Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Jerry Beck on Stu's Show: Tommorrow at 4

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#41 of 102 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,137 posts

Posted March 25 2010 - 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Traveling Matt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hopefully they'll return to Popeye at some point. I'd really like to see that series

Well, they will eventually run out of Looney Tunes so they'll have to release more Popeye Cartoons :)

#42 of 102 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,723 posts

Posted March 25 2010 - 08:32 PM

wasn't the word that they discovered the color Popeyes needed more restoration work than they originally thought?

shame there will be no Disney Treasures since that's been a staple of the Christmas gifts.

at least the bad Yogi Bear film gives a shot of the rest of the Huckleberry Hounds episodes.

come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#43 of 102 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted March 26 2010 - 10:00 AM

I think that was going around, yes. The B&Ws were the ones that were desperately in need of saving, however. Thankfully those are all done and should buy some time before the colors reach a similar point.

#44 of 102 OFFLINE   Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted March 26 2010 - 12:06 PM

Apparently, the new Looney Tunes DVD's going onward are not only limited to star characters, but they're limited to star character shorts made after 1953 (the widescreen era, since that's the only thing WB is restoring now). But none of the Looney Tunes were actually made in widescreen, so this just means WHV are being blithering idiots... again.

#45 of 102 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted March 27 2010 - 09:19 AM

Yeah, I think that’s foolish. Especially since, as someone at GAC said, it’s precisely the early films that need the most attention. With or without DVDs planned.
As for these new Super Stars discs, I’m now a bit more apprehensive. The pretense is that it’s the replacement series to the Golden Collections, yet we’re already hearing of priority-related quality control issues big enough to delay the first wave by four months.

#46 of 102 OFFLINE   Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted March 27 2010 - 04:04 PM

The chat with WHV is next month, isn't it? I propose we ask them

#47 of 102 OFFLINE   DoctorHver

DoctorHver

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted April 02 2010 - 07:34 AM

The Chat with WHV wenn is it? (date)

#48 of 102 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted April 02 2010 - 09:19 AM

TVShowsOnDVD linked another recent interview with Jerry Beck, in which he talks rather candidly about his involvement with the studios, especially Warners, as well as the DVDs. Much of the talk is about the future of the Looney Tunes, but it also includes Popeye, Woody Woodpecker and Hanna Barbera. Well worth it if you can spare twenty minutes.

Here's the direct link: http://www.ustownhal.../usth/index.php

The discussion turns to DVDs at about 66 minutes.

#49 of 102 OFFLINE   DoctorHver

DoctorHver

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted April 02 2010 - 09:55 AM

No, I was not refering to that interview I have already herd that I was refering to the upcoming chat that the hometheter forum is going to have with WHV about animation and TV stuff.

#50 of 102 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,507 posts

Posted April 02 2010 - 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by DoctorHver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Chat with WHV wenn is it? (date)
It's Monday, April 5th.

http://www.hometheat.../htf-chat-rules

#51 of 102 OFFLINE   DoctorHver

DoctorHver

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted April 02 2010 - 10:37 AM

Thanks, It will be good to hare form WHV also not only Jerry Beck.  As more soures reporting the seme better confirmation.

#52 of 102 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted December 07 2010 - 12:44 PM

Jerry returned to Stu's Show last Wednesday, December 1st, and TVShowsOnDVD.com has a nicely-summarized rundown of what was discussed.

[*]
    Although not a TV show, folks who saw the SNAFU military shorts as bonus material on various of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection releases will be interested to know that Thunderbean Animation has collected all the Private Snafu shorts - including new-to-DVD material! - and remastered them, and is putting these uncensored shorts onto an upcoming-quickly DVD release with bonus material (which includes audio commentaries by Jerry and others). It will go up for pre-order on Amazon.com, via their 3rd-party Marketplace program, on December 13th and begins shipping on December 16th. Look for it![*]
    Jerry noted that there will be no replacement by Warner of the Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck "Looney Tunes Superstars" discs in relation to the shorts on it being included in non-original widescreen format; Warner's position is that these were not aimed at collectors but at the mass market who expects it to fit on their widescreen TVS, and the box clearly stated what the video format was; Jerry speculates that at some point down the road there will probably be a douple-dip release of those shorts in a collector's DVD version with the video in full-frame format (but no guarantees).[*]
    Jerry couldn't say much, but he revealed that Warner is restoring new shorts, and also taking shorts previously released on Golden Collection DVDs, with the intent to make them available on Blu-ray at some point; it will likely be a "best-of"-style compilation with some bonus material.[*]
    Stu said he had heard the Looney Tunes Superstars line of releases might be nearing the end; Jerry protested that this isn't really the case and pointed out that there are several in the works for next year, including another one with Bugs Bunny, as well as a Road Runner one with new-to-DVD shorts, and a "Sylvester & Friends" release; Jerry notes that some of the Superstar releases will continue to be double-dips of shorts released on the Golden Collections, in order to A) find a home with the mass-market audience of non-collectors who didn't get those shorts on the Golden Collection releases, and B) to help fund the restoration of more shorts, so that they can see eventual home video release.[*]
    HERE'S THE BIG NEWS! Jerry said that the "Censored 11" is planned for DVD, most definitely, and with a GENERAL traditional retail release (not via the Warner Archives; see our Oct. 12th report, and the next-day-update at the bottom of it, for more on that); it will have other rare cartoons besides the "11", all restored, plus some bonus materials; it will be "high-class" release![*]
    There's also going to be - "far in the future" - a Tom and Jerry Golden Collection, done at the highest level, with material not yet seen before, aimed at the the collector in a way that the previous "Spotlight" DVD releases never were.[*]
    Jerry said he was instigating something there in the interview: he wants fans to write to Shout! Factory and suggest that they license cartoons from larger studios which aren't seeing releases (Mighty Mouse, Betty Boop, Mister Magoo, etc.).[*]
    The Warner Archives (and manufacture-on-demand programs from other studios) came up a few times; the bottom-line question being if there will be any animation - other than Hanna-Barbera, which the Warner Archive does a lot of - coming from that program? Jerry said yes, there possibly are some new releases through the Warner Archives, and said that Bosko could possibly be one of them.

