-

Photo
- - - - -

the Tony Awards 2009

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,103 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 07 2009 - 12:30 PM

So I just tuned into the Tony awards show to see Neil Patrick harris and
I'm sorry I missed the beginning monologue.
Anyway as I turn it on I see Shrek, the musical, and my first thought was
wth is that?
It must be successful or I guess it wouldn't be on the show but wow what
an odd thing to see.
facebook.com/whotony

#2 of 16 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted June 08 2009 - 01:41 AM

Just wait till next year, when it's Spider-man, the Musical! (I'm not making that up. Posted Image )
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 16 Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted June 08 2009 - 04:16 AM

I thought it was interesting how both Shrek and Farquad were played by Nathan Lane!?!?! Hello. Shrek had a scottish accent, people. Not an effeminate New York accent.

But the highlight was seeing Bret Michaels bite it after his lip sync.
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#4 of 16 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted June 08 2009 - 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tennison
I thought it was interesting how both Shrek and Farquad were played by Nathan Lane!?!?!
I'm not sure if that was meant as a joke, but Nathan Lane isn't in Shrek. He's starring in the current production of Waiting for Godot (in which he's great, BTW).

#5 of 16 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 08 2009 - 04:35 AM

Great closing number by NPH.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 16 Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor

• 755 posts
  • LocationDC area

Posted June 08 2009 - 05:37 AM

Aquarius-Let the Sun Shine In was marvelous. The lead singer was very good, and the one of the other young women in the group was amazing -- it seemed as if she were almost bursting with the intensity of her happiness. I previously noticed her when the cast performed on The Late Show with David Letterman. She's the one with red or reddish-brown hair, wearing a short light blue dress with horizontal stripes over jeans. I did some searching and learned that she is Allison Case, who was previously in Mamma Mia on Broadway. Others in the theater industry have noted her infectiousness.

#7 of 16 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted June 08 2009 - 07:40 AM

From playbill.com:

Quote:
Tony Awards Score Highest Ratings in Three Years
By Andrew Gans
08 Jun 2009

Neil Patrick Harris may not be a movie star, but the stage and TV actor helped deliver the highest-rated Tony Awards in three years, according to Nielsen preliminary ratings.

The 63rd Annual Tony Awards, hosted by Harris June 7 at Radio City Music Hall, were viewed by 7.45 million people, a 19 percent increase from the previous season.

The ceremony posted "double digit percentage gains in viewers and key demographics over last year," according to a press statement.

Compared to last year's ceremony, which was held June 15, 2008, The Tony Awards were up 11 percent in households, 20 percent in adults 25-54, 18 percent in adults 18-49 and added 1.18 million viewers (from last year's 6.27 million).

#8 of 16 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,103 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 08 2009 - 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben
Just wait till next year, when it's Spider-man, the Musical! (I'm not making that up. Posted Image )
looks like tix are for sale this year for the play next year, I just got this email.

v Well there is a link there but it doesn't show
facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 16 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,485 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 09 2009 - 08:08 AM

Sigh. . .I had no idea this was on until I saw it on the news the next day. Posted Image

What the heck was Bret Michaels doing performing at the Tonys? Is he in a show or something?

I saw Sebastian Bach in Jekyll & Hyde several years back. Afterwards, I heard someone say "that was like Hyde & Hyde!" Posted Image Then Bas came out to sign autographs for us '80s metalheads. He was very nice.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#10 of 16 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted June 09 2009 - 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
What the heck was Bret Michaels doing performing at the Tonys? Is he in a show or something?
No, but the show Rock of Ages celebrates the bands, the era and the music; so the show's producers thought it would be cool to have Poison perform on the awards show.

I merely report. I do not endorse. Posted Image

BTW, shows that did not see a post-Tony surge in ticket sales are already posting their closing notices. Guys and Dolls is closing this weekend, as is Neil Labute's Reasons to Be Pretty. A shame about the latter, because it's a great play, but it got crowded out.

#11 of 16 Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted June 09 2009 - 08:55 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if that was meant as a joke, but Nathan Lane isn't in Shrek. He's starring in the current production of Waiting for Godot (in which he's great, BTW).
It was a joke in that both actors seemed to be doing Nathan Lane impressions.
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#12 of 16 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted June 09 2009 - 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tennison
It was a joke in that both actors seemed to be doing Nathan Lane impressions.
That's probably because Nathan Lane draws heavily on a musical-hall style of performing that, since The Producers, is now closely identified with him (although it's not all he can do). People performed in that style long before Nathan Lane, and they'll probably still be performing that way after he retires. (For my taste, that style is all wrong for Shrek, but we're dealing with a corporate-produced confection here.)

The actor playing Shrek under all that rubber, Brian D'Arcy James, is a versatile guy with leading man looks. He played the Tony Curtis part in the musical version of Sweet Smell of Success a few years ago (not great, but not a disaster), which required a completely different approach. He was genuinely moving.

#13 of 16 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,485 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 11 2009 - 04:38 AM

Quote:
No, but the show Rock of Ages celebrates the bands, the era and the music; so the show's producers thought it would be cool to have Poison perform on the awards show.

Holy Hair Metal, Batman!!!!!!
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#14 of 16 Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,947 posts

Posted June 11 2009 - 04:41 AM

The gods of Broadway seemed to really come down on Bret Michael's head for the blasphemy of lip-syncing.

#15 of 16 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,375 posts

Posted June 12 2009 - 04:57 AM

Quote:
That's probably because Nathan Lane draws heavily on a musical-hall style of performing that, since The Producers, is now closely identified with him (although it's not all he can do). People performed in that style long before Nathan Lane, and they'll probably still be performing that way after he retires. (For my taste, that style is all wrong for Shrek, but we're dealing with a corporate-produced confection here.)

The actor playing Shrek under all that rubber, Brian D'Arcy James, is a versatile guy with leading man looks. He played the Tony Curtis part in the musical version of Sweet Smell of Success a few years ago (not great, but not a disaster), which required a completely different approach. He was genuinely moving.

I thought he did a very good job and probably little kids love it!

#16 of 16 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted June 12 2009 - 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
probably little kids love it!
I'm sure they do. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the target audience. Posted Image

It was bad luck for Dreamworks that so expensive a show had to open smack in the middle of an economic crisis. Taking the family is a pricey proposition. They're currently offering a deal where, with every full-price ticket to Shrek, you can buy up to three additional tickets at half-price.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow