Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Air Force One blu ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,003 posts

Posted June 02 2009 - 10:24 AM

I don't see any comments on the Air Force One blu ray here. I found a review on Blu Ray.com. They found it to be a good disc.

I like this movie, and is probably one of Ford's last better roles. "Get off my plane!"

#2 of 32 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 4,999 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted June 02 2009 - 11:23 AM

On it's way from Amazon.Posted Image
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#3 of 32 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted June 02 2009 - 04:29 PM

I will definitely buy this on Blu-Ray if I can find it at a good price. The DTS-MA track should be fantastic. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#4 of 32 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,003 posts

Posted June 02 2009 - 04:43 PM

And I see Mr. Harris has posted a Few Words and says it's another excellent Sony release!

#5 of 32 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted June 02 2009 - 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent M
The DTS-MA track should be fantastic. Posted Image
You're going to be getting TrueHD 5.1, but, yes it is fantastic.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#6 of 32 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted June 02 2009 - 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Au
And I see Mr. Harris has posted a Few Words and says it's another excellent Sony release!
It is awesome on Blu. From the start this was one of my top 20 movies to buy as a Hi-Def release. Glad to say, I was not disappointed. Posted Image ......19 more to go.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#7 of 32 sestamuch

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted June 02 2009 - 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Excellent... looking forward to it.

#8 of 32 Paul_Warren

Paul_Warren

Second Unit

• 350 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted June 02 2009 - 10:15 PM

Was lucky enough to get this about 2 years ago when they released it on Region B. Audio is astonishing & this + Executive Decision (not on BD yet) both have probably some of the loudest & most aggressive sound design ever. The LFE is extremely powerful (foundation shaking level!!) and all those jet flybys still sound amazing. PQ is as you would expect not perfect but a massive improvement over the DVD.

Well worth buying as the BD presentation makes it one of the few movies you can just watch and be sucked into the story even if you know the film inside out.

#9 of 32 Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted June 02 2009 - 11:45 PM

Any word if this release is any better than the UK BD?

#10 of 32 David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 757 posts

Posted June 03 2009 - 03:34 PM

As far as audio the only thing I can take off for is sometimes dialogue was masked by the sound effects, otherwise this is near reference!

#11 of 32 Hamilton72

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted June 03 2009 - 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale MA
Any word if this release is any better than the UK BD?

My understanding so far is that it's worse. My biggest gripe is that the Russian/English captions are now placed under the image.

This is bad if:

a) You want to watch the movie exactly as it was show in theatres or presented initially on DVD (gasp!) or

b) You mask your movies at home so only the 2.35:1 image is visible.

I certainly fit into the first of those categories and can sympathise with the second!

Bad Sony. Bad.
Respect and preserve the film-makers' intentions:

1. Original aspect ratio
2. Natural film grain
3. Original theatrical captions/subtitles

#12 of 32 Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,374 posts

Posted June 04 2009 - 01:26 AM

Unfortunately this seems to be standard practice with Sony. Posted Image Drove me nuts while watching The Da Vinci Code.

#13 of 32 Hamilton72

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted June 04 2009 - 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Preischl
Unfortunately this seems to be standard practice with Sony. Posted Image Drove me nuts while watching The Da Vinci Code.

They did it on that too? Bloody hell. Okay I won't be getting that either.

I will not be taken out of the movie by having PART of the movie flashed at me from underneath it!

1. Original aspect ratio
2. Natural film grain

#14 of 32 ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted June 04 2009 - 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton72
I will not be taken out of the movie by having PART of the movie flashed at me from underneath it!
And I'll be taken into it by viewing as much of the picture as possible. Posted Image
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#15 of 32 Hamilton72

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted June 04 2009 - 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson
And I'll be taken into it by viewing as much of the picture as possible. Posted Image

Well good luck with that, but it ain't how the movie was meant to be seen!

1. Original aspect ratio
2. Natural film grain

#16 of 32 Dan M

Dan M

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted June 04 2009 - 12:55 PM

definitley a no-no for those of us with constant heighth setups.

#17 of 32 Hamilton72

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted June 04 2009 - 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M
definitley a no-no for those of us with constant heighth setups.

Sony seems to be quite good at listening to customer feedback and taking action, etc. Any chance somebody with studio contact could request that they leave theatrical subtitles alone or, if they really MUST replace them, that they at least put them in the same place as they were theatrically?

This issue is as important to me as DNR and EE is to other people. This is actually movie CONTENT that's being altered.

There are now THREE Sony titles that I will not upgrade to BD purely because the captions are wrong:

Bram Stoker's Dracula
Air Force One
The Da Vinci Code.

And since Air Force One is one of my favourite movies from the 90s that's quite disappointing.

1. Original aspect ratio
2. Natural film grain

#18 of 32 Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Second Unit

• 385 posts

Posted June 05 2009 - 02:44 AM

I'm pretty sure that the reason SONY is having subs be player generated is so that the same transfer can be used for any language. Hopefully they can at least get them to come up the same place on screen.

#19 of 32 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,003 posts

Posted June 05 2009 - 03:52 AM

Interesting, so many recent postings about subtitles not being the original as was shown theatrically.

I personally don't have an issue most of the time. Star Trek had specific subtitles in a particular font in the first Trek film and I can see wanting the studio to leave it as it was.

I actually appreciate the subtitles under the frame most of the time. Perhaps the technology exists for them to allow the user to select subtitles as seen theatrically or in modified form. But then, that's too technical for Joe6Pack probably who does not care.

#20 of 32 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted June 05 2009 - 05:32 AM

What's been bugging me over this controversy over the subtitles is: How do the people claiming to "know" that burned-in subtitles are the director's intent come by this info? It seems to me that they'd rather have more of the image presented, but are forced to do so by the limitations imposed on them by the theater set-up. "Theatrical" in that case has little to nothing to do with it, which seems to be borne out by the fact that masters without the burned-in subtitles obviously exist (even on decades-old films) and seem be the de facto way of doing things. That would mean that the director's intent wasn't to have them permanently attached to the image. If there's evidence to the contrary, by all means provide it, but I can't find anything supporting this argument.

I will allow that the 2.35 can be frustrating, especially since Blu-ray specs allow for authoring configurable subtitle placement. On the other hand, I can see definitely see a cost-benefit point of view that spending the extra time and money on this to please an almost immeasurably small percentage of their viewers may simply be not worth it in an economic climate where streamlining is of the essence. Anyhow, this release in particular seems to have screwed up, but Sony is making a good effort to resolve it.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Back to Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow