Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sony why not release a Frank Borzage double feature

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted June 07 2009 - 03:28 PM

Following the same idea applied to the Boetticher, Michael Powell and Sam Fuller collections, I think it would be awesome if Sony decided to release a Frank Borzage Collection as a double feature set, containing the incredible Man's Castle (Spencer Tracy and Loretta Young) and No Greater Glory. I would gladly add this to my dvd collection. What do you think about it?

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted June 07 2009 - 04:28 PM

Great idea! It was kind of sad to see a few Borzage films added to Warner Archive this month after the luxurious Borzage / Murnau box that Fox must've spent a fortune preparing last year.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,045 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 08 2009 - 12:07 AM

But, the sales more than likely helped kill the Fox classic DVD division. I did do my part and have the set (along with Ford at Fox) and would love to see a Sony double feature, but a least the WA allow us access where we would not if it was not there.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   ParineetaKumar

ParineetaKumar

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 08 2009 - 12:08 AM

Following the same idea applied to the Boetticher
Posted Image

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted June 08 2009 - 02:37 AM

A great idea! Does anyone know if the 75 minute version of A MAN'S CASTLE still exists? I hope that the Warner Archive brings out HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT. That and MOONRISE (sadly festering away in a LionsGate vault) are my favorite Borzages.
Charles Hoyt

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted June 08 2009 - 04:50 AM

I too have a hunch that huge Fox set played a major part in closing down Fox's classic releases. If that actually is the case then Borzage films are likely considered poison in the industry right now.
Riding the High Country - My Movie Blog

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted June 08 2009 - 05:24 AM

But we are talking now about a double feature dvd, not a gigantic box set dedicated to Borzage, as it was te Fox Borzage collection. I think this double feature, if released in a reasonable price, as it was the Michael Powell collector's choice, would sell well.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,045 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 08 2009 - 12:09 PM

I agree with you and think the double feature is a good idea, my remark on the box set was that an earlier poster was upset that Warners put a couple of Borzage films out in the Warner Archive and could not understand why they could not do a deluxe version as Fox did. I was happy that Warners released them at all and will be all over a Sony release of Borzage's.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted June 14 2009 - 02:58 PM

IMHO, the problem with the Borzage/Murnau set was the value. The Ford box was about 25 features at a $300 list, or $12 apiece. The B/M box was 12 features for $240 list, or $20 apiece, a 67% increase. Throw in the fact that those two filmmakers are far less well-known and accessible than Ford, and you have a recipe for disaster. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's waiting until the price drops way down. Mike S.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,491 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted June 14 2009 - 06:54 PM

No. No, you're not.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users