What's new

Home theater question (1 Viewer)

phantom76

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Hello,
What would be the best option to go with. HTIB or buy speakers, sub, and receiver separate? I am looking for something with an I-Pod dock, 7.1 surround, with multiple hdmi ports, small speakers with power at an reasonable price. I was looking into the ONKYO HT-S7100 7.1CH Home Theater System W/iPod Dock.

Thanks

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the best option would be to buy everything separate, but that all depends on your budget. I have never seen a HTIB with decent speakers, but if that's what your budget is, that may be the best option for you. We really need more info to make the best suggestion.

phantom76

Grip
Real Name
Mike
I heard the Onkyo HT-S7100 was a pretty good HTIB. I am trying to find surround speakers and sub with the same specs that I listed above with an excellent sound. My price limit is no more than $1200 and that is including reciever. Any suggestions?

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
yes, you will do better in the long run with buying the best pieces you can afford in each category and upgrading them over time.

before you go any further, see if you can listen to the HTIB next to something you could afford in separate speakers. (thins may be difficult.) the point is to see if you hear a big difference or not. some people don't.

with a budget of $1200, i'd recommend spending as little as possible on the receiver. there's a 5.1 onkyo for about $350 now with good features and connectivity assuming you need HDMI. i wouldn't spend any more than this. given your overall budget.

that leaves about $850 for center, 2 fronts, 2 surrounds and a sub. I'd look at about $400 for the sub, SVS pb10nsd is a great way to go if you can swing it. I's spend most of the remaining $450 on the center and front speakers and not more than $100 or so for the surrounds.

of course i haven't factored in cables or shipping. for the cables in this budget i wouldn't spend more than $50 for speaker wire and sub cable you can easily do this at partsexpress (under $40 for a sub cable and 100 ft of 14AWG wire).

there are too many speaker choices and combos to list and only your ears can tell you what you like (so you should listen to as many speakers as you can before you buy). but if i had your budget these are two options i'd consider:
get the SVS sub i mentioned earlier (PB10NSD) $450. fill out the speakers with energy from audio advisor for under $400 for this center, these for the fronts and these for the rears.

OR

contact saturdayaudio.com and pick up 3 of the PSBC1's on special for $140 each ($420 total), the monitor audio ASW100 sub for $300 and ask them if they can throw in something decent from their used selection and ship it all for $800-850. they might also be able to sweeten the deal with cables too. as an independent seller, they are both more willing and able to negotiate deals to complete sales.

good luck with whatever you choose...

Real Name
KapilNarain
ITS very useful post tnx to share it..i love that...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks