What's new

Jerry Beck on Stu's Show: Tommorrow at 4 (1 Viewer)

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Jerry on Stu’s Show tomorrow. | Cartoon Brew: Leading the Animation Conversation
Word up the grapevine suggests that the Mighty Mouse DVD he talked about last time will only contain the Ralph Bakshi update from the 80's. People who worked on it have been interviewed for extras.
oh, and
Jerry Beck said:
forthcoming (if any) classic cartoon DVDs from Warner Bros.
in English: say goodbye to Looney Tunes on DVD, because you know that anything he has to say on that subject won't be cheery.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Kevin Martinez said:
Jerry on Stu’s Show tomorrow. | Cartoon Brew: Leading the Animation Conversation
Word up the grapevine suggests that the Mighty Mouse DVD he talked about last time will only contain the Ralph Bakshi update from the 80's. People who worked on it have been interviewed for extras.
oh, and
in English: say goodbye to Looney Tunes on DVD, because you know that anything he has to say on that subject won't be cheery.
I'd be happy to take Mighty Mouse in any format as that small step could get interest going for larger releases. You just never know.
I do really hope WB continues their classic cartoon lineup. There's so much stuff still out there (they STILL aren't done with Super Friends, even after the "lost" season is released) that I doubt they'll stop. And trust me, there's too much money to be made off of Bugs Bunny for them to stop doing Looney Tunes cold turkey.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I hope the rumor about the Ralph Bakshi Mighty Mouse is true. That's always been one of my favorites.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Listening to the show right now. Mr. Beck has so far implied that Looney Tunes collections for the moment are dead, Popeye too, BUT that movement inside WB to get something out to sell has many thinking...Censored Eleven. He didn't want to say much but it seems the climate may have finally come for them. Plus, look forward to surprises in the Warner Archive from the shorts/cartoons area.

PS - To Tim, It's True!
PS2 - A Volume 2 of Saturday Morning Cartoons is coming.
Edited by Ed Moroughan - 7/18/2009 at 11:55 pm GMT

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone tell me when this show will be replayed. I missed the last seventy minutes of it. Is there a way I can download it.

James

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I simply don't have time to wade throught an entire re-broadcast. Can someone give us the lowdown on what was said? Looney Tunes, Popeye?

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
I did post what was said, that was all the news he had, the rest was discussion of Family Guy and other animated shows on now...anyway replay is daily at 7PM ET or 4PM PT.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I still don't understand why WB stopped with the Golden Collections. I thought those were the absolute pinnacle of classic animation on DVD, alongside the Disney Treasures.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
So, what would be a good strategy for getting the Looney Tunes reissued in a format that WOULD sell better? Frankly, I'm surprised they've given up not only on the Tunes, but on Popeye as well.

I would argue that there are few companies, if any, that give as much care or work in a release as WB, so whatever they come up with SHOULD be good, but I can't imagine something like Bugs Bunny sitting on the shelf for very long.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Ed Moroughan said:
I did post what was said, that was all the news he had, the rest was discussion of Family Guy and other animated shows on now...anyway replay is daily at 7PM ET or 4PM PT.
Sorry, I was wondering if they offered more of a forecast. Thank you for what you did mention.
Reading feedback on other forums, it appears these decisions (formally at least) are economy-based. As for Looney Tunes, the Golden Collections were already wrapped up with Volume Six and it's been known there would be nothing this year. WB is supposedly revamping that series.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
We can "expect" the following:
Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970's Volume 3 (the 1970's sets sold better than the 1960's sets)
Saturday Morning Cartoons 1980's Volume 1
a Bugs Bunny Easter Special DVD (similar to the Valentine's Day DVD) http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bugs-Bunny-Looney-Tunes-Comedy-Hour-Bugs-Bunnys-Easter-Funnies/12949
in April, single disc sets for both Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck maybe as part of a continuing collection (Jerry says they will not
be double dipping, 15 cartoons each)
possible future Tom and Jerry "restored, Golden Collection style" sets
Leonard Maltin says Walt Disney Treasures will continue, consisting of what...unknown
buy the new Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures DVD set and they may go into the vaults for more Terrytoons!
a Volume 3 of Woody Woodpecker etc, if sales thinks it is viable
Looney Tunes return to Cartoon Network Sunday 11/15 @ 1PM ET for 6 hours, and then at 11AM daily for an hour after.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
what will the 1980s collection be, like the Fonz/Dukes/Laverne and Shirley/Transformers/GI Joe/Gilligans Planet/Mork and Mindy/Mr T. Saturday Morning cartoons died after the early 1980s, so doing a set may not make sense.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
So Popeye is dead after all? Or just not mentioned?

The Looney Tunes and Popeye collections were among my favorites - bummer to see them go by the wayside.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit I was hoping for more. I would have loved to have heard that Batman '69 animated, Shazzan, Frankeinstein Jr, the Herculoids, Duck Dodger or even Pinky, Elmira, and the Brain might be in the consideration for season sets.
Well. . . .Maybe later
James

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Originally Posted by Steve...O /forum/thread/288885/jerry-beck-on-stu-s-show-tommorrow-at-4#post_3627171
So Popeye is dead after all? Or just not mentioned?
The Looney Tunes and Popeye collections were among my favorites - bummer to see them go by the wayside.
I looked at the GAC site and requested a summary, if possible. I got alot of bits and pieces and it appears that Popeye is not dead but is a $$$ problem. Evidently some/all of the colored Popeyes need restoring which can't de done now.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Good to hear about these plans, although I hope past standards are maintained. Over at the Golden Age Cartoon forum, there is some concern the Looney Tunes single-discs will not be restored. According to one member, Jerry himself isn't sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.