Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TomTom iPhone Dock, anyone?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#201 of 213 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted June 08 2012 - 09:40 PM

Question.  Is there some trick to making the TomTom app let you enter in exact address for destination?

I can't seem to figure out how to do that consistently.  In fact, I think I've only managed to do it once or twice in the couple weeks time I've spent w/ it on the iPad.  It seems to keep insisting I enter destinations using cross streets/roads (w/ usual options to go w/ POI, Google search, etc.) instead of exact address.

Still using the previous version here as I have very little incentive to update, especially given the hassle it takes to do the update for so little gain.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#202 of 213 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,296 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 09 2012 - 02:57 AM

Navigate to... Address Then enter consecutively: City Street Number Again, it compares poorly to Maps and Google. Why doesn't it let me paste in an address copied from Maps or and email? Why is it still a slave to a GPS device design limitations from a decade ago?

#203 of 213 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 09 2012 - 03:07 AM

I have an app for Navigon that lets me type in a specific address then it opens up the Navagon app with the full address in the destination.
facebook.com/whotony

#204 of 213 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,296 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 03:25 AM

I have that too: NavNow app? I loved it, especially for getting addresses out of Yelp or AroundMe. Unfortunately, after an update last year, TomTom takes the addreses as GPS coordinates, rather than street names. I it's practically useless if I might want to grab that address again out of "Recent", or to add it as a Favorite.

There's a bigger need for iOS to support apps communicating with each other. The hope is that iOS6 will bring something that feature, and the ability for address-finding apps to send locations to TomTom (or other) to be made standard.

#205 of 213 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 09 2012 - 03:29 AM

I've never liked Tomtom. The maps are ugly and I never got along with the GUI. Garmin was always my favorite but they have a lousy iPhone app so Navigon seems best to me.
facebook.com/whotony

#206 of 213 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,296 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 04:25 AM

Though I've got complaints, both my wife and I have found TomTom extremely useful. When I bought in 2010, TomTom seemed the best reviewed, and best map quality. Since then, it seems Navigon has gotten better. Unfrotunately, Garmin, which was the actual GPS we had before our iPhones, had no app in 2010. And the app since has gotten lesser reviews.

I'd originally planned to get the TomTom GPS-mount kit. But it won't work with my car adapter. And while an improved GPS reception would be nice, it's not been necessary.

#207 of 213 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 07:50 AM

Navigate to... Address Then enter consecutively: City Street Number Again, it compares poorly to Maps and Google. Why doesn't it let me paste in an address copied from Maps or and email? Why is it still a slave to a GPS device design limitations from a decade ago?

Strange. That seems to work fine in most(?) cases, but not in some others for me. Seems to depend a lot on the street name I use for whatever reason. For instance, it always asks me for cross street w/ no option to enter building number when I try Arlington, VA --> Potamac Ave, which was where we often needed to go during our trip to the DC area. Oh well... _Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#208 of 213 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,296 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 07:54 AM

Is it a case of the name not matching its database and needing additional information?

I come across maps error too, from time to time, that cause address entry problems. I find that NavTech maps, which is where TomTom gets the info, tends to be about five years out of date.

#209 of 213 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,069 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted March 12 2013 - 05:30 AM

Of possible interest to iOS GPS afficionados (I thought there was a more general GPS thread but I can't find it): http://www.theverge....-crash-response Kind of like a GPS in reverse, giving metrics on where you have been and how you got there instead of where you are going...

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#210 of 213 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,296 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 01:58 PM

That's pretty cool. I'll have to look into it further.

For a cheap and easy app, that gives much the same thing and helps track regular services, try Car Care.

https://itunes.apple...d284946069?mt=8

#211 of 213 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,296 posts

Posted March 23 2013 - 04:03 AM

Whatever happened to the TomTom GPS dock? Did they update it for the iphone5?

The latest app update brought some overdue improvements, but it falls further behind in map-UI competency.

#212 of 213 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,069 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 21 2013 - 12:13 PM

iOS7 adds walking directions to Maps:

http://www.cultofmac..._source=twitter

I thought we had a thread bitching about Google Maps getting burned by iOS Maps but I can't find it.  This seemed the best alternative spot

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#213 of 213 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,296 posts

Posted June 21 2013 - 07:55 PM

We did, don't recall which thread it was in.

iOS 6 has walking directions in maps. Are they not spoken? (No voice of any sort on my iphone 4, so I can't check)

I've come to terms with Apple Maps. It's adequate except, ironically, for walking in big cities. I'm looking forward to trying out voice nav on a new iPhone 5S, and seeing if I can uninstall TomTom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users