What's new

Burn Notice Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
A new season of Burn Notice kicks off tonight- June 4th.

If you remember at the end of Season 2 Michael turn down Management's offer preferring to go it on his own. Now not only is Michael still burnt but Mgmt is no longer keeping him off police and foreign agencies's radar.

Its a great show trademarked by snappy pace and dialogue.

Below is a sneek preview between the Michael and the always great Bruce Campbell.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
We're really glad that it's back. It is one of the most entertaining shows on television. I'll have to DVR it tonight, though---I've got a hockey game to watch.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
One of my favorites (if not the)on TV now.
Got my 12 yr old son into last few episodes and he loves it.

I have been on board since S1EP1 and psyched it is back tonight.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
We will also get the gorgeous actress Moon Bloodgood
joining in some episodes of season 3

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Terrific episode. Fifteen minutes in, when we were already back to "The Client", I was rolling my eyes thinking despite John Mahoney's big threat we'd be right back at the status quo. The last fifteen minutes dispelled that pretty fast. While the formula is intact, Michael's clearly up against a fresh new caliber of challenges. For one thing, he exists again on the grid -- which I bet will make it a hell of a lot hard to just fade into the horizon after scamming some big shot crime boss.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
One thing that bothered me was the introduction of the guy as "Old Buddy" in quotes like that. It pretty much gave it away that he was going to turn on him for me.

I know it was referring to what he just said, but even still, to me it seemed obvious after that.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I was a bit disappointed in the season premier. I love this series, and watch all the old episodes, but thought this one lost a bit of the permise.

First, why would Michael be arrested for walking out of the ocean? Makes no sense.

Second, why would he let himself get arrested? He's evaded hit squads trying to kill him. He can't escape a few cops?

Third, why not have a way to talk your way out of prison. He's back on the grid. Give them your name, cooperate. He's done nothing wrong.

Don't get me wrong, the episode had some fun moments, but I just thought there were some things in there that weren't quite normal.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
He was accused of selling state secrets to our enemies. That's treason, with death as a potential result. My guess is that they had him on one of the many smaller infractions he's made since being dumped in Miami. Let's face it, he broke a lot of laws over the course of the first two seasons.

JyBhushan

Grip
Real Name
JyBhushan
ITS very useful post tnx to share it..i love that...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I agree that this one was good but not great. The storyline was generic and did not match up to the anticipation of seeing Michael operate without protection.

Joe_H

Screenwriter

In all fairness, I wouldn't expect his enemies to descend on him immediately after he jumps out of a helicopter either. I think it sort of makes sense. It's just that it's not as exciting for a season premier. :P

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I liked the season premier, but nothing grand.
At the end when Michael says he's going to get back in at his old job anyway he can, I think it would be interesting if in a future season, we see him getting back in unburned and then having some sort of new mystery to deal with.
I'd love to see a full season of Michael back doing what he use to be doing.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy

Ok, then why did the police let him go so easily? He never appeared in court. If he's held for treason, I'm guessing he wouldn't still be in a Miami jail. He'd be extradited to a secret facility. And it would take more than an "old buddy" to get him sprung.

I just think it was sloppy writing on the writer's parts.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Randy, Fi told Michael over the phone that someone had called his appearance in. The inference was pretty clear the call was made by Mgmt- especially when Michael received the card from him while in lockup.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Which is why I said, "My guess is that they had him on one of the many smaller infractions he's made since being dumped in Miami. Let's face it, he broke a lot of laws over the course of the first two seasons." Management tipped the cops off to one or more of his less than above-board methods; perhaps breaking and entering, trespassing, or assault. Nasty out of context, but not something that would preclude bail like treason would.

Which I suppose is still sloppy, since anything that would spur a chase like that should have at least dragged Michael before a court being getting released on bail. But I was able to fill in the blanks satisfactorily enough for my own needs.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

I didn't realize it was on an hour earlier, so I missed half of it. Fortunately, I caught it online.

I like the episode, and interested to see where this goes.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Who said anything about treason? The anonymous call warned that a guy who was "armed and dangerous" would be washing ashore soon, nothing about anyone being a traitor. Burning someone only requires some credible indication that the person has gone rogue. Actually charging someone with treason requires evidence and testimony.

And even if he had been charged with treason, which is a Federal crime, he wouldn't have been "extradited to some secret facility". (You extradite someone to another state or country, and the process is quite open.) He would have been charged by the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida - Alex Acosta, nice guy - and been arraigned in Federal Court. (Either the Ferguson Courthouse on North Miami Drive or the Doral Center - Dawson Bldg, on NW 52nd Terrace.) Now that he's back on everybody's radar, Michael is identifiably an American citizen. Treason is a serious crime, but a crime nonetheless and would be handled as a normal criminal-justice matter. It isn't like Michael is a foreign national caught on U.S. soil planning or carrying out a terrorist attack or an enemy combatant captured on a battlefield halfway around the world.

As noted above, Michael was up against legitimate authority, not criminal scum. Even so his first instinct was to blow up part of the hotel and escape in the ensuing chaos. Fiona had to remind him that the usual spy vs. spy rules of engagement didn't apply and that escaping in a cloud of smoke and flame (which might have hurt some civilians and almost certainly would have hurt some cops) was a lousy way to convince them that he wasn't armed and dangerous. Under the circumstances, surrender made more sense. (Especially since he wasn't actually guilty of anything worse than vagrancy - at least that the cops know about.)

As for why they let him go - they probably checked him out and realized they had no reason to hold him. Contrary to the anonymous tip, he wasn't armed when they caught him and they found no weapon when they searched the hotel. (Which you can be sure they did.) He didn't seem to be especially dangerous. Like I said, they could have charged him with vagrancy since he had no money and no ID on him, but that would have involved a fine that Sam would have paid. You don't arraign someone unless you're charging them with something, and I'm not sure what they could have charged him with. (I suppose running from the police, maybe resisting arrest, although they hadn't tried to place him under arrest and he never actively resisted any particular officer - he just tried to evade them. But it would have been hard to make either stick the way he washed ashore in suit pants and pretending to be disoriented.)

In any case, I doubt "Old Buddy" had much to do with getting Michael out. (Although he may have thought he did - or been happy to take the credit.) Either the cops cut him loose as a matter of course after the "armed and dangerous" thing turned out to be bogus or Management made another call to the cops and told them they'd picked up the wrong castaway.)

Regards,

Joe

Joe_H

Screenwriter

I hadn't remembered that they were all shown in quotes, thanks. And yeah, I know it's not a hidden code or something, but I personally think of 'old buddy' as meaning someone I was never actually friends with. I can't stand him in general, but there's a Dane Cook bit about this that is pretty accurate, someone says something like "how are you, buddy" to which he responds "okay, pal" and so on and so forth. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks