-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary UCE (DVD/Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
327 replies to this topic

#321 of 328 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted October 02 2009 - 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin 

Only two stores - and no online retailers - most certainly counts as "few options."

That's like bemoaning the fact that you can only get something like a caramel mocchiata (sp?) at Starbucks.  Sure, they're limited, but they're also everywhere.

Quote:
If you want the 3-disc version, you have 1 option. Even if you have a Target nearby - as I do - and they have it in stock - as they did when I bought mine - you're still likely to pay a higher price for it than if its availability hadn't been restricted to 1 store.
Perhaps, but there's several different price points depending on location and SKU, ranging from under $20 to $60+.  I can't see the pricing moving from that regardless of availability.

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#322 of 328 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,917 posts

Posted October 02 2009 - 08:14 AM

i watched Gone w/the Wind Bonus not long ago, and i read that Selznick lured Victor Flemming AWAY from Wizard of Oz during production, do you guys know which director finally finished Oz or did Flemming come back and finish Oz after the conflict w/Gone w/Wind?

it's pretty interesting both box sets are linked by Flemming ;).

#323 of 328 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 02 2009 - 08:22 AM

King Vidor reshot the Scarecrow scene, song, and dance. He also shot almost all of the Kansas footage, including "Over the Rainbow." Fleming returned to help get the rough and final cuts of Oz into shape.

#324 of 328 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,917 posts

Posted October 05 2009 - 02:59 AM

thanks eric,

i'm pretty sure all of this stuff is covered extensively in this huge box set. just waiting for the price to come down (hopefully) on amazon.

#325 of 328 Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,448 posts

Posted October 05 2009 - 04:28 AM

I watched the movie last night (looked great!) but none of the extras yet. I noticed on the main menu of disc 1 (I have the 3 disc Target version), the list of extras, going across the bottom of the screen has an "X" at the right.  It allows you to click on it but it didn't do anything (I thought it might bring up a second screen). I don't have it hooked up to the internet so I don't know if it's related to "BD Live." Anyone know anything about this?

One bad thing about the case is that the flap that holds disc 2 made a small scratch on the 2-sided MGM doc that it sits on top of. Probably not enough to affect playback, but still...

#326 of 328 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,678 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 05 2009 - 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I noticed on the main menu of disc 1 (I have the 3 disc Target version), the list of extras, going across the bottom of the screen has an "X" at the right.  It allows you to click on it but it didn't do anything (I thought it might bring up a second screen).

I don't know for sure but it sounds like that's the 'X' that you hit to get rid of the menu when you bring up the menu during the movie. I don't know why it would be there on the main menu though.

#327 of 328 Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,448 posts

Posted October 05 2009 - 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR View Post

I don't know for sure but it sounds like that's the 'X' that you hit to get rid of the menu when you bring up the menu during the movie. I don't know why it would be there on the main menu though.
That makes sense, I guess. I tried this after the movie ended.

#328 of 328 dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,127 posts

Posted October 05 2009 - 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger 

thanks eric,

i'm pretty sure all of this stuff is covered extensively in this huge box set. just waiting for the price to come down (hopefully) on amazon.

It's also covered in the bonus material included with the 3-disc Target set, which is identical to the box content-wise save for the digital copy on the 4th disc.

Careful man! There's a beverage here!