What's new

Panasonic dmp bd80 vs LG bd390? (1 Viewer)

sadbttru

Agent
Real Name
Shane
Was just about to buy the panasonic when i read about the lg. was wondering if anyone had experience with both. I was drawn to the panasonic over the samsung 3600 as the panasonic superior video and audio, but have not read a comparision between the panasonic and lg.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Has anybody used this Panasonic with the 7.1 analog outs?

i was just about to buy it when someone mentioned a glitch with the 7.1 analog outs.

Thanks.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I own the panasonic 80. I am using HDMI, so no analogs. so far I like it alot. I would recommend it. specially over samsung.. I am not familar with lg. but I have heard good things about it.

Jacob

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Posted by Camper: Has anybody used this Panasonic with the 7.1 analog outs?

i was just about to buy it when someone mentioned a glitch with the 7.1 analog outs.

I regularly monitor the BD60/BD80 thread over ath AVS Forum. I have not read about any glitches with the analog outs of the BD80. Most people who pay more for the 80 over the 60 do so for the analog outs.

The only regularly reported glitch with the Panasonic players if the (in)famous "random freeze", in which a Blu-ray disc will freeze at a random point that is not repeatable. I have the 60 and have experienced one "freeze" out of many discs. It is not a lockup. The movie freezes, and then resumes a second or two later. The effect is rather like a DVD layer change pause.

sadbttru

Agent
Real Name
Shane
still waiting for some lg 390 vs panasonic 80 thoughts....

any experience people have with the panasonic analog outs would also be helpful.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
LG is reportedly one of the fastest loading, that plus Netflix+wi-fi would be enough to make me want to try it first.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
I can't offer any "user report" information yet, but I just went through the same decision process (except mine included the Oppo BD-83 in addition to the 2 players in this thread). Ultimately, I ended up going with the LG390 (which should be in my hands tomorrow). I really wanted to move up to a player with some more features (I currently have the Panasonic BD-30). While I've loved the Panasonic line (had a BD-10 before it that I gave to my Dad when I got the BD-30), the lack of any wireless connectivity in the latest line is really what clinched it for me. That's also the same reason I opted against the Oppo (plus I've still got an Oppo 981 to use for upconverting if I need it). Hopefully, the unit will live up to my expectations (and most of the reviews I've read online), but I'm really impressed with the feature set. I can't wait to try out playing MKV files from a USB attached hard drive! Plus, the faster startup/load time will be a nice plus for regular Blu-Ray usage ....

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
I don't know anything about the LG, but I do have the Panasonic 80 and I can say that the analog outs on the Panasonic 80 work well for me. I've had the 80 for about a month now and I've had no problems with the audio coming through the analog outs (I have a 5.1 system). It sounds great to me. Video wise, I have had one momentary freeze while playing a BD. That happened last Friday night while watching Spiderman. Other than that, no problems and I would still highly recommend the Panasonic.

sadbttru

Agent
Real Name
Shane
now i am reading about the Oppo BDP-83, and it sounds like it would be a great player!

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Originally Posted by sadbttru

now i am reading about the Oppo BDP-83, and it sounds like it would be a great player!
The Oppo BDP-83 is indeed a great Blu-Ray player. It probably is the best player available if not it atleast is the best value player there is.

sadbttru

Agent
Real Name
Shane
just waiting for a price drop on that oppo player. i do not need wifi as my router is right there, so that is not a factor. just have to figure out the best place to buy. I am in canada.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by sadbttru

just waiting for a price drop on that oppo player. i do not need wifi as my router is right there, so that is not a factor. just have to figure out the best place to buy. I am in canada.
I wouldn't count on a price drop for the Oppo. The company's past history is that they do not drop prices on models.

sadbttru

Agent
Real Name
Shane
well i will hold out for 499 can. i see that it has already dropped from 580 to 554.

I am patient

this seems to be the one, although i have not heard too much about the lg 390 yet.

Joe Valha

Stunt Coordinator
I've had 2 weeks experience with my new LG390 and I love it. Picture is great, networking features are awesome (hard wired, not wireless) and it does load quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks