-

Photo

What's up with Death Race 2000?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted June 04 2009 - 11:09 AM

With David Carradine snuffing it earlier today, I thought I'd pay my respects by putting on some high quality schlock. I reach for my copy of Death Race 2000, when it dawns on me - wait a moment, I dont have Death Race?!? How the hell did that happen!

Anyway, checking the usual online sources to pick up a copy - the thing seems to be out of print! Is that a correct assessment, or am I just not seeing any copies for sale. I figure with that crappy remake having come and gone, Roger Corman would be pimping the hell out of his old flick. Or is some super sexy deluxe edition just around the corner?

(On that same note, I dont believe that Parhana isnt in my collection either - and no sign of it on DVD. Am I just missing something here?)

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts

Posted June 04 2009 - 01:43 PM

Death Race 2000 went out of print prior to the remake being released. Needless to say, the window to take advantage of the remake has since closed so your guess is as good as anyone's if we'll be seeing a reissue anytime soon.

You can always pick up "Cannonball" if you want to do the schlocky homage. It's very Corman-esque. Posted Image

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,014 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 04 2009 - 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony J Case
(On that same note, I dont believe that Parhana isnt in my collection either - and no sign of it on DVD. Am I just missing something here?)
Unfortunately, it's in the same position as Death Race 2000- it was released on DVD in the late 1990's but has gone out of print.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted June 04 2009 - 02:57 PM

Actually, Death Race 2000 has been released 3 times on DVD: once by Image, once by Concorde/New Horizons, and most recently by BVHE in 2005 as part of their licencing agreement with Roger Corman. Unfortunately, all three are out of print and FWIW, the first two were open matte transfers; only the BVHE is 16:9, and hard to get your hands on.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted June 04 2009 - 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H
Actually, Death Race 2000 has been released 3 times on DVD: once by Image, once by Concorde/New Horizons, and most recently by BVHE in 2005 as part of their licencing agreement with Roger Corman. Unfortunately, all three are out of print and FWIW, the first two were open matte transfers; only the BVHE is 16:9, and hard to get your hands on.

I might be wrong, but wasnt the BVHE of DEATH RACE has much stronger violence? Also the BVHE has an audio commentary so it is a fun disc.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted June 04 2009 - 04:23 PM

Quote:

Judging by the price, I'm going to assume THIS is the BVHE edition, right?

So didn't Roger shoot all his movies open matte? So while getting the widescreen version would be best, I guess I could live with one of the other versions (my pocket book will thank me Posted Image ). So of the two not 70 dollar versions, is there a preferable one?

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   sestamuch

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted June 04 2009 - 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony J Case
Judging by the price, I'm going to assume THIS is the BVHE edition, right?

So didn't Roger shoot all his movies open matte? So while getting the widescreen version would be best, I guess I could live with one of the other versions (my pocket book will thank me Posted Image ). So of the two not 70 dollar versions, is there a preferable one?

So they are still selling it apparently.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts

Posted June 04 2009 - 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestamuch
So they are still selling it apparently.
If you consider eBay as selling it, then yes. Nobody is selling it new...at least not in R1.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Screenwriter

• 1,431 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted June 05 2009 - 03:03 AM

When it was released last, it was released matted in 1.85. While I'm all for OAR, the framing to me was obviously intended for 1.33. For me, it's a little hard to watch this disc. I would prefer the open matte.

Frankenstein, a dear friend of mine, may you RIP.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   juda

juda

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted June 05 2009 - 07:37 AM

Quote:

I knew that it had been released before, i'm having trouble getting my hands on it

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow