweeter with a hot dog.

the video*

*this video is a complete waste of ten minutes of your life, but if you're reading this, i think you can spare it. also, the video repeats a variant on the f-bomb, in case you have sensitive ears. again, probably not an issue for anyone reading this...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks