What's new

Gilligan's Island Beyond (1 Viewer)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Does anyone know if the three telefilms that took place after the original series are available on DVD??

My younger kids have enjoyed the season sets and I thought it would be fun for them to at least see the 1st telefilm before it was turned into a Fantasy Island Lite Ripoff.

wh5916

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Hicks

I found a dollar store variety of "Rescue From Gilligan's Island" on DVD a few years back, from Digiview. Quality was bad, even for a dollar release. I gave up trying to watch it after a few minutes.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I also purchase rescue from Gilligan's island and it the quality was very poor. I like to see them released Rescure from Gilligan's island, the Castaways from Gilligan's Island, Harlem Globe Trotters and Gilligan's Island. You could also add in the New Adventures of Gilligan and Gilligan's Planet that should also be released. However, it may be wishful thinking, because the original series dvd package has been out for 2005 years. They could have package the movies and the cartoons into a complete series package, but they chose not too. I am not surprise that these other items have not been released.

The last time i seen the gilligan's movies on tv was over 20 years ago and i seen them on the old TBS station. I am diehard Gilligan Island fan and would like to purchase the remaining series along with the movies. However, I wont hold my breath that is going to happen any time soon. There are many stalled series like The rookies, WKRP, Growing Pains, Silver Spoons, etc. I can go on and on, but I wont.

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator
I also recently picked up a copy of Rescue from Gilligan's Island - I saw it in the checkout line at Fry's Electronics and it was only $4. I'm a big fan of the TV series, and I remember watching the movies when they were originally broadcast 30 years ago, and at the time I loved them.

I found the quality of the release to be watchable. No, it's nothing like a remastered DVD or even a regular DVD, but I didn't think it was awful - consider that I'm probably older than most in this group and compared to broadcast TV with rabbit ears, everything that's on DVD is great so I had no issues with that.

HOWEVER, I really enjoyed the movie 30 years ago, and I love the TV show, BUT... the movie sucked beyond belief... in fact I'd probably rate it as the worst movie I have ever seen in my life, it really had nothing redeeming about it at all, in fact it was so bad it offended me lol. My advice - if you have young kids get it for them and let them watch it, or if you're interested in seeing it just for historical value or for completeness then fine, but if you're looking for entertainment stay far, far, far away from it because it really, really sucks :)

Dan

juda

Agent
Real Name
Judy

Yeah same for me..would be a nice addition
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
A new DVD release of "Rescue From Gilligan's Island" came out in December, 2008 and it is available for order from Amazon.com for $11.49. Maybe this newer release will have better picture quality than the other one.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I saw 2 Gilligan's Island movies in a cheap bin in our $dollar store. I didn't buy it as I shook the cases and the disc was rattling inside. Too risky.

As I have had problems with movies in the passed where, even though the dvd had no scratches was brand new still the movie froze and did funny stuff

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Poor picture quality and funky edits. But the $1 DVD I have, with another movie I have yet to watch after 3 or 4 years on a flipper called "The Over the Hill Gang", was an okay deal.

I actually quite like RfGI. Always have. Certainly could have been better but it's fun seeing most of the old gang together again. I'd gladly rebuy for better quality. I'd buy the other short-lived series, those old cartoons, and the celebrity Family Feud with the GI cast as well. Gilligan and Skipper were among my heroes as a kid. One of the first things I remember seeing on TV was gilligan with the bird wings on.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

a dollar is a pretty high price for a beer coaster - if it's been scratched up in the box

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I went back the dvd's were still there. It sounded quite bad rattling inside the box. Even to lose a dollar I wouldn't take a chance.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Actually, you guys might want to check out Amazon.com. Rescue from Gilligan's Island was recently re-released on DVD from CreateSpace:

http://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Gilligans-Island-Bob-Denver/dp/B001MBTSTU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1248137025&sr=1-5

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It's says those are pressed on DVD-r, made on demand. :( No comments yet mention quality so we'll just have to wait. Probably the same darn thing. Not worth rebuying.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am huge fan of Gilligan's Island. I have S1-S3 on dvd. I have Rescue from Gilligan Island, but, the quality is very poor. I was hoping they would released the other two tv movies.

I also llike to see them release the cartoon as well. I have the saturday morning cartoon set with one of the episodes, but, i really like to have the series.

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
I have bought the public domain cheapo RFGI DVD and as others have said the quality is terrible. Being old enough to remember when it actually aired, I found that I was able to watch it and enjoy it. Having said that I would gladly pay 20 bucks for a collection of the 3 reunion movies if they were studio releases. I would probably buy "Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island" and "Castaways on Gilligan's Island" if I saw them in the dollar bin like I found "Rescue from GI." As to the quality of content, I really like "Rescue" and enjoy the others even through my more jaded eyes. Let's have the Gilligan's Island Movie Collection!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Bryan Krantz

I have bought the public domain cheapo RFGI DVD and as others have said the quality is terrible. Being old enough to remember when it actually aired, I found that I was able to watch it and enjoy it. Having said that I would gladly pay 20 bucks for a collection of the 3 reunion movies if they were studio releases. I would probably buy "Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island" and "Castaways on Gilligan's Island" if I saw them in the dollar bin like I found "Rescue from GI." As to the quality of content, I really like "Rescue" and enjoy the others even through my more jaded eyes. Let's have the Gilligan's Island Movie Collection!

I was only 11/12 years of age when the movies came out. I believe the Castaways on gilligans island was to be pilot for a new TV series, which was to be Love Boat on a tropical island, but, it never tooked off. The Harlem Globe Trotters was a good episode, because Jim Backus makes an appearnce and you could see that he was sick at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks