What's new

Futurama returning?!?! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Good news, everyone! Futurama is strongly rumored to be returning to TV!
IndyStar.com | Geeking Out | The Indianapolis Star
Proving that you just can't keep a dysfunctional future down, Comedy Central has greenlit an additional 26 episodes of Matt Groening's cult sci-fi cartoon 'Futurama.' That may not sound like much, but keep in mind that the show had only 72 episodes when it was initially canceled in 2003. The new episodes, to again be produced via Fox, will begin running sometime in the middle of 2010.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
not sure if thats good news.
while it already returned with the 4 movies, they declined in goodness
as they apeared.
I really loved the show in it's intitial run, the movies not so much.
Also I wondrr if that includes the movies since they were intended
for editing into 3 tv shows each movie.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought the movies got a bum rap. They weren't as great as the best episodes but some fans really tore them apart.

I like the end of the last movie as a series finale but I'm still looking forward to two seasons of new episodes. At least, I assume it's two years of episodes since I can't imagine Comedy Central not stretching their "NEW EPISODES OF FUTURAMA ONLY COMEDY CENTRAL!" ads out as long as possible.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I think this is great news. Even not-quite-as-good Futurama is better than most animated television today.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
TonyD said:
Also I wondrr if that includes the movies since they were intended for editing into 3 tv shows each movie.
No, at 88 minutes each, the films would be 4 episodes (which would be a total of 16). This bit of news sounds like what has been rumored for a while, that new production would commence on Futurama once the movies were released and were successful. EW says a Fox spokesman confirms 26 new episodes have been ordered.
The news is summed up here:
Can't get enough Futurama: Futurama News
And yes, this is great news. Futurama was one of the funniest and smartest shows in many years.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This is great news for me. I loved the show. I just finished watching the last movie and the way they were talking in the commentary track, it sort of sounded like they had a hint even then (when they recorded it) that there might be more episodes.

I have to admit this is sort of unexpected. By me anyway. I didn't think that the DVD sales of the 4 movies was enough to warrant this. I guess Comedy Central was happy enough with the ratings to go for more new episodes.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Excellent news. The rumors that were goign around yesterday were for 13 episodes. The fact that it's doubled is even better.
And yes, the movies were written so as to easily divide into 4 episodes each, which accounts for most of their issues. When watched in 22 minutes chunks, they work better. That said, I enjoyed all 4 of the movies.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Good news, everyone! Futurama is strongly rumored to be returning to TV!
Awwwriiight! Futurama is coming back! With blackjack! And hookers! In fact, forget the Futurama and the blackjack.
Anyway, great news. Drink up, everybody, the Slurms are on me. And if anybody doesn't like it, he can bite my shiny metal ass!
htf_imgcache_42903.png

Regards,
Joe

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate! -- Zapp Brannigan

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've seen two of the four movies (Tentacle monster and LOTR spoof). They are amusing, and better than nothing. But Futurama seems best told in 30-min episodes.
But lacking cable, I'm eager for the DVD release of the new episodes!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
I've seen two of the four movies (Tentacle monster and LOTR spoof). They are amusing, and better than nothing. But Futurama seems best told in 30-min episodes.
This is the biggest problem with the movies. The first one was hysterical, but the other three would have been much better in as a 30-min story. Even the awful LOTR D&D parody would have been a lot easier to take in a half-hour timeslot.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The only thing I disliked about the movies is the incoherent, quickly-abandoned subplot of Bender dating the Donbot's wife in the last one.
But this revival is sure to be better than that of the not-even-trying-anymore Family Guy or the travesty that dares to impersonate The Simpsons. Let's hope it's not a victim of football overruns again.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The other two movies are still on my wishlist. They'll show up at some holiday or another
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I posted this news to Facebook and the wife of a good friend groaned at the news, anticpating ever more quotes from the show :D

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Tell the wife you want them for Flag Day.
My regret about the movies is that I got Bender's Game on DVD. I got a Blu-ray player about a month after it came out. :frowning:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thoroughly enjoyed the movies. Sure, some were better than others, but they all had that core Futurama humor, not to mention outstanding animation. Looking forward to the revival of the series.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Being on Comedy Central, at least we don't have to worry about football overruns.

"Bite my shiny metal ass"

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I don't like this news

From the NY Post

'TOONED OUT 'FUTURAMA" could sound different when it returns to Comedy Central next year. Producer 20th TV is auditioning new actors after failing to reach an agreement with the original voice cast, including John DiMaggio, Billy West and Katey Sagal. It's still possible the two sides could reach an agreement, insiders say.

They'll have to reach a deal. It would be suicide to bring Futurama back without West, DiMaggio and Sagal. I wouldn't be able to watch

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks