Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Gran Torino

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 of 35 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,427 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 05 2009 - 11:03 AM

So later this month when Transformers 2 makes in its first week what Gran Turino made in its U.S. entire run, is Transformers 2 a better movie because it "works so well with viewers"? Once again, I loved Gran Turino- it connected with me and I found it moving but clearly it didn't work as well for Cameron.

#22 of 35 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,268 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted June 05 2009 - 01:58 PM

Cameron shouldn't have to write a review about why the movie works so well with other viewers. He should write a review to back up his own feelings, which is what he did. I don't agree with his opinion but I don't want him to do some fake review where he gives the opinions of other people. I enjoy reading various opinions on movies so I'd love to hear your thoughts as well. If you posted a review here to show the "other side" of Cameron's opinion, I'm sure no one would object and I for one would love to hear your thoughts on the film.

#23 of 35 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,564 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 05 2009 - 04:04 PM

I finished the movie earlier tonight. The movie was a very good movie but the end is what makes it a great movie too me. I don't mean what happened at the end but how it got there, specifically the 5-10 minutes before the big scene. Rob, you criticized the review without being specific and without offering a review of the movie yourself. I give it 4.5 / 5 one of Clint's best and the ending seemed to be
maybe his way of saying that's it.
The acting by the Hmong poeple was fine and gave it a real feel.
facebook.com/whotony

#24 of 35 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted June 13 2009 - 08:45 PM

Anyone can confirm if the blu ray have the same subtitles font as the DVD ? The DVD subs are pointy and near unreadable, they look like some kind of amateur bootleg custom subtitle font for a foreign movie. I have no clue how no one mentioned this in the DVD thread.

#25 of 35 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,564 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 14 2009 - 01:15 AM

I thought the subs were easy to read. ddn't seem pointy to me.
facebook.com/whotony

#26 of 35 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted June 15 2009 - 04:57 PM

Good, cos the DVD ones are not standart, they are some kind of 'stylish' font.

#27 of 35 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,654 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 11:45 PM

It is all subjective. I liked the movie more than Cameron. His review is well thought out and his analysis insightful. I note the issues he had with the film as well but their detraction from my enjoyment of the movie was less than for Cameron. C'est la vie.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#28 of 35 OFFLINE   Hamilton72

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted July 17 2009 - 11:59 AM

Speaking of subtitles...  here's a little irritant:

I just watched Gran Torino which - unfortunately - replaces the theatrical Hmong/English subtitles with player-generated ones.

That's bad enough.

But when I watched the Eastwood documentary on the disc the English subtitle defaults to "ON" and I had to go in and turn them off. WTF is THAT all about?

So is this another problem with using player-generated captions? The player then gets confused about what stream is supposed to be reading elsewhere on the disc?

I'm using a Panasonic BD-55 by the way.
Respect and preserve the film-makers' intentions:

1. Original aspect ratio
2. Natural film grain
3. Original theatrical captions/subtitles

#29 of 35 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,427 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 17 2009 - 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton72 

But when I watched the Eastwood documentary on the disc the English subtitle defaults to "ON" and I had to go in and turn them off. WTF is THAT all about?

I certainly don't know for sure but it sounds like a player 'hiccup' rather than a problem with the disc.

#30 of 35 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted July 17 2009 - 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hamilton72 

I'm using a Panasonic BD-55 by the way.
Had that happen as well. Also a Panasonic player, though (BD-50), so I can't say if it's a player issue or a disc problem.

#31 of 35 OFFLINE   urbo73

urbo73

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted July 18 2009 - 09:32 AM

I still don't understand why a review of the Blu-ray disc, needs any sort of review of the film itself. It seems every Internet review that should be descriptive of the transfer, has to have a film review. I wish reviewers would stick to the transfer - the Blu-ray review, instead of the film itself. I can get a better review many other places if I need to..

#32 of 35 OFFLINE   MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted July 18 2009 - 10:10 AM

Can't you just skip the movie review, then?

It just seems like a grumpy thing to say.  I believe a lot of BD users wait for titles to hit Blu-ray before they see them.  I think a review of the film and then the technical aspect seems like the way to go.  If I didn't, I'd just read the technical part.

Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#33 of 35 ONLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,111 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 18 2009 - 11:11 AM

Had the subtitles turn on for me too with Panasonic BD-10

#34 of 35 OFFLINE   urbo73

urbo73

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted July 18 2009 - 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by MattFini 

Can't you just skip the movie review, then?

It just seems like a grumpy thing to say.  I believe a lot of BD users wait for titles to hit Blu-ray before they see them.  I think a review of the film and then the technical aspect seems like the way to go.  If I didn't, I'd just read the technical part.
I suppose it came off as grumpy - to me it's just a bit funny/weird, that's all. I don't buy anything I have not seen before, and if I want a review, there are a lot of places to go to for more in-depth. That's all. I wish more focus would be on the transfer and such, rather that a film synopsis. This goes for many A/V publications as well. RAH does the best job :)

I don't know that a lot of users buy Blu-rays w/o having seen the film. I sure some do, but a lot? Dunno. But perhaps you're right, because I do see people with HUGE collections of DVDs/BDs. I thought my collection of 600 DVDs/BDs combined is large, but that's nothing these days!

Anyhow, no grumpiness here!

#35 of 35 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 11:48 AM

I rented this and it's the first Warner BD-Live disc I've had access to and wanted see how they executed that. So thought I'd mention there are a couple of GT extras via the BD-Live.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users