What's new

Is it okay to crush vitamins and mix with apple sauce? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just started taking vitamins (One a Day Men's Health) and the pills aren't coated at all so I have a hard time swallowing them.

So is it okay to crush them into a fine powder and mix them with something instead?

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I don't see a problem with that. I do know you're not supposed to take certain pills with grapefruit juice.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My mom can't have grapefruits. Damn, I can't remember the meds, but I think it might be her high blood pressure medication.

John, from my understanding (I could be wrong), One A Day vitamins are Water Soluble which means they dissolve in water and don't need to hold up to be ingested by the intestines, so it's ok to crush them up.

I believe Fat Soluble pills can't be crushed so that they can make their way into the intestines without being dissolved along the way.

But again, I could be wrong.

EDIT: One A Day's site says: "Most One A Day pills can be crushed" - A lot of help that is ;)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

If the pills are not coated (or time-release capsules), it is OK to crush them.

I'm not a pharmacist, but I am a nurse.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Crushed they taste terrible though, don't they? I believe I'd tried that brand but it upset my stomach, and I hated the taste.

I switched to the "capsules" of Bluebonnet Iron-Free Multi-Ones, which, while still a bit large, can be swallowed with water in a gulp.

Multivitamins - Multi One Iron Free by Bluebonnet, 90 capsules, Item #151786

...and a related one by Bluebonnet that is for men's prostate health, "Bluebonnet MPX 1000", again in capsule form.

I find capsules are the slippery-est, and therefore the best.

Both are stocked at WholeFoods.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Most statins have problems with grapefruit for some odd reason. All of mine said no grapefruit.

Get a large glass of water and swallow several times before trying to take a pill. Works for me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Works for me, too.

I did the applesauce thing when I was a kid, but didn't crush up the pills--they just slid down my throat whole along with the applesauce.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
They're 1,000mg - They're no problem for me (hell, I even take it at the same time with a 1,000mg Vitamin C and 200mg of another med), but I can see how it would be hard for most people....I guess I'm just a professional swallower. :D

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Another option is to throw them in a toilet. That's where they end up soon anyway (providing your kidneys are in working order).

Cees

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Avoid the temptation to look upwards when you are swallowing a big pill. It is actually easier if you look down a bit -- it opens up the space in the back of the throat, and, the pill will tend to float to the top exactly where it needs to be.

I don't believe the anti-vitamin message above. Most vitamins, if not needed, will indeed be passed out through your urine (that's why your urine turns bright yellow if you take a B supplement, for example), but that doesn't mean that the portion of the vitamin that you DO absorb is not useful.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

Using that logic we shouldn't eat or drink anything either because that ends up in the toilet as well (providing your kidneys and bowel are in working order).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

You asked for everything you got on that one, my friend lol. ;)

I'm not even going to bother trying to swallow them, i'm going with the apple sauce option since it's okay to crush them. I did notice today that my urine was very bright so I guess they're working okay hehe.

About being able to taste them crushed nope, I can't, all I could taste was the apple sauce which is great.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I just cut to the chase and went with Centrum Chewables.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Fluorescent Yellow pee= loaded with Vitamin C.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
And there are so many more, but this is a family forum ;) .

I've been crushing my Centrum into Oatmeal (Maple & Brown Sugar
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
). Urine is Orange Sherbert with Chestnut highlights.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Really terrible.
I remember the taste well, as a kid, HAD to take vitamins (one MORE thing mother was wrong about).
I had no skill for the swallow, so I would stick them in one of my favorite things, a piece of bread.
YUK.

BTW, as others have mentioned, if you're eating anywhere near a normal diet, the vitamins are a complete waste of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks