92 replies to this topic

#61 of 93 OFFLINE   bmasters9

bmasters9

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted September 23 2009 - 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker View Post

One thing I noticed on the back of the sets is that Bonanza is copyrighted by NBC/Universal.  So how did this end up with CBS/Paramount?
I think I read in the closing credits a few times that the series was filmed at Paramount Studios in Hollywood. That may be where the CBS/Paramount connection comes from.
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's original opening from The Prudential College Football Report in the 1985 season, Jim Nantz's debut)

#62 of 93 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,981 posts

Posted September 23 2009 - 11:01 AM

Actually,BONANZA actually has more of an interesting ownership map

In 1971, as a result of the fin-syn rules, the FCC barred the participation of networks in the syndication of their own programs,so in 1973 NBC Sold rights to the series to National Telefilm Associates, which was and later changed its name back to Republic Pictures in the 1980s. Republic would become part of  Spelling Entertainment in 1994. (Which also has aquired WORLDVISION at this time.)

Viacom/Paramount would eventually Acquire Spelling Entertainment, and when Viacom split Paramount into two parts - one for Television (CBS,inc) and one for Theatrical (Paramount Pictures)  CBS Television Distribution, got  the television side of Republic's holdings) still retains the syndication distribution rights to the series.

So,CBS DVD is the home video rights holder, while the series copyright remains with NBC Universal. Bonanza Ventures (which owns the concepts) is a co-licensee of the Bonanza material with both NBC/Universal and CBS.

The ironic part in all of this is That the Spelling Entertainment  owned WORLDVISION was the company that spun-off of ABC Television Syndication arm under the 1971 Ruling, and VIACOM was the company that spun off of CBS’s Television Syndication division at the same time!

What comes around,goes around!

#63 of 93 OFFLINE   LizH

LizH

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted September 29 2009 - 10:17 AM

After reading this, there's hope for Max Headroom yet! /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

#64 of 93 OFFLINE   shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted January 06 2010 - 07:14 PM

Hey Bonanza fans, can we expect an announcement on Season 2, parts one and two, soon?
Or is there any evidence that this series hasn't sold well?

Considering how popular it was and how long it ran, and how so many of its actors became TV icons, i'm shocked that I had to travel 8 pages into the past to find this thread!
Oh well, those who want more Bonanza say 'Eye!'

#65 of 93 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted January 06 2010 - 11:22 PM

I sure hope we get season 2 this year.  I am almost done with season 1.

#66 of 93 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted January 07 2010 - 05:40 AM

Patience, my friends, patience. We just got word of Season One last June and release was in September. A show like this is probably not going to be fast-tracked just yet, so I wouldn't expect an announcement for Season 2 until June at least. We go beyond June with no word, then I'd start fussing.

So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#67 of 93 OFFLINE   kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted January 26 2010 - 01:25 AM

Sad news to report, Pernell Roberts has passed away this morning.

#68 of 93 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted January 26 2010 - 04:16 AM

Rest in peace Pernell.

#69 of 93 OFFLINE   shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted September 27 2010 - 06:16 AM

Yippee Kayyay! Season 2 is apparently on the way...

http://www.classicfl...mber-a-826.html

Tell Sheriff Coffey we'll be late -- Hop Sing's made a mess of grub and we're putting down stakes!

#70 of 93 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted September 27 2010 - 01:20 PM

It is about time.  Began to consider buying the German set at ridiculous prices.

#71 of 93 OFFLINE   Executive

Executive

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted September 27 2010 - 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by bmasters9 

I think I read in the closing credits a few times that the series was filmed at Paramount Studios in Hollywood. That may be where the CBS/Paramount connection comes from.

BONANZA was filmed at Paramount for the first 11 years. They moved the show to Warner Bros. studios for the 12th Season in 1970.

That's the reason for the season premiere "The Night Virginia City Died", where a firebug burns down much of Virginia City: A good excuse for using new western sets at a different studio. At least the same Ponderosa Ranch house set was kept.

