Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Futurama returning?!?!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 of 114 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,421 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 18 2009 - 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG View Post

It's still possible the two sides could reach an agreement, insiders say.

Translation: They're bargaining right now and the cast made it public to get some momentum on their side. And I wish them the best of luck because without them, there's no (watchable) show.

#22 of 114 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted July 18 2009 - 04:05 PM

Yeah. The Simpsons go through that every few years when it's contract negotiation time.

STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#23 of 114 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted July 19 2009 - 06:59 AM

Unfortunately this account seems more conclusive but I hope it's wrong:

http://popwatch.ew.c....ew-voices.html

Like I said it would be suicide to try to bring this show back without the original cast. I also can't believe that Groening and co. would even want to do the show without them. There was even a joke on The Simpsons once where Flanders talked about in Cartoons you can replace the voice actors with other people and no one would no the difference, but he said it in a completely fake "Flanders" voice

And talk about Fox still just having no understanding of the audience for this show. The Futurama fans are very loyal and rabid and will not accept the change in the voice cast unless they can find people who can perfectly recreate the original voices and they're will be no room for error.

And the cast is dumb as well. I love Billy West and think he's the Mel Blanc of this era. But it's not like he's going to get plumb gigs outside of Futurama. He'll get commercial work being the Honey Nut Cheerios Bee and the yellow or whatever M&M, but it's not like he's going to get gigs in Pixar or Dreamworks animated films which most of the time go to bigger name celebrities. Same goes for DiMaggio and LaMarche. Well LaMarche does seem to get somewhat steady work, but it seems like mostly kid animated shows. Also, it seems from commentaries and other DVD features that the cast does genuinely enjoy doing the show. But bottom line is that Futurama is probably they best they're going to get these days. Katey Sagal is the one with the best legs to stand on here as she is likely to be able to get work in live action TV.

The irony there is that I could probably live if they recast Sagal and the one who does the voice for Amy Wong. Because if I had to choose, I would say those are the two least essential characters for me and Sagal only does Leela and just uses her regular voice for her. So it would not be the end of the world if they got someone else with a similar voice. You could say that West just does his regular voice for Fry, but it's too distinctive and perfect for that character. But, in addition, he does the Professor, Zapp Branigan (although it still saddens me that Zapp was very obviously meant for Phil Hartman) and Zoidberg among others. LaMarche does Calculon and couldn't live with a different voice for Calculon either. And there's just no way that DiMaggio as the voice of Bender could be replaced.

The sad thing is that if they replace the actors and the show inevitably fails, it will likely be the end of Futurama for good. And the executives will probably be scratching they're heads wondering why it failed when the DVD movies were successful.

Edited by WillG - 7/19/2009 at 10:25 pm GMT
Edited by WillG - 7/19/2009 at 10:28 pm GMT
Edited by WillG - 7/19/2009 at 10:38 pm GMT
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#24 of 114 Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 05:00 AM

Stewie Griffin: "Jim Henson had a wait and see attitude...now we've got wrong sounding muppets..."

Swedish Chef: "You want some spaghetti? That's, like, my specialty and junk"

Kermit (slowly): "Yay..."

I don't like SPAM!

#25 of 114 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,421 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG View Post

I also can't believe that Groening and co. would even want to do the show without them.

I don't know for sure but I'd guess that they were probably already locked into their own deals and never really thought it would get to the point where the cast might not be back anyway.

#26 of 114 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 20 2009 - 08:11 AM

Now that THR and others are all backing this up, that recasting will be announced at Comicon, I have only one thing to say:
Posted Image

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#27 of 114 Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,469 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 21 2009 - 07:19 AM

New casting = no sale for me.  It's beyond epic fail.

#28 of 114 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,421 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

New casting = no sale for me. 

Same here. I'm not one of those whiny 'fans' who complain about every aspect of the show and still continues to watch but I doubt I will even give episodes with different actors a chance. Normally, I'm not that close minded but the actors bring so much to those characters that there's just no point in watching for me. The fourth movie is a good closing point for the series anyway so, if they recast, that'll be the end of the show in my mind.

#29 of 114 nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted July 21 2009 - 12:45 PM

Until I see a quote from David Cohen or Matt Groening to the contrary, this is just posturing.

#30 of 114 Eric-S

Eric-S

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 02:43 PM

I would tune in, curl up with a box of kleenex, and just have a good long cry :)

Seriously...as a fan with every DVD and listened to every commentary, there is no chance this will fly. i still hope and think, it's just one long negotiation.

#31 of 114 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,730 posts

Posted July 22 2009 - 01:33 AM

Can't imagine that's true. I suspect the cast will be returning. The company just made the decision to resurrect the series - it doesn't follow that they'd want a new cast at this point.

#32 of 114 Scott-S

Scott-S

Test Subject

• 2,024 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted July 22 2009 - 02:27 AM

I am not sure how I feel about this. I really want to know more details about the disbute, but I know we will probably never know. If they are offering the actors less money, then I don't blame the actors for refusing to budge. But if the actors are asking for lots more, then I sort of understand why Fox would be hesitant. After all, being on comedy central, this is not going to do as well as a prime time slot on Fox would do.

It is really hard to know how I feel without all the facts.

I will be very angry and disappointed if they can't reach an agreement.

-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#33 of 114 nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted July 22 2009 - 08:42 AM

There's no point in feeling anything about this. Like I said, until a comment is made otherwise by certain executive producers and/or voice actors, this is just posturing for contract negotiations just like with the Simpsons and shouldn't be taqken too seriosuly at this point.

#34 of 114 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,421 posts

Posted July 24 2009 - 05:19 AM

There's a Futurama panel tomorrow at the San Diego Comic Con so I'm sure someone will make some statement about the situation (even if it's just "We remain hopeful to work something out").

#35 of 114 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 31 2009 - 10:31 AM

Just an update, the entire cast has signed for 26 eps..

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/07/good_news_everyone_--_futurama_is_saved.php

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#36 of 114 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,421 posts

Posted July 31 2009 - 10:36 AM

That link leaves off the last paragraph of the story from The Toronto Star: 

"A Fox spokesman, reacting to this story, insisted that only two of the cast have so far signed the deal, but later added that they expect to have the matter resolved by the end of the day."

Sounds good!

#37 of 114 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted July 31 2009 - 01:00 PM

More info here http://voiceactors.w...ecast-futurama/

#38 of 114 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted August 01 2009 - 01:38 PM

Apparently Variety and The Hollywood Reporter lied about the casts salary demands...
http://voiceactors.wordpress.com/2009/08/01/futurama-cast-open-letter/

#39 of 114 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,991 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 14 2010 - 01:55 AM

June 24th.

http://www.comedycen...ama/index.jhtml

facebook.com/whotony

#40 of 114 JonZ

JonZ