http://tvshowsondvd....erry-Beck/14771

#53 of 102 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted December 07 2010 - 12:48 PM

While the news about the Censored 11 is great, I'm most excited about a Tom and Jerry Golden Collection. I own exactly zero T&J DVDs because they've never been released properly; hopefully a new collection will remedy all past problems and allow these films to be available as they should have been six or eight years ago.

#54 of 102 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,507 posts

Posted December 07 2010 - 02:08 PM

This is my definition of a ripoff.    That a studio would alter the original aspect ratio for the sake of people too dense to realize this is how they're SUPPOSED TO LOOK is pathetic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traveling Matt /forum/thread/288885/jerry-beck-on-stu-s-show-tommorrow-at-4/30#post_3758958

[*]
    Jerry noted that there will be no replacement by Warner of the Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck "Looney Tunes Superstars" discs in relation to the shorts on it being included in non-original widescreen format; Warner's position is that these were not aimed at collectors but at the mass market who expects it to fit on their widescreen TVS, and the box clearly stated what the video format was; Jerry speculates that at some point down the road there will probably be a douple-dip release of those shorts in a collector's DVD version with the video in full-frame format

#55 of 102 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,460 posts

Posted December 12 2010 - 03:23 PM

I would return any disks not in the proper aspect ratio and demand a full refund. That is the best way to discourage bad programming. If It's too late to return them to the retailer, throw it in a box and ship it to Warner Home Video and demand a refund.

#56 of 102 OFFLINE   Ed Moroughan

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit

• 377 posts
  • LocationStar Lake, NY

Posted December 14 2010 - 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traveling Matt /forum/thread/288885/jerry-beck-on-stu-s-show-tommorrow-at-4/30#post_3758958

[*]
    Jerry noted that there will be no replacement by Warner of the Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck "Looney Tunes Superstars" discs in relation to the shorts on it being included in non-original widescreen format; Warner's position is that these were not aimed at collectors but at the mass market who expects it to fit on their widescreen TVS, and the box clearly stated what the video format was; Jerry speculates that at some point down the road there will probably be a double-dip release of those shorts in a collector's DVD version with the video in full-frame format (but no guarantees).

Interesting. I don't have either disc so I have to rely on Amazon for my info. It says "Standard Version" on both and Daffy has the "...intended for the Adult Collector..." nonsense on it.

Bugs: http://ecx.images-am...xL._AA1500_.jpg

Daffy: http://ecx.images-am...6L._AA1500_.jpg

Whatever, it was ok for all the post 1953 shorts to be in fullscreen in the GC's but NOW it isn't? I bought the Foghorn set because they gave us the choice. When they issue a replacement for the others they can have my money.

#57 of 102 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted December 14 2010 - 08:22 PM

I don't recall hearing before the sets were released that they were not intended for the collector. I do remember hearing how these sets both contained cartoons that were "first time on DVD". A collector would be very interested in knowing that.   When the Golden Collections releases ended we were told WB was looking for a new way to market and release Looney Tunes. So, the first releases after the Golden Collections end are not aimed at collectors?   None of this makes sense to me. It sounds like WB is now backpeddling and trying to avoid a disc replacement situation.

#58 of 102 OFFLINE   Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted December 15 2010 - 01:20 PM

You guys are overthinking it. Can we just say Warner sucks hard now an move on?

#59 of 102 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,205 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted December 15 2010 - 03:17 PM

[*]
 There's also going to be - "far in the future" - a Tom and Jerry Golden Collection, done at the highest level, with material not yet seen before, aimed at the the collector in a way that the previous "Spotlight" DVD releases never were.

[*]
about time, all the theatricals i hope,
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#60 of 102 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,460 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Martinez /forum/thread/288885/jerry-beck-on-stu-s-show-tommorrow-at-4/30#post_3761663

You guys are overthinking it. Can we just say Warner sucks hard now an move on?
Warner does a good job on classic live action films. It's animation that they mess up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users