#72 of 93 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,316 posts

Posted September 27 2010 - 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Executive 

BONANZA was filmed at Paramount for the first 11 years. They moved the show to Warner Bros. studios for the 12th Season in 1970.

That's the reason for the season premiere "The Night Virginia City Died", where a firebug burns down much of Virginia City: A good excuse for using new western sets at a different studio. At least the same Ponderosa Ranch house set was kept.

I am not big in shows being released on volumes. At this rate it will take about 12 yrs for this show to be released. I am going to pass on this show for now and focus my attention on other shows that are close to completion.

#73 of 93 OFFLINE   Executive

Executive

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted September 28 2010 - 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by younger1968 

I am not big in shows being released on volumes. At this rate it will take about 12 yrs for this show to be released. I am going to pass on this show for now and focus my attention on other shows that are close to completion.

Well, some of us have waited years for BONANZA to be properly duplicated and released in DVD season sets as it is,  so what else are you going to do for the next 12 years to get to Season 14? Posted Image

#74 of 93 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted September 28 2010 - 03:31 AM

I'm happy to see that CBS/Paramount hasn't given up on this (and HGWT etc.).  Seems like there's life in archival TV on DVD yet!  I didn't get Season One, since I already had the German version, so I'm pleased that they've loaded this one with extras.

#75 of 93 OFFLINE   shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted September 28 2010 - 04:59 AM

I'd prefer to have full season releases also, but this is better than having no season or dvd-r at dvd prices.

Unfortunately, we both know that the chances of all the series we want getting released are limited -- and you could be waiting a long time for most series to be completely released. Time-Life seems to have the idea right (altho i'd quibble about their method - but they are releasing full series), and Timeless is doing a great service with truly limited resources (and on some really rare shows -- Soldiers of Fortune just announced today!) and Hawaii 5-0 looks like its going to go the distance; too many of them are start and stop.

I'm not going to say that holding off for full-season releases or until the full series is out is guaranteeing that it won't happen, but too often it seems that way. Just as the flood to get those archive dvd-rs has essentially given Warners an easy-out on some great series of noir sets, classic actor/actress sets.

#76 of 93 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 837 posts

Posted September 28 2010 - 05:26 AM

Is the second season, the year when Bonanza started having their "comedy" episodes? In my opinion their best episodes were the humorous ones between Adam (and more strongly little Joe, and Hoss)?

James

#77 of 93 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted September 28 2010 - 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by shoeshineboy 

I'd prefer to have full season releases also, but this is better than having no season or dvd-r at dvd prices.

I'm not going to say that holding off for full-season releases or until the full series is out is guaranteeing that it won't happen, but too often it seems that way. Just as the flood to get those archive dvd-rs has essentially given Warners an easy-out on some great series of noir sets, classic actor/actress sets.

Since Warner is now charging $24.95 for a 64-minute DVD-R of Peter Lorre's Stranger on the Third Floor, the $40 or so that this 5-disc set will end up costing at Amazon doesn't seem so bad anymore.  TV on DVD, even in its reduced state, actually seems less moribund that classic movies on DVD now.

#78 of 93 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted October 04 2010 - 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by JamesSmith 

Is the second season, the year when Bonanza started having their "comedy" episodes? In my opinion their best episodes were the humorous ones between Adam (and more strongly little Joe, and Hoss)?

James

My favorite episode of all time is the 5th season episode "Hoss and the Leprecauns".  Very funny

#79 of 93 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 837 posts

Posted October 04 2010 - 10:07 AM

I seem to recall there was one with a Spanish girl, who all three sons tried to impress with a mock bull fight. The encounter with the bovine left Virginia City in a mess,and the three boys worried about being on the receiving end of Ben's wraith.

James

#80 of 93 OFFLINE   shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted October 04 2010 - 11:20 AM

I've noticed that Paramount is only marketing season 2 vol 1 as a standalone -- when we had the option of buying season 1 vol 1&2 together at a discount right out of the hopper. Now should i wait for them to bundle season 2 volumes together or ...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users