Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Pathos Classic One with Kef Q35.2 worth it?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Cagri

Cagri

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted June 12 2009 - 01:24 AM

Hi folks, I have a pair of Kef Q35.2s which are hooked to a NAD C320bee. I have been happily using this very subtle and old setup for almost a decade. Now a colleague of mine is selling his Pathos Classic One for a good price (but still pretty expensive compared to my system components) and I am not sure if it will be a good idea to drive my Kefs with this amp considering their age and limits etc. I have no intention to replace the speakers right now, so basically the question is, is it worth spending cash for this amp with these speakers or shall I keep what I have? (Not possible to borrow the amp and give it a test unfortunately) TIA
Too much debt...

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   John Brill

John Brill

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted June 12 2009 - 01:45 AM

Hey Cagri, I wouldn't buy the Pathos for the performance but more for the look. Pathos makes really great looking gear for the style concious (though the performance is top notch as well) but if you are going to hide it in a cabinet (and it isn't rack mountable) I wouldn't bother. How much is he asking?

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Cagri

Cagri

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted June 12 2009 - 03:16 AM

He is asking 1200 euros (which is around $1680) which is a good price really... I am not in the US, so don't compare with the price over there lol... might be too much for US market but good here.. I wouldn't buy it for the looks at all, it looks good yes, but I will not spend that much money for the looks. I will only buy it if I will get better sound than the NAD without replacing my speakers.
Too much debt...

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   John Brill

John Brill

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted June 12 2009 - 03:33 AM

Both are 50W x 2 rated amps. The Pathos is probably a cleaner signal but the NAD is no slouch. For your speakers, I wouldn't bother but I don't think the Pathos is "too much" for them.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,587 posts

Posted June 13 2009 - 08:05 AM

I would give it a listen with your setup. Otherwise you are just speculating. It's a lot of money todrop on speculation.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users