What's new

Question about music differences between regions? (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
In general, when a region 1 based show has music substitution and the region 2 does not, wouldn't that mean that they are based on two separate masters? In which case, you can't assume the video quality would be the same between regions?

Or is an original master struck first from the source elements and a distributor in region 2 gets access to the master prior to music edits being made for the region 1 release?

I understand why a region 1 based show may have rights issues, but why is it the alternate regions seem to ignore this potential issue? Are they not as accountable, or do they just not care or believe it to be a risk?

I ask because in the Equalizer thread it mentions the R2 region not having any music edits like R1. However, I couldn't find a review on the R2 release that validates if the transfer is as respectable as R1 (based on a review of the R1 release). Also, there tend to be differences many times when it comes to extra's.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Music tracks are recorded separately from video, correct? If so it would be easy to make an edit.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
For the UK at least, there is a blanket licensing agreement that allows the music to be released on DVD.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

That's interesting to know. So when a studio releases in both the US and UK in NTSC and PAL versions respectively with music edit on the NTSC release but no music edits on the PAL release, then it is probably safe to say that the same video masters were used but different audio? For example, the Equalizer released on DVD by Universal Studios region 1 and Universal Pictures UK in region 2 (I assume they are related).

However, if it is not a studio release at all or one is a studio release and the other a 3rd party distributor, then there is really no way of telling whether the same video master was used for both.

It is interesting that studio's sometimes choose to make separate region 1 and region 2 releases as shown in Amazon US and UK, but at other times they just choose to release a region 1 and just import it to the UK as a region 1. I wonder what the thought process is between the two?

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
It's quite complicated, and I'm certainly no expert on the topic.

I picked up this info through some of my Doctor Who contacts, because a couple of episodes use Beatles songs on their soundtracks. Those episodes will have to be modified for R1, but will be released unedited in R2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks