-Not Logged In-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

*** Official THE HANGOVER Review Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Shad R

Shad R

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted June 03 2009 - 09:45 PM

Just got back from the screening. It's pretty good. I didn't like it as much as Old School, but it is worth checking out. Zack is definitely the funniest actor in the movie. He just plays an unstable goofball trying to fit in to perfection. There were some not so funny scenes and some scenes that went a little wacky that just didn't work, like the Chinese mobsters and the whole "I am Doug" (you'll know what I'm talking about before it happens, which is never a good thing). There are a few really great laugh out loud moments though. The Mike Tyson cameo is played slightly out of context in the trailer, and I promise you it's WAY funnier in the movie, and Heather Graham was a highlight. The explanation for how the tiger got into the bathroom and the whole wedding ring fiasco are the funniest bits. I give it a solid B.

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,411 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 05 2009 - 03:49 PM

This is a comedy without a lot of laughs, until the very end. And that's not a bad thing. The film sets up far more as a mystery movie. It reminded me a lot of "Murder By Death".

The characters wake up in their trashed hotel room missing a friend, and they can't remember anything that happened the night before. How did they get a cop car? A tiger? Why is the hotel trashed?

The mystery element is actually told pretty inventive; almost a homage to Bourne Identity type storytelling. As the characters try to figure out what happened, they run into people who want them dead, a marriage they don't remember and a heavy weight boxer (name not disclosed).

All of this sets up with some funny gags, but there is real tension built here as to "what did we get ourselves into". The end wraps up nicely with a relationship scene that EVERYONE had to see coming, but was still damn rewarding.

However, the film pays off as a comedy in the last 2 minutes; in those two minutes, everything is revealed as to WHAT really happened the night before, and those moments made me laugh harder then anything else in the film, because it made so much of the rest of the film make sense.. I kept wondering at the end "why would xyz character do this?" and then at the very end.. answers.

It's not the greatest film I've seen, but a few good moments, and Zack is classic.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image .5 / Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Quentin

• 2,669 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 05 2009 - 04:03 PM

Wow...I thought it was DANG hilarious. Zach is funny throughout. The Chinese storyline is outrageous and lol funny. Lots of silly bits throughout. And, a surprising amount of good character moments. The end payoff in the form of X-rated photos during the credits is priceless.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 24,427 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 06 2009 - 06:20 AM

I think MattCR's review is pretty accurate. While I might not have been rolling in the aisles, it's solidly funny and entertaining all the way through and the photos at the end are very funny and bring the movie together. If you've seen the trailer or commercials and think that you'll enjoy this, you probably will have a good time. If you've seen the trailer or commercials and think it's not your thing, you probably should steer clear.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted June 06 2009 - 08:36 AM

Watched it with a packed crowd late last night and had a blast. Audience was really into it. LOL moments from start to finish, especially finish. Posted Image I thought it was one of the funniest comedies I've seen in a long time.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 27,398 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 06 2009 - 09:22 AM

This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Hangover". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,345 posts

Posted June 06 2009 - 01:55 PM

So a groom and 3 friends go to Vegas for a bachelor party night 2 days before the wedding, and when they wake up, the groom is missing, and no one remembers anything from the night before, and all hell has broke loose in their villa suite at Caesar's. That's the setup. Enjoyed the slow build to finding out what happened the night before, and director Todd Philips almost always pulls back when the movie could have gone careening out of control, allowing for smaller laughs in service of peeling back the clues that leads the 3 best friends to uncovering the truth of it all. And by the time the final act concludes, the humor just builds and builds and ends on a high note (stay for the credits). The cast is overall solid, with Zach Galifianakis stealing most of his scenes as the socially awkward brother of the bride. Ed Helms and Bradley Cooper are also good as the groom's friends, and Justin Bartha is the groom. I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Go Dawgs!

• 2,110 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted June 07 2009 - 12:29 PM

Hilarious! Everybody on the crowd had a blast. Three and a half stars out of four.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Colton

Supporting Actor

• 795 posts

Posted June 09 2009 - 05:37 AM

Wife and I saw it last night. Loved it! Make sure you stay for the photo show at the end ... some of those pictures are REALLY DISTURBING! Posted Image

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted June 20 2009 - 10:24 AM

I thought this was a freakin' riot! Posted Image

I will never get the image of a naked chinese man suddenly springing from the trunk and onto Cooper's back out of my head. Posted ImagePosted Image

Heather Graham, an unquestionable hall of fame hottie, never fails to rev my engine and this is no exception. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   BAMFstang

• 4 posts

Posted June 23 2009 - 07:00 AM

Very funny flick with tons of quotes that will be repeated for a long time.

We are a pack of wolves, wandering the desert, searching for strippers and cocaine.

It's not a purse it's a satchel!

Rainman did it, and he was a ra-tard!

Counting cards isn't illegal, it's frowned upon, kind like masturbating on an airplane.Posted Image

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   drobbins

• 1,870 posts

Posted June 27 2009 - 02:26 PM

My wife, 16 yr old son, & I need to kill some time yesterday and this movie happened to fit the time we need to kill. Definitely a funny movie. My wife said that she hasn't laughed that hard in a while. It is full of non-stop unexpectedly funny random events. Well almost non stop. I thought it ran out of laughs as it wrapped up at the end.
I thought they went over the rules of an "R" rating with a few of those.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted July 01 2009 - 11:01 AM

I finally saw the movie because I'd heard tons of great word-of-mouth about it and was not disappointed!!! Totally hilarious, Zach Galafianakis  was awesome ( think of myself as a one-man wolf pack) as was the rest of the cast. It had a ton of good moments throughout, but the end credits was definitely the pay-off! 

...and now i want to go back to Vegas! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users