-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Contact coming in October!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
183 replies to this topic

#1 of 184 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,458 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted June 09 2009 - 02:53 PM

I can't wait for this one!

Contact (US - BD) in News > Releases at DVDActive

- Steve

#2 of 184 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,604 posts

Posted June 09 2009 - 03:06 PM

I paid through the nose for my copy of this film on DVD...well worth it. It was one of my first DVD's and, though hasn't held up well image wise, is still an engaging and appealing film.
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#3 of 184 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted June 09 2009 - 03:25 PM

Such a great film. Easily one of my favorite Sci-fi films so I'll be picking this up on day one. No doubt!
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#4 of 184 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted June 09 2009 - 05:02 PM

Thanks Steve, a purchase for certain.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#5 of 184 Vineetaprakash

Vineetaprakash

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 09 2009 - 05:36 PM

thank you for collng ok bay
http://www.*********...***************Posted Image

#6 of 184 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,693 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 09 2009 - 06:01 PM

Just some useless trivia. This was the first major title that was a dual layer DVD. I'm also looking forward to this one. A great movie that I haven't seen since I watched it after it just came out on DVD.

#7 of 184 Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted June 10 2009 - 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich
Just some useless trivia. This was the first major title that was a dual layer DVD.

Really? I always thought it was the first release of Terminator 2 (unless you're only talking about new releases and not catalog titles). I hope I haven't been lying to people all these years. Posted Image

In any case, for some reason I never picked up Contact on DVD so the Blu is a day one purchase for me.

#8 of 184 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted June 10 2009 - 01:20 AM

Greatly Looking forward to getting a better copy of this fine film
-however-
I'm kind of torn wondering if I should pick up this edition, or wait for the $90 Boxset-that-won't-fit-on-my-shelf edition, complete with blueprints, postcards, and a $2, 3" plastic, drop chair.

Decisions, decisions...

#9 of 184 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted June 10 2009 - 01:21 AM

Definitely picking this one up.....time to retire the old DVD copy. Should look absolutely amazing on Blu-ray. Posted Image
Recently watched- Phantom Of The Paradise, 300, The Final Terror, Willow, The Bank Job, One Hour Photo, Gone Baby Gone, Horrible Bosses, Buried, Escape Plan, Sudden Impact, The Enforcer(1976), The Other Guys, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 1, Lost: Season 1

"Give them nothing, but take from them EVERYTHING!"

#10 of 184 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,204 posts

Posted June 10 2009 - 01:21 AM

Nah, CONTACT was indeed the first dual-layered release.

This was at the top of my wish list. Glad to see it's coming.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#11 of 184 John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts
  • LocationI.E., CA

Posted June 10 2009 - 02:26 AM

Just watched it on my ISFed Mit 65711 CRT RPTV and it holds up very well.

The disc has absolutely no "EE," which made it a joy to watch. Getting right up to the screen you can see clear definition between ojects and colors...none of that damn white outline.

Looking at how well it looks on SD, you can just imagine the detail BD will bring out.

Let's pray they don't screw this up as the trends seems to be doing in so many BD releases.

I'll double dip if they do it right, not double dip just because it's on BD!
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ; 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panasonic BD30 Player; Toshiba HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box.

#12 of 184 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 10 2009 - 02:32 AM

I need to give this film another chance, as my cinematic world has expanded greatly since my initial viewing.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#13 of 184 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,348 posts

Posted June 10 2009 - 03:33 AM

This is great news, I was just thinking the other day that it had been far too long since I had seen this film. I think on Family Guy a few weeks ago, Stewie made a reference to it and since then I've been eager to check it out again. Great timing!

#14 of 184 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,059 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted June 10 2009 - 03:42 AM

Quote:
Just some useless trivia. This was the first major title that was a dual layer DVD.
And also the last serious film that Matthew McConaughey appeared in. Ok, I exaggerate (a little)Posted Image
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#15 of 184 pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,833 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted June 10 2009 - 05:02 AM

Quote:
Just some useless trivia. This was the first major title that was a dual layer DVD. I'm also looking forward to this one. A great movie that I haven't seen since I watched it after it just came out on DVD.
I remember well how my old Panny player "choked" on that layer change, too (when Jodie Foster receives the fax.) Posted Image

I'll be getting this for sure! Very enjoyable film.
Gary

#16 of 184 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,102 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted June 10 2009 - 05:08 AM

I remember buying this back in Dec of 97 on DVD from an online retailer along with the Laserdisc box set for Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996 Disney)

I recently popped it on my old standard TV and noticed bow macro blotcy it looks compared to newer standard DVD releases, with all the extras on one disc it could use the freed up space for compression. I also tried it on my BD player on teh HD tv and it looked better than I expected but a BD release will be welcomed.

I hope it is a 50GB disc release the film deserves 42 GBs just for the film transfer, with WB's something tells me under 30GB for the film lucky if it hits 25GB.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#17 of 184 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,974 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted June 10 2009 - 05:33 AM

Quote:
I believe Adam is right. I distinctly recall wondering how Contact could run (without switching sides) since it was longer than the 2 hours and x minutes early DVDs were supposedly limited to.

The layer shift confused me for a second Posted Image Great movie, and a great early special edition DVD.

Day one for certain.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#18 of 184 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted June 10 2009 - 05:43 AM

I don't know if Terminator 2 is considered a major title, but I seem to recall the first DVD of that movie making the same claim....or was it first "anamorphic" title?

Update...the found the claim on a 1998 review from DVD File.com:

"Considering the fact that this one of the earlier DVD's produced, in fact it was the first commercial dual-layered RSDL disc, it really does impress me"

#19 of 184 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,916 posts

Posted June 10 2009 - 06:08 AM

i hope they used a newer master. i've seen this on a H.264 1080p european broadcast and it's the same master used on the DVD. while great back then, can be better today on Blu-Ray =).

l00king forward to it! and by now, WB should be all lossless? one hopes. the wormhole sequence is still incredible, even though it was only 384k Dolby Digital 5.1 back then.

#20 of 184 Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted June 10 2009 - 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman
I remember well how my old Panny player "choked" on that layer change, too (when Jodie Foster receives the fax.) Posted Image

I'll be getting this for sure! Very enjoyable film.

Posted Image

Good one! God that layer switch....I'd even lose the audio stream momentarily as the player 'recovered' back then.

I'm all over this one when it comes to BD. Opening sequence with the universe pull-back should be stunning.
"He is not Herbert. We reach!"

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow